Quad rigs (outrigger rigs)
BIKERBILLIE
Posted 2/26/2013 12:51 AM (#69840)
Subject: Quad rigs (outrigger rigs)

Washington state recently passed a law that made outriggers or Quad rigs (motorcycle + outrigger wheels) illegal. With the help of the Legislative Action Committee and ABATE and Rep. Matt Shea, the law was rescinded and it is now LEGAL to ride a motorcycle with out rigger wheels. Thanks to people who keep an watchful eye on legislation that affects motorcyclists. They are now trying to get the mandatory helmet law voided. They want to make it like other states that only require motorcyclists who are under 21 to wear a helmet. Also, they are trying to get it made legal to where a motorcyclist who is stopped at a traffic light that wants to turn left, and the light doesn't change for them, to be able to proceed left after waiting for a full cycle of the traffic light.

Edited by BIKERBILLIE 2/26/2013 1:20 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 2/26/2013 4:36 PM (#69849 - in reply to #69840)
Subject: Re: Quad rigs (outrigger rigs)

I for one am sorry to see this rescinded. We tried these things on the training range while setting up the sidecar trike education prograhm and found them not to be safe for swerving type manuvers and as such they are not allowed in the class. If not allowed in class for saftey reasons why would any one want one on the street? Also, is it smart to reduce rear wheel traction, add mass to the bike by adding more wheels and then not put brakes on these wheels? I think not. A bike with this set up with out brakes will take longer to stop. Also federal law and most states define a motorcycle as having 3 or fewer wheels. With 4, under federal law one would think you should have to meet automotive crash standards and as such while Washington state may not now have a law against these they still are not legal under federal law. So if these were/are legal, why not highway capable 4 wheelers such at the GG quad which I have had a chance to ride and has first rate saftey and proper full enginering, not just two extra wheels stuck on it.
Jay G
DRONE
Posted 2/26/2013 10:19 PM (#69857 - in reply to #69840)

I'm all in favor of quad rigs and no helmets too, as long as the rider signs an organ donor card. I'm getting older and might be needing some new parts!
Hack'n
Posted 2/27/2013 10:44 AM (#69870 - in reply to #69840)

I've had customers in the past who wanted to trade in new Voyager setups within a week of mounting for a sidecar(for some reason).
I also saw an outrigger equip't. 1500 GL turn turtle turning into the driveway of the Lynnwood, WA A&W which has a slight incline.

Lonnie
jaydmc
Posted 2/27/2013 10:52 AM (#69872 - in reply to #69840)

We have taken many of these type of units off. When we have a new employee who has not ridden one we have them take it out in our large parking lot, take it up to about 10mph and then swerve hard one way and then back like you would if a deer jumped in front of you and then you had to get back in your lane. The only way to recover from the head shake this induces is to get on the brakes hard and stop.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
BIKERBILLIE
Posted 3/3/2013 2:49 AM (#69956 - in reply to #69872)

The three people that I know that have them have ridden them all over North Idaho and Eastern Washington. One fellow has ridden over 40,000 miles with his with no problem. I think it is like anything else, you must know how to ride the rig and know what its' characteristics are. I have 5 different sidecar rigs and each one of them steers differently and handles differently. I am sure the quad rigs are the same. Two of the owners here in North Idaho are handicapped and would not be able to ride if it weren't for the outriggers. They are both unable to purchase sidecar rigs at this time because of finances. If it weren't for the quad rigs they would have to give up riding completely. They are both veterans and it would be a shame if they had to give up riding.
jaydmc
Posted 3/6/2013 10:36 AM (#70037 - in reply to #69956)

Bille, Like any thing else, you can get away with it until the one time when you have to manuver hard. The argument of running these wheels due to finances is a false one. Many sidecars including our Kenna are less money then these "training wheels"
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
thecount77
Posted 6/10/2013 6:33 PM (#72074 - in reply to #69840)

I have a vague idea what an outrigger is (maybe because they are rare). Whether they are safe or not, I think that there are enough laws out there already and they should be street legal. It should be up to the riders to assess their own risks. What will be next to outlaw? Outlaw sidecars because they can be tricky too? See my point?
jaydmc
Posted 6/10/2013 7:49 PM (#72079 - in reply to #69840)

