dyna III ignition
op200
Posted 11/20/2004 8:23 AM (#5388)
Subject: dyna III ignition

Dyna gave me a whole new kit but I don't know if I trust it enough to put it in. I'm running a /2 beemer with an R90 engine conversion and a Jupitor sidecar. I have a car alternator on it and I'm running it without the front cover. Any ideas why this setup would toast the controler (ignition)? I've lost two.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 11/20/2004 6:43 PM (#5391 - in reply to #5388)
Subject: RE: dyna III ignition

Bad ground, vibration, heat, bad run of electronic parts...

Mine is still running strong after 20k miles.

Jim
op200
Posted 11/21/2004 10:38 AM (#5397 - in reply to #5388)
Subject: dyna III ignition

I don't think it's heat or vibration (it's mounted on the frame like they say) and I've got it grounded to the engine like they want. The two failures were pretty much the same, it was running fine before I stopped, then when I tried to start it backfired like crazy (the first time, blew the carb right off) then nothing. The last one had been running for over a year, the only thing I noticed was a tendency to backfire when I closed the throttle
grasslander
Posted 11/21/2004 5:21 PM (#5404 - in reply to #5388)
Subject: RE: dyna III ignition

Veteran

you might want to check your spark plug wires. Make sure you are using the newer resistive wires used on the 77 and later machines. The old style R90 and earlier wires can cause intermitten running with the Dyna ignition. Probably other E inginitions as well.