2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally
DirtyDR
Posted 7/2/2015 10:28 AM (#85180)
Subject: 2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

Veteran

Rally%20Page-XL.jpg">

Online registration is now open  http://www.sidecar.com/rally.asp

OK boys and girls since I have been getting a few requests on and off the board about next year I guess it is time to start the 'official' rally thread.

2016 Rigs In The Rockies Rally will be in Hotchkiss, CO at the Delta County Fairgrounds starting Thursday, July 7th and ending Sunday, July 10th.
http://www.deltacounty.com/255/Fairgrounds

One thing I would like to let everyone know is that Hotchkiss is a small very rural town and they do things in a very slow paced way. This is not your typical Colorado mountain tourist town they are predominantly farmers and ranchers so go easy on them please.

I will add updates and information to this thread so let's try to keep it here to make things less confusing please.

I have attached two files, the .pdf is just the information guide for the fairgrounds for those who are bored and need something to read, it is actually a nice guide but there are some general restrictions that will not apply to us since we are special. Any questions please ask.

There is a .kmz file that is a Google Earth link that should show a little map I made up of the fairgrounds.

I and some of the rest of the rally crew will be there on Wednesday so please check in with us when you get there so we can keep this as organized as possible, I do not anticipate any issues with space since we have pretty much the whole fairgrounds but we do need to keep some method to the madness.

There are a few RV sites next to the park that have 30 amp power hookups and a water faucet for potable water but no sewage. These are first come first served and the fairgrounds wants $6.00 a night for these the last time I checked. There is a money box by the bathrooms in Heritage Hall where you put the money. These are not very big sites so they are best suited for class C and truck campers. If you have a bike trailer we have an area for you to leave it since it will not fit well in these spaces. I will try to save a couple of these spots for those who may need the power for medical reasons also.

The area that is marked as parking is an open parking lot that will hold quite a few RVs and this is open to any who want to dry camp their rigs for free during the rally. No electric and no water. I will save a couple of spots next to the building for people with CPAP machines and such so we can run a cord out for you but this will be a 15 amp circuit at best so please if you need this please use accordingly.

There is a nice commercial RV park in Hotchkiss a mile from the fairgrounds that is well suited for those with big RVs that would like full service amenities. I took a ride through during our local rally just to check it out and it looks like a very nice place. They do not have a website but here is their information; http://rvthereyetdirectory.com/rv-park/mountain-valley-meadows/

Now for tent camping. Tent camping will be allowed in the park itself after 5:00 pm on Thursday. This is the town park and the only other group that has been allowed to do this is our local BMW club for our annual rally so this is somewhat of an honor. The grass is one of the nicest places you have ever pitched a tent and the groundskeeper, Les, is very protective of it. Also keep in mind this is the town park and it is still open to the public so there will probably be children stopping by to utilize the playground equipment and I am sure the townsfolk will be wandering through to look at the foreigners and their funny machines so please do not camp too close to the playground equipment. This is their park and we are just honored guests. There is a single rail fence around the park and there are also no pets allowed inside the fenced in park. I have another area marked as regular tent camping and this is the normal tenting area. This is right next to the park and it is also grass and trees and I will have this partitioned off so those of you who will be camping with their four legged friends are welcome to camp here. This tent area is open any time of the year for camping so if you are early feel free to camp here, we just can not get on the grass in the park until after 5:00 pm on Thursday.

A couple of notes:
As stated above there are to be no pets inside the fenced in park itself, anywhere else on the fairgrounds they are more than welcome. There may be other users in other parts of the fairgrounds including the arena and there is a very high likelihood of horses and even cattle or other live stock so be courteous with your pets, it is their house we are just visiting.
There is a no alcohol policy in the park and a large part of town is very religious so discretion is the key here. I have developed a fairly good rapport with the town police and they have a very generous policy of indifference as long as they get no complaints from certain townsfolk. This does not mean they will be watching us and in all of the years we have had our BMW rally there, we have never had an issue. The one thing I ask is clean up at night and put your trash in the 55 gallon trash cans we will place around the park and we will come by every morning and dispose of said refuse, out of sight out of mind.
Speaking of the town Marshall and his minions there will likely be what will appear as a fairly prominent police presence but this is usual and merely that they are bored and this gives them something different to do. By all means acknowledge them and speak to them as much as you like, they are surprisingly friendly and Les has already informed me that he will make it a point to let them know we are coming so they will be planning on checking out the rigs.

I have breakfast Saturday morning locked in, the local school booster club will be coming by and preparing a very nice breakfast for us. They do fresh eggs, some of the best local country ham and sausage and pancakes on a portable grill trailer they have. They will have a donation jar out so pay what you think it is worth as it goes to support the local school and sports programs. They will cook us all we want to eat so no one should leave the breakfast table hungry.

Saturday night dinner will be catered BBQ fresh cooked on site, two meats, salad, beans and taters and a dessert is also included. Tea, lemonade and coffee will of course be provided all weekend free of charge in Heritage Hall.

Here is a list of the closest hotel/motel offerings;

Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss Inn is located just a few blocks from the fairgrounds in Hotchkiss.
http://hotchkissinnmotel.com/

North Fork Motel is located pretty much across the street from the fairgrounds
http://www.coloradodirectory.com/northforkmotel/

Redwood Arms Motel is a nice place that is about 7 miles from Hotchkiss with plenty of parking for trailers and they also have a small RV park in the back.
http://www.redwoodarmsmotel.com/

Paonia

Rocky Mountain Inn in Paonia.
http://rockymountaininn.net/

The Bross Hotel is a really nice B&B if you want something a little nicer.
http://www.paonia-inn.com/

The Fresh and Wyld Farmhouse Inn is another unique place that is a little higher end.
http://www.freshandwyld.com/

The Living Farm Inn is something a little different but very nice from what I have been told.
http://thelivingfarmcafe.com/

Crawford

The hitching Post Hotel and feed store is another unique property that is located in Crawford.
http://www.hitchingposthotel.com/

More later.

The fairgrounds;
:)

Edited by DirtyDR 5/23/2016 12:12 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DCFG Information.pdf (705KB - 20 downloads)
Attachments 2016 National Rally Site.kmz (1KB - 32 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
spat
Posted 7/6/2015 3:29 PM (#85227 - in reply to #85180)
Subject: RE: 2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

Looking forward to 2016 rigs in the Rockies.
Cookie and I finally got to a National SC rally this year. The BlackHills is one of our favorite areas, enjoyed seeing all the different rigs and meeting the folks that ride them.
This next one is in our back yard so see ya there, I know this one will be a great one as well, plenty to see and plenty to do.
HHShort
Posted 7/10/2015 1:33 PM (#85314 - in reply to #85180)
Subject: Re: 2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

Veteran

ATTA BOY Dana. We all need to start thinking about next year.
dholaday
Posted 7/12/2015 4:21 PM (#85351 - in reply to #85180)

Regular

For any others that don't enjoy sleeping on the ground, it looks like there is very limited motel section in Hotchkiss.

You may want to reserve early. I did - staying at the Hotchkiss Inn.

