How do I get brakes on the rig?
jackl
Posted 11/2/2004 10:19 AM (#5188)
Subject: How do I get brakes on the rig?

I'm new to the sidecar world and have just purchased a Yamaha XS750 (3 cyl) with a Bingham Mk I car. When I had the car wheel off for bearing packing, I observed that it would not be too much of a job to add a disc brake to the rig. Has any one done this? Is there a supplier for the hardware?

I will have the fiberglass body off the frame for painting at the end of the year and that would be a good time to make the brake mod. Surely somoeonw has alreadysolved this problem. Help!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
claude #3563
Posted 11/2/2004 1:19 PM (#5190 - in reply to #5188)
Subject: RE: How do I get brakes on the rig?

Expert

Call Doug Bingham at Sidestrider in Van Nuys, CA.
(818) 780-5542
His website link is: http://www.sidestrider.com/
Hack'n
Posted 11/2/2004 2:42 PM (#5193 - in reply to #5188)

Expert

I've added disc brakes two ways. If the sidecar currently uses an automotive style stub axle with a four or five lug hub, a hub flanged for a disc rotor can be used. Another way is to change axles to use a motorcycle wheel with an attached rotor.
The next step is to acquire a caliper assembly which you deem adequate (I've used GMA products) then fabricate and weld an appropriate mounting bracket on to the swing-arm. A washer or two can be used as shims to align the caliper to the rotor. The caliper can then be linked to the rear (preferably) brake of the bike. With or without a proportioning valve.
claude #3563
Posted 11/2/2004 3:06 PM (#5195 - in reply to #5193)

Expert

Lonnie wrote:...>>(snip)..The next step is to acquire a caliper assembly which you deem adequate (I've used GMA products) then fabricate and weld an appropriate mounting bracket on to the swing-arm. A washer or two can be used as shims to align the caliper to the rotor....<<
Another method to fab this is to hook up the caliper to the brake lines desired...bleed the brake(s)..set the caliper with pads installed onto the disc and apply the brakes. Hold the brake pedal down so the caliper will not move and then tack the mounting bracket into place. The bracket can be made off of a pattern of course.The bracket will be very close to the proper position after final welding but may have moved slightly due to the heat. It can be 'persuaded' back into the right position ,typically, by tapping on it while checking the position of the caliper on the disc. When done no shims will be necessary which makes removal and instalation of the caliper much easier later on.
Care must be taken in doing it this way but either method will work fine.
Claude

Edited by claude #3563 11/2/2004 3:09 PM
JayDauntless
Posted 11/3/2004 9:56 AM (#5217 - in reply to #5188)

Extreme Veteran

We make our own billet hubs that run on a standard 1 inch axle. They are set up with 4 bolt on 100mm pattern with a front wheel drive off set. The back of the hubs is machined to take a citeron 2cv rotor.
We then use a Brembo Calipar.
The way we add brakes to the some other sidecars such as California sidecars is to take the cast steel hub they run. Weld a ring to the back of it. Machine the ring flat. Mount the Citeron 2cv rotor and then machine the brake rotor while it is bolted to the hub in our brake lathe.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com