Motorcycle sidecar trailer?
Moodierr
Posted 8/26/2013 9:08 PM (#73623)
Subject: Motorcycle sidecar trailer?

Regular

I AM INTERESTED IN GETTING A OPEN TRAILER FOR MY GL1500 WITH A Daytona 2+2 CAR.Problem is the width of the rig.I sold my wide body enclosed trailer that I used was just kind of overkill for this rig.The width will only go between the axles on the wide body 8 1/2' trailers.I used a 8x10 snowmobile this year for Sturgis but am skeptical of those small wide tires they use on those trailers.I haven't seen any one that makes one of the open aluminum trailer with the wide axles?Any body have any thoughts on this?Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 8/26/2013 10:43 PM (#73625 - in reply to #73623)
Subject: RE: Motorcycle sidecar trailer?

Expert

Take a look at Aluma Trailers. http://www.alumaklm.com/home.html I've got one [actually my second one] and I'm really happy with it. They show open utilities up to 101" wide. My trailer is not quite stock and that's why I believe they might be a candidate. They seem to be willing to put together parts from different units to make what you want. Good Luck!
SideCar
Posted 8/30/2013 1:59 PM (#73687 - in reply to #73623)

Veteran

The aluminium route would probably be lighter weight, but I have a plain old wood floored utility trailer that has a tailgate ramp and side ramps for ATV loading. It is 102 wide in total (less at the wheel wells) and my Valkyrie with a 2 seat Texas sidecar fits in between the wheel wells with a few inches to spare.

I'll also throw out one of the things that I recently added that is a great addition - Gorilla Lift springs for the tailgate ramp. My kids and I added those before we went to the national rally in Arkansas this summer. In addition to it being easier to open and close the tailgate, it is much safer in the event it slips out of your hand. My 8 year old daughter can now open and close the tailgate.
jkhfjfh7
Posted 5/16/2016 4:37 AM (#89151 - in reply to #73623)
Subject: Re: Motorcycle sidecar trailer?

New User

my opinion is use aluminum trailer because it is good to transport vehicle.
http://www.mountainwesttrailer.com/
Al Olme
Posted 5/16/2016 3:10 PM (#89160 - in reply to #89151)
Subject: Re: Motorcycle sidecar trailer?

Expert

jkhfjfh7 - 5/16/2016 3:37 AM

my opinion is use aluminum trailer because it is good to transport vehicle.
http://www.mountainwesttrailer.com/

INTERESTING TO NOTE... "jkhfjf7" appears to be Sohail Khan of http://www.mountainwesttrailer.com

Sohail, We don't object to dealers and others with vested interests posting here but we do expect those folks to identify themselves as dealers or interested parties. You'll find that sidecar folks are big on being open and honest.

Admin
Al Olme
Posted 5/16/2016 3:25 PM (#89162 - in reply to #73687)

Expert

SideCar - 8/30/2013 12:59 PM

The aluminium route would probably be lighter weight, but I have a plain old wood floored utility trailer that has a tailgate ramp and side ramps for ATV loading. <>

Wood floored trailers definitely work, I had one for years. I like the aluminum trailer because I'm lazy. The maintenance is very near zero and the resale is shockingly good. My old steel trailer with the wood floor needed top be touched up for rust every year and about every three years I needed to do a major repaint and usually a new floor as well. Better quality floor boards made of treated lumber would have extended that... but then so does my new aluminum floor. It appears to extend it by pretty much forever.