Here's a link to the Chamber of Commerce website: http://www.hotchkisschamber.com/page.cfm?pageid=21839

Dana - Thanks for putting this together

Duncan

Edited by dholaday 7/12/2015 4:22 PM
spat
Posted 7/12/2015 6:24 PM (#85354 - in reply to #85180)

Motel???
This is the softest ground and grass in all of Colorado. 'The man' normally does not let tents set up on his fairground's park area. Due to Dana's charisma, way of the word and many talents and he has secured and been granted this special request to indulge on this luxurious surface.
DirtyDR
Posted 7/12/2015 6:39 PM (#85356 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Hey Duncan. There are only two motels listed in Hotchkiss but there are a couple just out of town and four more in Paonia about 10 miles down the road. There is one in Crawford which is about 10 miles up a different road from Hotchkiss. I am on call for another week so I need to hang around home but as soon as I am off I had planned on taking a ride over there and doing a little recon work to make a list for you all. Also if you want a major chain hotel you are going to have to go 20 miles West to Delta.
Here is a listing from the county by city of lodging. Paonia and Crawford are the two closest and about the same distance. http://www.deltacountycolorado.com/lodging/

Edited by DirtyDR 7/14/2015 10:36 AM
jwshort
Posted 8/8/2015 2:52 PM (#85718 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Hi Dana:
Wow!! You have been busy. Thanks for what you have done so far. We can appreciate the work you are doing for next year.

I can't seem to find your maining address. I have a couple of packets to tri-fold brochures to send you. These don't require special shipping - just a big envelope.
Soo please send your home address or whatever address works for you.

jwshort
Posted 8/8/2015 3:00 PM (#85720 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Just as I clicked submit I spotted a mispelled word. That's Mailing Address not maining address.
DirtyDR
Posted 8/9/2015 4:42 PM (#85727 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Thanks Will.
DirtyDR
Posted 8/10/2015 10:29 AM (#85747 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Working on getting the artwork done so with a little luck we should have an official flyer complete with artwork ready before too long.

Actually Cookie is having a friend of hers looking at it but hey what good is a host if he can't delegate.
DirtyDR
Posted 11/9/2015 10:29 AM (#86782 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Just a note to let everyone know I am still alive and we are just finalizing a few details for next years rally. Everything is on track and looking good and we are thinking of opening up registration around the beginning of February. Need to clean up a couple of details before we get a price set but I am sure everyone will be pleased with the final price.

I guess you can not please everyone but most everyone should be happy.
Reardan Tom
Posted 11/14/2015 3:51 PM (#86829 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Just booked my room. Planning on riding the Dyna and packing light. Or much lighter than when I tow the trailer with the FLH at any rate... See ya all in July.
jwshort
Posted 11/14/2015 6:04 PM (#86830 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

I booked two rooms last night at the North Fork. The Short Brothers and wives are planning to be there. We are looking forward to 3+ days in July renewing old friendships.

DirtyDR
Posted 11/16/2015 10:26 AM (#86834 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and hopefully providing all with a good time.
wadeinater
Posted 11/16/2015 1:18 PM (#86838 - in reply to #85180)

New User

Dana,

Looks like a great venue. Just called Mountain Valley Meadows RV Park and made arrangements for and rv site.

Ernie and Sandy
2004 Patrol
DirtyDR
Posted 11/16/2015 1:55 PM (#86839 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Sounds great Ernie, be nice to see you guys again and should be a good time.
xrocket
Posted 1/8/2016 9:02 AM (#87448 - in reply to #85180)

A bump for the National Sidecar rally ....

Reservations made @ Hotchkiss Inn and looking forward to meeting fellow sidecarist in July.
rogersfr
Posted 1/13/2016 11:04 AM (#87478 - in reply to #85180)

If we are interested in camping in the 'tent area', do we need to make any reservation? If so, how and where do we do this? If this has already been asked and answered, I'm sorry.
DirtyDR
Posted 1/13/2016 11:08 AM (#87479 - in reply to #87478)

Veteran

All camping at the fairgrounds is included in the rally fee and there are no reservations needed. This includes dry RV camping and tent camping.

Showers and such at the fairgrounds are also included.
Bobmws
Posted 1/21/2016 5:03 PM (#87582 - in reply to #85180)

FWIW, the Mountain Valley Meadows RV park does have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CORVPARK/
I have to re-up my membership and get registered!
DirtyDR
Posted 1/21/2016 5:09 PM (#87583 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Thanks a lot for this Bob.
rogersfr
Posted 2/1/2016 4:31 PM (#87735 - in reply to #85180)

Is there a registration form available for the rally itself or will it be in the next magazine?
DirtyDR
Posted 2/1/2016 4:49 PM (#87736 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I have sent the form in and it will be in the next magazine or so I have been told. I am ready any time the powers that be want to open registration up but I am not sure if they just want me to post up a form and say it is open or if there is some protocol involved that I am not aware of.
DirtyDR
Posted 2/1/2016 4:54 PM (#87737 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

This is what the rally t shirts are going to look like, long or short sleeve. They will be Navy blue with white lettering.

Edited by DirtyDR 2/1/2016 4:55 PM
Khjphoto
Posted 2/5/2016 7:24 PM (#87793 - in reply to #85180)

Hello group. Looking forward to seeing you guys at the Rally. Have enjoyed many of the postings by several of you, here and at ADVRIDER.

I can endorse the Bross Hotel as being a great place to stay with a wonderful breakfast!
DirtyDR
Posted 2/7/2016 10:37 AM (#87816 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Hey Karl, it will be nice to see you at the rally.

Nice first post too.
DirtyDR
Posted 2/7/2016 10:52 AM (#87817 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Another thing while I am thinking about it is the Hotchkiss police. Hotchkiss is a small town and you will notice a very obvious police presence at the rally, do not get paranoid they are just bored. As a matter of fact stop them and say hello they really are friendly.

The first year we had our BMW club rally at the fairgrounds they were through about every half hour so I stopped one and talked to him the next morning. Just happens that this was also homecoming and the local kids like to hang out at the bottom of the fairgrounds and do whatever high school kids do so the police were keeping an eye out for the kids and did not care about us.

There is a no alcohol policy in the park but they have a very strict no harm no foul policy. In other words they don't care. There will be trash barrels along the fence so we just ask that you dump all incriminating evidence in the trash cans at night before turning in and we will empty all of the trash cans every morning.
DirtyDR
Posted 2/7/2016 10:57 AM (#87818 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Another thing while I am thinking about it is the Hotchkiss police. Hotchkiss is a small town and you will notice a very obvious police presence at the rally, do not get paranoid they are just bored. As a matter of fact stop them and say hello they really are friendly.

The first year we had our BMW club rally at the fairgrounds they were through about every half hour so I stopped one and talked to him the next morning. Just happens that this was also homecoming and the local kids like to hang out at the bottom of the fairgrounds and do whatever high school kids do so the police were keeping an eye out for the kids and did not care about us.

There is a no alcohol policy in the park but they have a very strict no harm no foul policy. In other words they don't care. There will be trash barrels along the fence so we just ask that you dump all incriminating evidence in the trash cans at night before turning in and we will empty all of the trash cans every morning.
CCjon
Posted 2/7/2016 8:39 PM (#87820 - in reply to #87818)

Extreme Veteran

Dana, don't forget, we have two special presentations planned for the rally.

The author/creator of "Sit, Stay, Ride" will be there to talk about side caring with dogs and their up coming Volume II of "Sit, Stay. Ride".

A special presentation for the Ural riders, GOBIUM of SovietSteeds fame will talk about all things Ural. Meet and talk with the man who has invented numerous tools to make working on the Ural easier.