Yes, if you are on a road with no one else to hit they yes it should be up to the rider, but when you are going be on the road with other people to hit, then yes there should be laws.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
BIKERBILLIE
Posted 6/11/2013 1:58 AM (#72086 - in reply to #69840)

Washington state recently passed the law that makes quad rigs legal again. It passed unanimously. After reviewing all the facts and statistics concerning the quads, the legislators decided that they were safe and passed the law stating so. Sadly , they did not act on the legislation that would have made it legal to make a left hand turn at a traffic signal that does not automatically turn green for motorcycles turning left, after waiting for a the light to change and it not doing so. Idaho has had this law in action for several years now. Too bad Washington does not follow suit.
mtcvoyager
Posted 7/15/2014 2:34 PM (#78843 - in reply to #69840)

Hello all,

We know it has been over a year since the last post, but people still view these pages. We just wanted to clear up any confusion within this thread.

1. The outrigger style kits are legal in the State of Washington. See House Bill 1334. They changed the motorcycle identification to not count add-on stabilizing wheels in the 3 wheels or less count. It was a simple and quick process getting this changed because it is clear these kits are effective.

2. The only reason the outrigger style kits were not allowed in Washington's safety classes, for some time, was because of one man. The exact same organization who runs the safety classes in Virginia allows our units. Washington and Virginia's safety classes are literally the same organization - except Virginia apparently doesn't have inexperienced people with strong, unsupported opinions.

3. If the Voyager kits couldn't handle sharp maneuvers, how did they pass inspection for police departments to start using them in Pittsburgh and Columbus, OH?

We have nothing against sidecars, but clearly "jaydmc" has no experience or knowledge about these kits.

Sincerely,

Motorcycle Tour Conversions, Inc.
(815) 434-7900
mtcvoyager@gmail.com
www.mtcvoyager.com
jaydmc
Posted 7/15/2014 3:19 PM (#78845 - in reply to #78843)

Here is my post from above

I for one am sorry to see this rescinded. We tried these things on the training range while setting up the sidecar trike education prograhm and found them not to be safe for swerving type manuvers and as such they are not allowed in the class. If not allowed in class for saftey reasons why would any one want one on the street? Also, is it smart to reduce rear wheel traction, add mass to the bike by adding more wheels and then not put brakes on these wheels? I think not. A bike with this set up with out brakes will take longer to stop. Also federal law and most states define a motorcycle as having 3 or fewer wheels. With 4, under federal law one would think you should have to meet automotive crash standards and as such while Washington state may not now have a law against these they still are not legal under federal law. So if these were/are legal, why not highway capable 4 wheelers such at the GG quad which I have had a chance to ride and has first rate saftey and proper full enginering, not just two extra wheels stuck on it.

As to being allowed in Virginia classes. I have been told that one was allowed to try the class and did so poorly that they will never allow another. I was told this by a chief instructor for the program. My opinion may be strong but it is supported by the facts. These units were allowed on the range to see how they worked, they failed. This is not an "unsupported opinion" it is fact.

I think my post fairly well shows that I do know what I am speaking of and do have experience with these. It also shows that we take safety seriously. I certified in the first ever instructor prep class and two times after when the course was updated. My wife serves on the advisory board for the S/tep program and was involved with writing the current course. Also as I own a company that builds items for use on the road I am very familiar with federal codes which define a motorcycle as having 3 or fewer wheels. So these "units" are not legal in any state, just some state chose not to enforce federal law.

So before you claim that I have no experience or knowledge of these units check your facts as I do. Further twice at venues back in the late 1990's where both my company and the Voyager company were both vending at I ask how they get around the federal law, both times what they did was turn their back on me and find some one else to speak with.

So I still have to ask how you get around federal law? As far as I can tell you ignore the law hoping that it will not be enforced.

Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Peter Pan
Posted 7/15/2014 4:43 PM (#78848 - in reply to #69840)

Nein Danke, ohne mich!
Ich bleibe bei 2 oder 3 Rädern!
I have spoken.

A few days on these hole seakers in our mountain range and you might find me in a 4 wheeled wheel chair.
No thanks without me. I stay with 2 or 3 wheels.
Sven

Edited by Peter Pan 7/15/2014 4:45 PM