CCjon
DirtyDR
Posted 2/7/2016 8:55 PM (#87821 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I won't.
Khjphoto
Posted 2/12/2016 7:01 AM (#87881 - in reply to #85180)

For those that may be interested, Horizons Unlimited is holding their rally JULY 15-17, 2016 at
Terry A. Gross Park, Geneva Creek, just off Highway 285, at the foot of Guanella and Kenosha Passes, Pike National Forest, Grant CO

I have attended a couple of these, great rides, wonderful camaraderie, and outstanding food!

DanKearney
Posted 2/14/2016 11:20 AM (#87902 - in reply to #85180)

Hey Dana,

I'm going to try to ride out on Wednesday if you need any help setting up.

Cheers,

Dan K.
DirtyDR
Posted 2/14/2016 12:05 PM (#87903 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Thanks Dan, I will be there Wednesday also but we do not have the building until Thursday and no tents in the park until Thursday afternoon. Have to put tents in the regular camping area for Wednesday night and move them over to the park on Thursday.

Shouldn't be a lot to do on Wednesday but we can start getting the trash cans out and maybe setting up the barriers so we can fence off that parking area to the East of the park so we can keep it just for sidecar parking.
DirtyDR
Posted 2/21/2016 10:25 AM (#87956 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Sidecar%20Bears.jpg">
Khjphoto
Posted 2/21/2016 10:48 AM (#87957 - in reply to #85180)

Dana

Will there be a registration form on line?
DirtyDR
Posted 2/21/2016 11:10 AM (#87958 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Short answer is Yes but I am not sure when.

The registration stuff is all ready to go on my end and I think they are waiting to post it online until March when the form will also be published in the magazine. They need to deal with the PayPal and such at the organization level so that is up to the organization whenever they are ready. The web guy also needs to get everything setup on the home page so I am guessing that will all be done by the end of the month.

tinboatcapt
Posted 3/12/2016 9:06 PM (#88209 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

So, spring last year I bought a rig and drove it cross country home. After that and routine inspections, and a few surprises I think it is ready. I hope to ride it to the National rally in Hotchkiss. However, my confidence in its mechanical integrity is shaken.

Is there anyone traveling from the MN/WI area that would like to travel together, or make routine contact for the trip to Hotchkiss? My original plan was to ride the interstate (I-80) through Colorado Springs. perhaps taking more than one day to make the trip. But I am open to suggestions.

Jim
Al Olme
Posted 3/12/2016 10:03 PM (#88211 - in reply to #88209)

Expert

Jim,

We are towing our rig to the rally so we probably wouldn't be traveling at the same pace but we are traveling about the same route and if you get in trouble we would probably be the closest help. Give me a call and we'll see what we can work out. 612-759-4666.
Khjphoto
Posted 3/13/2016 9:22 AM (#88216 - in reply to #85180)

After the rally anyone interested in doing some of the passes? I have a friend with a new Can Am Spyder that will not be able to some of the more challenging.
Any suggestions?
Khjphoto
Posted 3/13/2016 9:32 AM (#88217 - in reply to #88209)

Is there anyone traveling from the MN/WI area that would like to travel together, or make routine contact for the trip to Hotchkiss? My original plan was to ride the interstate (I-80) through Colorado Springs. perhaps taking more than one day to make the trip. But I am open to suggestions.

Jim

Slabing out of Lancaster, PA on the 5th. Direct to Hwy70. Drop on down, meet for coffee, and then more "bugs in the teeth"!

Safe journey
See you down the road
tinboatcapt
Posted 3/13/2016 3:13 PM (#88227 - in reply to #88217)

Veteran

Khjphoto - 3/13/2016 8:32 AM

Jim

Slabing out of Lancaster, PA on the 5th. Direct to Hwy70. Drop on down, meet for coffee, and then more "bugs in the teeth"!

Safe journey
See you down the road

Wow! Yeah! I'll PM my contact information and we'll work something out. I can drop down I-35 to KC. (Extra miles ... OH NO (Grin)). I usually ride down through Sioux City, IA and cut out a couple of miles, but to link up I'd be willing to meet up near KC.

I have had some issues with the bike that seem to be sorted out, but has left a less than confident feeling. It is especially troubling to the beloved bride. She is concerned about my riding this trip alone. If I were riding my ST1100 she wouldn't give it a second thought.

jim
DirtyDR
Posted 3/13/2016 4:27 PM (#88230 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Just a note to everyone, the online registration and PayPal link are not up yet and if they are not up by the end of the week I will go ahead and put a printable registration form in the opening post and I will post it on Soviet Steeds and ADV Rider also.

Check the first post occasionally as I am doing updates in it as things change.
dholaday
Posted 3/14/2016 3:25 PM (#88243 - in reply to #85180)

Regular

Jim: re your trip: There are at least a couple of folks in MN besides Al who most likely will be coming to the Rally: DAVEBIG in Rochester and Steve & Melva Dahl in Mankato. I looked for you on advrider and couldn't find any posts from you about your rig. I'm curious about what you have and what problems you encountered. See you at the rally. Duncan
tinboatcapt
Posted 3/15/2016 12:35 PM (#88249 - in reply to #88243)

Veteran

dholaday - 3/14/2016 2:25 PM

Jim: re your trip: There are at least a couple of folks in MN besides Al who most likely will be coming to the Rally: DAVEBIG in Rochester and Steve & Melva Dahl in Mankato. I looked for you on advrider and couldn't find any posts from you about your rig. I'm curious about what you have and what problems you encountered. See you at the rally. Duncan

Thanks for the heads up on other riders. Half of the interest in riding with, or defining my route is to placate y wife who isn't confident in the rig. If I were on my ST1100 she wouldn't care. The Old Wing is another story.

I have had a dozen different problems, mostly small. Two big ones were/are the starter motor left me stranded one time, there is an oil leak that I think may be a transmission rear seal.

The rig is an '86 Oldwing GL1200 with a California sidecar.
The car/bike link seems to be sorted as it tracks pretty nicely even if it turns heavily. There are no steering mods.

In the far distant past I did visit ADVRider, but haven't been there in ages. My off road experiences have been largely accidental.

Jim

(Near Globe (800x600).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Near Globe (800x600).jpg (262KB - 0 downloads)
Khjphoto
Posted 3/16/2016 2:27 PM (#88269 - in reply to #85180)

Hey Jim, did you receive my last PM? I would doubt that it sent since it shows in my "outbox". And I can't figure out how to send!
Anyway, had an update

Edited by Khjphoto 3/16/2016 2:28 PM
Al Olme
Posted 3/16/2016 3:41 PM (#88270 - in reply to #88269)

Expert

The PMs you send stay in your outbox unless you delete them, despite that fact that they were indeed sent. I suggest that you mentally relabel the "Outbox" as "Sent Mail". And in case you're thinking it... no. we can't change that label. it's baked into the code.
tinboatcapt
Posted 3/16/2016 9:55 PM (#88272 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I have it. And, I have pm'ed a reply.
Thanks.
Jim
DirtyDR
Posted 3/19/2016 5:01 PM (#88319 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

A quick rally tip:

Hotchkiss is only 5,500' in altitude but the average night temperatures are in the 50's F in July and can drop in to the 40's so don't forgot to bring something warm to wear. The higher passes will always be cool so dress accordingly when traveling around.

It can also snow any time of the year so we will have updated weather and road reports at the rally HQ.
stevewoo
Posted 3/22/2016 10:52 PM (#88391 - in reply to #87957)

Elite Veteran

Rally registration is open. http://sidecar.com/rally.asp.
dave
Posted 3/23/2016 8:53 AM (#88393 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

Go to home page and click on link to the rally in red. works there.
DirtyDR
Posted 3/23/2016 10:02 AM (#88395 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Online registration is open.

There is a link on the first post in this thread also here http://www.sidecar.com/rally.asp

Edited by DirtyDR 3/23/2016 10:04 AM
Reardan Tom
Posted 3/23/2016 12:23 PM (#88403 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

I've printed the registration form, filled it in and will pay by check. Only thing is, I see the option to mail the form in but I'm not seeing the mailing address to send it to.... Also do I make the check out to USCA or just who?
DirtyDR
Posted 3/23/2016 2:09 PM (#88406 - in reply to #88403)

Veteran

Bottom right of the registration form says
"Make your checks out
to: "Rockies Rally"
and send to:
Dana Williams
P.O. Box 1285
Avon, CO 81620"
Reardan Tom
Posted 3/23/2016 2:31 PM (#88409 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

That wasn't on the one I printed from the web site for some reason. But... I just received the latest issue of the Sidecarist and I see it's on the form there. I just came back on the forum to say so and to disregard my previous post. It's all good. See ya in July!
DirtyDR
Posted 3/23/2016 2:37 PM (#88410 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Interesting, I hit both links that said print registration form and they had the information. At least it is on the thread now.

July will be here before you know it.
Reardan Tom
Posted 3/23/2016 2:51 PM (#88412 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

You'll see what printed in a couple days. I just put a stamp on the envelope to go out on my next trip into the post office...
CCjon
Posted 3/24/2016 11:34 AM (#88427 - in reply to #88412)

Extreme Veteran

Signed up online using PayPal. Easy-Peasy. Looking forward to a great rally in the mountains of Colorado.
dholaday
Posted 3/25/2016 2:47 PM (#88434 - in reply to #88249)

Regular

Jim: That's a nice looking rig. Glad you got it sorted out. 

You should give advrider another look. While oriented towards adv bikes, it is by no means an off-road site. [My guess is that 95% of adv bike riders spend 95% of their time on the pavement or well-groomed gravel/dirt.]

And the "Hacks" subforum is full of lots of information from lots of people with lots of opinions.

See you in July,

Duncan

tinboatcapt
Posted 3/25/2016 4:21 PM (#88436 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

The check is in the mail. So, baring a day before mechanical failure, like last year, I'll see y'all there. I'll be packing a tent.

I had difficulty getting my 'confuser' to access the links. Don't panic. I have lots of problems with my 'confuser'. Many of them are not hardware or software related. I think the term is 'operator error'.
I waited for the SIDECARIST to arrive to post my entry.

I enjoyed this issue with its feature article Riding with Friends, at Furrry Foray. Thanks.
Jim
Muzzleflash
Posted 3/28/2016 12:00 PM (#88466 - in reply to #85180)

Registered online, very easy. See y'all in July.
DirtyDR
Posted 4/2/2016 4:58 PM (#88547 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Just a quick note on the online registrations, The T shirt ordering did not make it to the registration form so it has been added to the comments section and just add the T shirt price to the total when you close it out please.

For those few who have preregistered on line let me know if you want a shirt and I'll make sure I have extras at the rally and you can just get it or them there.

If you are using the printed form and mailing it in all is and was good there.

Thanks
Dana

Edited by DirtyDR 4/2/2016 4:58 PM
rogersfr
Posted 4/4/2016 8:19 AM (#88573 - in reply to #88547)

Dana, Frank & I registered online but would like long-sleeve T-shirts: Men's S and Men's XL Thanks. Kaye Rogers
DirtyDR
Posted 4/4/2016 10:29 AM (#88575 - in reply to #88573)

Veteran

rogersfr - 4/4/2016 6:19 AM

Dana, Frank & I registered online but would like long-sleeve T-shirts: Men's S and Men's XL Thanks. Kaye Rogers

No problem, I will make sure they are there for you.
jwshort
Posted 4/4/2016 5:10 PM (#88578 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Hi DAna:
My wife would like a short sleeve large t-shirt. Do you need to have the money before we arrive and check in at the rally?

Will
DirtyDR
Posted 4/5/2016 3:51 PM (#88588 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Don't worry about it Will, I will have at the rally and we can deal with it there.
Sideshow
Posted 4/13/2016 8:10 PM (#88673 - in reply to #85180)

Is it $39.00 per rig or person.
CCjon
Posted 4/15/2016 5:59 PM (#88713 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

Sideshow, Dana must be out riding, it's per person
DirtyDR
Posted 4/16/2016 9:47 AM (#88724 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Thanks, yep out and about.

Prices are per person.

Another week and it will be my annual getaway week in Moab on the Ural to do some serious dirt riding.
Bob Herman
Posted 4/28/2016 2:58 PM (#88871 - in reply to #88724)

Hello Dana,
I am planning to attend the Hotchkiss rally, will be tent camping with my dog.
I know that dogs aren't allowed in the fenced in park area, but what about where meals will be served, presentations etc.?
Any other caveats concerning the dog that I should know about? I won't be able to leave the dog in the tent, so my own movements will be dictated by the details.
DirtyDR
Posted 4/28/2016 3:34 PM (#88873 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Only place they are protective of is in the park. Inside Heritage Hall and every other place pets are more than welcome.

Edited by DirtyDR 5/2/2016 5:20 PM
Bob Herman
Posted 4/28/2016 6:34 PM (#88875 - in reply to #88873)

Okay, thanks.
Reardan Tom
Posted 4/28/2016 8:51 PM (#88881 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Bob, you won't be alone, there will be plenty of other dog people there with the same concerns. Petey and I included.
CCjon
Posted 4/28/2016 10:00 PM (#88882 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

For all rig owners who love to travel with their pets, Eric Ristau, the author of "Sit, Stay, Ride" has agreed to give a presentation at this year's national rally. His newest book is in the works and might be available in time for the rally.

Mark the dates and get your reservation in now for the rally.

Bob Herman
Posted 4/28/2016 10:07 PM (#88883 - in reply to #88882)

Yeah, I saw that. My dog/hack adventure is just beginning and I'm anxious to learn how others deal with logistics on the road.
Such as: how do you keep the dog safe, secure, comfortable and calm when you have to leave him in the tub for shopping and such? I plan to do multi-day camping/touring trips with my dog starting this summer.
Well, we started in February in the Arizona desert...

(Dips lo rez P2290097.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dips lo rez P2290097.JPG (3574KB - 0 downloads)
DirtyDR
Posted 5/2/2016 5:28 PM (#88943 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Sorry all but I was out in Moab all last week playing on the trails with the Ural.

All is good anywhere on the fairgrounds except in the park. When I say fence around the park I use the term very loosely as it is really just a rail and they do not allow camping in the park either but they have given me special permission for this event otherwise we would all be camping in the regular campground. The regular campground is no different than and just an extension of the park without the playground equipment.

One of the breakfast places in town is a nice coffee shop with a lot of outdoor seating so I am going to run by when I am over there this weekend and verify that pets are welcome in the outdoor seating area there also.

Edited by DirtyDR 5/2/2016 5:28 PM
Ken Quast
Posted 5/3/2016 9:26 PM (#88963 - in reply to #85180)

New User

Hi everyone, Ken Quast here a new member of the USCA. I will be going to the rally this summer a first for me. My dog Dude will also be coming along. I am not sure if I am riding or trailering the rig at this point. It will be my first major road trip if I ride. I bought the rig 1.5 years ago. A 1989 Harley Ultra Classic Tour Glide with a friendship 1 sidecar. I have gone through the bike at this point in time and it is running good. I basically rebuilt it. I am presently updating the brake lights and turn signals with LED's. I will add headlights on the side car also before the trip. I have also done some upgrades to the sidecar to make it safer for my dog "Dude" he loves to ride !!!! I am in the Chicago west suburb's, if any one is traveling through this area on the way to the rally it would be great to caravan. I also have a fairly well equipped shop if any help is needed on any one's rig. You can go to my website www.kenquastmodelmakers.com all my contact info is there just in case here's my e-mail: kenquast@kenquastmodelmakers.com

CCjon
Posted 5/9/2016 5:57 PM (#89049 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

With the Rally only two months away, better be plotting my scenic route there and back. Anyone else in the Houston area going?

DirtyDR
Posted 5/11/2016 2:05 PM (#89092 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Just a quick note and rally tip;
We have been still receiving quite a bit of snow in the mountains so the high passes will have a good bit of snow on them when rally time rolls around so be careful riding and remember to bring some warm riding gear. Just because it is July it will still be quite chilly on the mountains. Here is a picture looking East toward McClure pass from about 20 miles East of Hotchkiss on Sunday.\

DirtyDR
Posted 5/11/2016 2:31 PM (#89093 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

A few tips for those planning your routes to the rally.
If you are coming from the East the best route from Denver is I70 to Glenwood Springs. From Glenwood Springs head East on CO 82 towards Aspen and when you get to Carbondale, about 13 miles from I70, you will head West on CO 133 about 70 miles to Hotchkiss. Once you leave Carbondale this is a narrow 2 lane highway and McClure Pass has some steep grades and tight turns so it is not recommended for large class A type motorhomes. For those Interstate highway haters like myself I 70 from Denver to Grand Junction is a very nice drive that should be experienced if you have never done it. For those with bigger rigs, RVs not sidecars, I would recommend continuing on I70 to Clifton and take the Business Route 70/ US 50 exit at Clifton. From here head South and follow the signs for US 50 to Delta. At Delta turn East on CO 92 and it is 20 miles to Hotchkiss.

If you are coming in from the West your best bet is catch US Route 50 at Grand Junction and go South to Delta where you will turn West on CO 92 and it will be 20 miles to Hotchkiss from there. When you hit the West side of Grand Junction there is an exit for Business Route 70/ US 50 but The West exit will take you through downtown Grand Junction and is a lot longer time wise and only a few miles shorter distance wise.

If you are coming in from the North or South let me know where you are coming from and I can help with routing if you need it.

As with all mountain roads in Colorado be very cautious of rocks on the road, especially when in canyons or when you have a steep bank beside you. Frost heaves in the road are another common occurrence that will not be kind to your rig.

Edited by DirtyDR 5/11/2016 2:34 PM
Khjphoto
Posted 5/11/2016 3:43 PM (#89094 - in reply to #85180)

For those coming from the East I would also commend Phantom Canyon. Nice little ride and not out of your way much. I recon I'll RON at Cripple Creek do Phantom Canyoun AM and blast up to Paonia for the night. Hope everyone has a safe and fun ride. See y on Saturday

PS: Dana, hope you have a map to the wineries, or plan on a tour.

PPS: Nice thiing about three wheels have some wine....you won't fall over!

Edited by Khjphoto 5/11/2016 3:46 PM
DirtyDR
Posted 5/11/2016 4:06 PM (#89095 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Be aware that the Phantom Canyon Road is a one or two lane dirt road that was built on an 1800s railroad grade and is a good 300 mile detour from Denver to Hotchkiss. One of my favorites but I do not get down that way too often any more. http://www.colorado.com/articles/colorado-hidden-gem-phantom-canyon...

We will not be doing an official Winery tour since drinking and hacking are not a wise idea up here in the mountains, if anywhere. Disclaimer aside there are several wineries in and around Hotchkiss and plenty more within an easy ride. There will be a map of the wineries on the map wall at Heritage Hall.
Khjphoto
Posted 5/11/2016 4:16 PM (#89096 - in reply to #85180)

I have done Phantom before - great putt. And looking forward to Cripple Creek for a fine steak.
Heck, I'd leave today and wind my way around all the tornados...then dig out the snow at Monarch.
Guess I better wait. Maybe it will be better in a couple of months

Oh by the way, first time I did Phanton it was in my Sprinter based RV!

Edited by Khjphoto 5/11/2016 4:19 PM
DirtyDR
Posted 5/11/2016 4:22 PM (#89097 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Yep, Phantom Canyon Road is nice as is the whole Gold Belt Tour. I much prefer Victor to Cripple Creek especially since they got gambling in Cripple Creek.
Khjphoto
Posted 5/11/2016 5:02 PM (#89098 - in reply to #85180)

So in Victor, any recommendations for motels and fine eats?
Bob Herman
Posted 5/11/2016 5:18 PM (#89099 - in reply to #89098)

Last I knew there was a great restored victorian era hotel in Victor, and it was not expensive. Maybe Dana knows if it's still open. Victor Hotel, I think it's called.

Also, an alternative to Phantom Canyon Road for adventurous people not afraid of narrow, winding roads and heights is Shelf Road, from Canon City up to Cripple Creek.
DirtyDR
Posted 5/11/2016 5:32 PM (#89100 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Yep, Victor Hotel is a nice place and I think you can still stay in the old brothel above the Fortune Club.
Khjphoto
Posted 5/11/2016 6:56 PM (#89102 - in reply to #89100)

Hmmmm, "old brothel". Now there is a different ride! Do they have newer stock?
Sorry couldn't help it.

Thanks for the info.

YIKES. Dana, you didn't say it was haunted! Made resos, should I book a room for a priest too?

Edited by Khjphoto 5/11/2016 7:35 PM
Tax Man
Posted 5/12/2016 9:37 AM (#89104 - in reply to #89102)

Extreme Veteran

Bob Herman, I remember driving the Canon City to Cripple Creek road through small tunnels and crossing bridges made out of logs back in the early '70s driving a Chevelle Malibu loaded with four kids in the back seat and a trunk full of camping gear. The underside of the car rolled over the rocks as if they were oversized ball bearings. Has that road been paved?
DirtyDR
Posted 5/12/2016 5:10 PM (#89118 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Don, not Bob but that sounds like Phantom Canyon Road with the old railroad trestles and tunnels instead of the Shelf Road.

Dana
DirtyDR
Posted 5/16/2016 11:34 AM (#89156 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I took a little ride over to Crawford for lunch yesterday and grabbed a few pictures to whet your appetites.

This is just up the road from my house in Hotchkiss.

Community center in Crawford.

View from Crawford Reservoir.

DirtyDR
Posted 5/16/2016 11:39 AM (#89157 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

There is a local hangout in Crawford that will be doing a charity rally the same weekend we will be there and the owner, Jamie, wanted me to make sure everyone at the sidecar rally knew they were welcome to come by also. They will have a good local Blues Band playing on Friday night if anyone is interested in that also.

DirtyDR
Posted 5/18/2016 3:21 PM (#89174 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

There is a nice little coffee shop on the West side of town for those who like a premium cup o Joe, http://www.coaltraincoffee.com/
They also have pretty good breakfast burritos, quiches and baked goods. I have spoken with the owner and she would be happy to see us stop by and they have a really nice dog friendly patio to consume your food and beverages on with your 4 legged companion.

DirtyDR
Posted 5/23/2016 9:45 AM (#89233 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

A few pictures of McClure Pass from last Friday heading over to Hotchkiss.

Tax Man
Posted 5/23/2016 10:25 AM (#89234 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the pictures. I'm really looking forward to being in Hotchkiss in July.
Bob Herman
Posted 5/23/2016 10:46 AM (#89235 - in reply to #89234)

And overlooking Paonia, Friday afternoon:

(Above Paonia P5200427.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Above Paonia P5200427.JPG (3842KB - 1 downloads)
DirtyDR
Posted 5/23/2016 12:32 PM (#89240 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

You going to be around next weekend Bob? I will be in and out this coming weekend, Memorial Day, but I will be in Hotchkiss all weekend the following. Actually I will be in Palisade Saturday for the Western Colorado Vintage motorcycle show. Think I will throw the K100/EML in it.

Bob Herman
Posted 5/23/2016 1:39 PM (#89242 - in reply to #89240)

Dana, I may be heading up to Golden later this week. But I'll be at the Palisade show myself. I don't think I'll be putting a vintage bike in the show, but probably will show up with the Tiger rig.
DirtyDR
Posted 5/23/2016 1:46 PM (#89243 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Sounds good. Since the K100/EML is 31 years old this year I figured I may as well put it in the show. See you at the show.
DirtyDR
Posted 5/31/2016 10:33 AM (#89309 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Preregistration is closing today if anyone cares. I need to get the t shirt order in to Duke pretty quick here so if anybody has not sent me a registration and wants a shirt let me know now. I will order a few extra but I will not guaranty you will get a shirt if you do not let me know before I turn the order in. Rally price also goes up $5.00 at the rally so as long as you send in the registration before the rally the discounted price still holds.

coloradorigs@outlook.com

Edited by DirtyDR 5/31/2016 10:35 AM
Reardan Tom
Posted 6/2/2016 11:00 AM (#89340 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Anyone have suggestions for a good two day route from the Spokane area to the rally that does not include the ride through SLC? Just wonderin'. I don't have my route figured out yet, open to suggestions.
Tax Man
Posted 6/2/2016 11:14 AM (#89341 - in reply to #89340)

Extreme Veteran

If you haven't ridden US 12 across Idaho you should include it in your itinerary.
Reardan Tom
Posted 6/2/2016 6:47 PM (#89353 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Don, done it several times but not any time recently.
jwshort
Posted 6/3/2016 1:48 PM (#89365 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Dana:
I see that you have 3 BMW's and a fake BMW. Are you a member of the BMWMOA? They are leaning on us again to find out if we qualify as charter club.

If you are an MOA member what is your membership no.?
DirtyDR
Posted 6/3/2016 3:36 PM (#89368 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

The old 650 flat head Urals were fake Beemers, I suppose, but the OHV 750s are all Ural. For the record Harley and Indian made flat opposed twins before BMW was even in existence, along with a couple of others.

Yes I am a BMWMOA member and it has already been posted in the appropriate thread.
jwshort
Posted 6/3/2016 4:49 PM (#89369 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Dana!! The fake Beemer crack was based on the reverse engineering of the Ural from the WWII Beemer. Yes - it has evolved from there for the better but that is where it started as with a couple of other Russian brands.
Tax Man
Posted 6/3/2016 7:07 PM (#89370 - in reply to #89368)

Extreme Veteran

I visited the HD museum in Milwaukee a few years ago and was surprised to see a horizontally opposed engine on one of the bikes.

I spent 25 months of my active duty time in the Army in a Field Artillery Target Acquisition Battalion. HQ battery had a drone aircraft platoon used primarily for photo reconnaissance. They were metal skinned, fixed wing aircraft with a 13' wingspan and were powered by an air-cooled horizontally opposed engine, though I don't remember now if they were 2- or 4-cylinder. Even though they were an expendable item, I would have been in big trouble if I had brought one home with me.
Al Olme
Posted 6/3/2016 7:58 PM (#89371 - in reply to #89370)

Expert

In the horizontally opposed frame of reference... The Pioneer Village Museum in Cameron, WI has a washing machine that is powered by a horizontally opposed twin that was purpose built for the job. There are lots on BMW engines [often with a Rotax gearbox] used in ultralight aircraft.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/3/2016 9:17 PM (#89373 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

We will have to continue the Ural thread elsewhere but it did get some action in the thread.

And for the record the flatheads were 750s not 650s, surprised no one called me on that, too laid back over here I guess.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/6/2016 10:19 AM (#89377 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Ok everyone if you have not registered yet and want a T shirt for the rally speak now and I will get it in the order. I don't need money until the rally I just need to know you want one as I will not be ordering a bunch of extras.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/6/2016 10:34 AM (#89381 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I took the K100/EML rig over to Palisade for the annual vintage show.

A nice ride back home to Hotchkiss.

Bob Herman
Posted 6/6/2016 10:36 AM (#89382 - in reply to #85180)

Dana, I saw your rig at the show. I didn't see anyone hanging near it so don't know if I saw you!
DirtyDR
Posted 6/6/2016 10:38 AM (#89383 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

For those of you coming in from Grand Junction be very careful coming down Highway 50 from Grand Junction to Delta. This is a divide 4 lane highway that was made for cruising but the speed limit is only 65 and anything over 70 will get you a ticket as the Colorado State Patrol have a very definite presence and they have no mercy. Just a note of caution for your friendly rally tip today.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/6/2016 10:42 AM (#89384 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

When I was not wandering the show looking at bikes I was sitting on a bench in the shade by the bakery across from the rig.

I did see you pull in but by the time I got motivated to walk over you disappeared.
Joe Kelly
Posted 6/6/2016 12:24 PM (#89387 - in reply to #85180)

I just had a stroke and will be unable to attend, will you send me my packet and by the way the Redwood may have a room I released mine.
spat
Posted 6/6/2016 12:45 PM (#89388 - in reply to #89384)
Subject: Road report

I was at the Palisade as well then rode back down to Hotchkiss with Dana. Sunday morning we sat at the fair grounds discussing the rally and setup, I am getting excited, it's only a month away and it's beautify riding in every direction.
I left Hotchkiss late morning north over McClure pass to Glenwood Springs and 70 west. Glenwood near I70 gets a bit congested. On I70 construction spotty thru Glenwood Canyon (this has got to be one of the prettiest stretches on all of I70) and down to single lane in spots around Vail, not too bad of a delay the last 2 weekends I've been thru there. Also the east bound side of vail pass has shoulder work causing no delays but it is a construction zone. I remember near Idaho Springs some construction but caused no delays and why I am not sure of the location. Traffic into Denver Sunday afternoon gets very heavy and will slow to a crawl for 30 miles between Georgetown and Denver. Prime time 2-6pm. There is a toll lane to easy your pain and lighten your wallet. It's a floating rate depending on the traffic volume. This Sunday it was 4 buck and I only saw 2 vehicles in it but I
hear it can get pricey. Traffic was heavy but moving well be it only about 30-40 mph for me. The price is post, they snap your picture then send you a bill.
On the North side of McClure Pass is the historic town of Redstone. It is just the other side of the river but you would never know it if not the turn off sign at both ends, the single road thru town is about 2 miles and your back on 133 from either side. A good size restaurant, a general store and has public restrooms next to the town park. I hit the general store for water and a snack of a killer double chocolate brownie and time to settle my mind for the rest of the trip. I was on 2 wheels and I was having fun over McClure as the traffic was minimal which I thought was pretty unusual and took advantage of it. There is NO gas in Redstone or between Paonia and Carbondale about 60 miles. On I 70 Gas in the mountains is a bit more. Dillon has fair size gas stops on both sides of I70. On the East side of the Divide Georgetown has a good rest stop and gas, I hit Idaho Springs and found the gas more than in the mountains. I would not advise bringing a bigger RV and trailer to either of those 2 stops. A 76 fuel station and truck stop as you hit the west end of the Denver suburbs is probably the best bet for the large rigs. Then a couple more on the east side of town as well.
230'ish miles Hotchkiss to the west side of Denver took me around 5 hours
Travel safe and see ya soon.
John

Edited by spat 6/6/2016 12:46 PM
Reardan Tom
Posted 6/6/2016 12:51 PM (#89390 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Holy cow Joe!! Good luck to ya and here's to a speedy recovery!!! And Spat, thanks much for the information!!
DirtyDR
Posted 6/6/2016 1:45 PM (#89392 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Just to reinforce what Spat posted; if you are coming in through Glenwood Springs and Carbondale over McClure Pass then pay heed to the sign leaving Carbondale that states Next fuel 60 miles.
Tax Man
Posted 6/6/2016 2:59 PM (#89393 - in reply to #89392)

Extreme Veteran

Joe, I'm also sorry to hear of your stroke and that you will not be attending Rigs in the Rockies.

Spat, Dana, and others: keep those riding tips coming. We are down to less than 1 month until we leave for Hotchkiss.
dholaday
Posted 6/11/2016 7:09 PM (#89445 - in reply to #89340)

Regular

Tom: 

If I were coming from Spokane, I'd try either 95 or 195 to Lewiston, then 95 down to New Meadows, then 55 to Boise and I84. 

Then to Pocatello via either 84/86 or 84/20/26 [if the latter, a quick stop in Craters of the Moon]. Then 30 out of Pocatello to Kemmerer, 189 - 412 - 414 out of Idaho to 43 in Utah then 44 to Red Canyon and 191 to US 40 in Vernal. That gets you around Salt Lake City; 40 to Dinosaur, then CO64 to Rangely and 139 to Loma, then I70 - US50 to Hotchkiss.

IF [BIG IF] things work out for me and I'm able to make the rally, I plan on following at least part of that route myself.

Hope to see y'all there 

Duncan

Reardan Tom
Posted 6/11/2016 9:05 PM (#89446 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Sounds good Duncan. Thanks. I get to the Pocatello/Blackfoot ID area somewhat regularly, having relatives in SE Idaho. And I've been to Vernal a couple times. Beers H-D is a good stop in Vernal. Been to Grand Junction as well but have no actual memory of the route we took to get there. Other than coming over a very high pass before dropping down into Grand Junction.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/13/2016 10:45 AM (#89461 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I took a little ride up Grand Mesa yesterday afternoon. The end of this road is about 20 miles from the fairgrounds in Hotchkiss. I was only around 10,000' but when you get up high there is still a lot snow.

DirtyDR
Posted 6/13/2016 11:00 AM (#89462 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

And for today's public service message be careful out there. I passed a dozen deer or more riding around and driving back to Edwards in the van so keep an eye out. Also keep a wary eye on the road as there are a lot of rocks falling on the roads this time of year as things are thawed out.

One last note watch for farm equipment on the roads as it is that time of year. This is a very rural area and the roads are narrow, hilly and twisty. If you round a corner or come over a hill there may be large farm equipment coming down the road and the sidecar will lose against the combine every time.

Tax Man
Posted 6/13/2016 1:12 PM (#89463 - in reply to #89462)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the warning. This is not too uncommon a sight in my area except the tractor has triples of the rear, and duals on the front. We generally use duals on the rear and either singles or duals on the front. A set of the tractor tires alone would cost somewhere around $8,000-$10,000 to replace. I've never seen the implement he is pulling. I assume it is for preparing a seed bed or for firming the ground after seeding.

We went for a ride on Saturday in a loop through NW Iowa and saw dead deer and raccoons along the road, so we have some of those wildlife hazards too.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/13/2016 2:12 PM (#89465 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

They have a lot of specialized equipment over there for the peach, apple and cherry orchards and grape fields so there is no telling what you will see. There are a lot of vegetable fields also around.

Should be plenty of fresh fruit and veggies about rally time.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/13/2016 2:16 PM (#89466 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Our Saturday night entertainment, https://www.reverbnation.com/dukesheppard , will be playing from 6:00 to 9:00 out on the deck at Revolution Brewing in Paonia, http://www.revolution-brewing.com/ , on Friday night if anyone is looking for something to do with some brews on Friday evening.
Tax Man
Posted 6/13/2016 5:23 PM (#89471 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

The Sheppards sound good. Do they serve root beer at Reverbnation? :^)
DirtyDR
Posted 6/13/2016 9:32 PM (#89474 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I don't know about root beer but I am sure they have something since I don't drink either.

On a side note they are also making the rally shirts.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/18/2016 6:34 PM (#89520 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Took a little ride down to the river.

This is about six miles from the fairgrounds and it is called the Pleasure Park. It is a bar and restaurant on the river for rafters and fisher folks, and of course the errant sidecarist.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/20/2016 12:30 AM (#89535 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

So today I took a ride up to Crawford and rode the back road to Paonia. These are a couple of side roads off of the back road.

Caught the moon coming up behind me:

And the sun going down in front of me:

DirtyDR
Posted 6/20/2016 12:40 AM (#89537 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Today's rally tip is for those folks staying at the North Fork Motel in Hotchkiss. The North Fork is really tight on parking so when you hit town stop by the fairgrounds and unload and drop your trailer, if you are trailering, and then go check in. You are welcome to leave your trailer and tow vehicle at the fairgrounds during your stay if you would like. This is a very secure area so you do not have to worry about your trailer and or vehicle. The fairgrounds are literally across the street from the motel also.
SwampFox
Posted 6/20/2016 7:57 AM (#89539 - in reply to #89520)

Expert

DirtyDR - 6/18/2016 6:34 PM

Took a little ride down to the river....

This is about six miles from the fairgrounds and it is called the Pleasure Park. It is a bar and restaurant on the river for rafters and fisher folks, and of course the errant sidecarist.

Dana, you're sure making me want to toss work responsibilities to the wind and make my way to Hotchkiss.
Tax Man
Posted 6/20/2016 6:09 PM (#89548 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

Lee, why should you be any different than the rest of us?
DirtyDR
Posted 6/22/2016 11:15 AM (#89573 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

How about a few more pictures coming back to Edwards on Monday?

Paonia Reservoir.

A shot from the McClure Pass looking West over the North Fork valley. The tall peak to the far left is next to Paonia and the road is Highway 133.

This is looking South-East towards Marble and the road is still Highway 133. from the East side of McClure Pass.

Two weeks and you could be here.
DRONE
Posted 6/22/2016 2:05 PM (#89578 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Two weeks and I WILL be there! Leaving tomorrow. Taking a long route.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/22/2016 2:40 PM (#89580 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I will be back at the house in Hotchkiss Friday the 2nd and I will be there for the duration so if you head that way early give a yell.
CCjon
Posted 6/22/2016 2:48 PM (#89581 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

That last photo says it all. God's country beggin' to be ridden...

Edited by CCjon 6/22/2016 2:48 PM
Muzzleflash
Posted 6/22/2016 2:57 PM (#89582 - in reply to #85180)

15 more days...
DirtyDR
Posted 6/23/2016 10:51 AM (#89592 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Here is a schedule for the rally for those who need a little organization in their lives:

U.S.C.A. 2016 Rigs in the Rockies Rally

Daily coffee, ice-water and lemonade will be available, along with morning pastries and fruit, starting at 07:00 in Heritage Hall.
Registration will start at 09:00 on Thursday, 7/7 and will run until 12:00 with an hour lunch break and then resume from 13:00 until they get tired and call it a day. This schedule will resume on Friday, 7/8.
Saturday:
Sidecar games will start at 11:00 in the field South of the camping area.
Show and Shine will start at 13:00 in the parking area West of Heritage Hall.
The U.S.C.A. business meeting will start at 16:00 Outside Heritage Hall on the North side.
Dinner will start at 18:00 in Heritage Hall with the awards and door prizes after dinner.
Evening entertainment will start around 20:00 in Heritage Hall.

There will be no organized rides however there will be plenty of maps and reference materials with some sheets for laid out rides located near the registration area in Heritage Hall.
There will also be signup sheets available for people to find others to enjoy rides with.

Muzzleflash
Posted 6/23/2016 11:44 AM (#89593 - in reply to #85180)

Dana this is my first U.S.C.A. event. How many rigs do you expect to attend?
Ken Quast
Posted 6/23/2016 12:47 PM (#89595 - in reply to #85180)

New User

Dana, This is my first National event, I just attended the Midwest Pow Wow. Looking forward to this trip. Side Car games ? What do these consist of ? Any special gear needed snow chains, mallets ? My rig is old but completely rebuilt think we can teach an old side car new tricks ?

Ok joking a side. I am trailering my rig from the Chicago burb's leaving 7-5 early AM if any one is headed that way and wants to caravan that would be cool. Also have a well equipped shop if any one is passing thru this area before then and needs any help. Ken Quast 630-272-8770 feel free to call.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/23/2016 4:25 PM (#89597 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I just counted and I have right at 100 preregistered bodies and 75 or so sidecar rigs. Rally rule of thumb is to plan on 30% to 40% more showing up and registering at the rally.

I am not sure what all they have lined up for the sidecar games but I do know there will be jousting as one event. Do not ask for details because I have none except that there is no physical contact involved. Everything required for sidecar games will be provided except for the driver and sidecar. We can probably provide a monkey if required.
Al Olme
Posted 6/23/2016 4:37 PM (#89598 - in reply to #89595)

Expert

We're leaving early on 5 July from Minneapolis and will take 35 down to Des Moines and then 80 west. Probably staying someplace between North Platte, NE and Sterling, CO [Ogallala, NE is most likely] on the night of the 5th. Our cell phone is 612-759-4666 if you're on the same route and/or need help give us a jingle.

After leaving 80 on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, we're taking Hwy 76 into Denver and then Hwy 70 out of Denver to Glenwood Springs and Hwy 82 south to Hwy 133 into Hotchkiss. Same deal, if you're goin' that way keep in touch.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/23/2016 5:12 PM (#89600 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

For those of you traveling to the rally I wanted to post up some numbers and contact information if you get in to trouble or need some help getting here. Spat and Cookie are my cohosts and they are in Denver if you make it that far and need some information or help. I will be at the house in Hotchkiss Friday the 1st and there for the duration if anyone needs anything on that side of the mountains.

Front Range, East of the divide

Spat and Cookie

720-944-HACK (4225)

spata1a@msn.com

West of the divide

Dana

970-754-RIGS (7447)

coloradorigs@outlook.com
CCjon
Posted 6/23/2016 5:56 PM (#89601 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

I'll be heading north from New Mexico on US 285. Maybe explore a little of Rio Grande Nat'l Forest on the way if anyone wants to join in. Leaving the 5th from Angel Fire.

CCjon
361-813-7374

DirtyDR
Posted 6/24/2016 4:13 PM (#89608 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

No pictures today since I am still slaving away at my other life in Edwards but I can still post up information.

I am still receiving a few straggler registrations in the mail and I just want people to be aware that preregistration has been closed since the 1st and even though I posted a few times that Tshirt sales and preregistration was closed people are still sending in Tshirt requests. There should be a few extra shirts at the rally but I cannot guarantee that you will get one if you did not tell me you wanted one during the appropriate time period.

On another note when Spat was over in Hotchkiss a few weeks ago I took him down to the fairgrounds for some recon and discovered that they had just installed a disc golf course down on the South end of the fairgrounds. If any of you are disc golfers throw your discs in the hack and you can get some exercise on the new course.
DirtyDR
Posted 6/27/2016 2:57 PM (#89622 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

10 day weather forecast for Hotchkiss, looking pretty good.
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/81419:4:US
dholaday
Posted 6/27/2016 5:34 PM (#89623 - in reply to #85180)

Regular

Looks like I'll be able to make Rally - if all goes according to plan [and so far this past 2 months nothing has] I'll get to Hotchkiss late on 7th.

Post-Rally, I'm heading east to MoA in Hamburg NY. Going to do my best to avoid Denver before I have to hit the slabs in Sterling.

How is CO-92 down to US-50? and then 50E towards CO Springs? Does it make sense to do CO-115 to CO Springs, then US24 to CO-71 to I-76? [Clearly I'm avoiding taking I-70 east]

See y'all in a couple of weeks
Thanks,
Duncan
Al Olme
Posted 6/27/2016 6:09 PM (#89624 - in reply to #89623)

Expert

Gee, is 70 THAT BAD? I see a lot of construction but you're adding about an extra 100 miles just to avoid Denver. Google maps sez that it'll take you a little over 8 hours that way. Of course the shorter way does show 14 construction zones between Sterling and Hotchkiss. Dana, what's the scoop? Should we avoid 70?
dholaday
Posted 6/27/2016 6:23 PM (#89625 - in reply to #85180)

Regular

Hi AL

Yeah - adding miles but on twisty scenic roads - the last I'll see for many miles and a long time. I'm probably adding more miles by going I80 instead of I 70 east towards Hamburg. I just don't like I70

Of course if Dana tells me I'm crazy I'll reconsider.

Looking forward to seeing you in Hotchkiss

Thanks
Duncan
dholaday
Posted 6/27/2016 6:29 PM (#89626 - in reply to #85180)

Regular

Hi AL

Yeah - adding miles but on twisty scenic roads - the last I'll see for many miles and a long time. I'm probably adding more miles by going I80 instead of I 70 east towards Hamburg. I just don't like I70

Of course if Dana tells me I'm crazy I'll reconsider.

Looking forward to seeing you in Hotchkiss

Thanks
Duncan
Bob Herman
Posted 6/27/2016 9:59 PM (#89627 - in reply to #85180)

Rte 92 is one of Colorado's great roads. US 50 in the canyon is nice too, though generally heavily trafficked in summer.
dholaday
Posted 6/30/2016 2:32 PM (#89660 - in reply to #85180)

Regular

Thanks Bob

Duncan
DirtyDR
Posted 7/1/2016 10:24 AM (#89667 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Less than a week, see everyone there.
Sideshow
Posted 7/4/2016 12:53 AM (#89705 - in reply to #85180)

We will be leaving tomorrow to go to the rally, 1st one. Will be taking US 30 to Stering,co, then 6 to Brush. South to LaJunta. Staying over nite then on to Durango. Going to take old train from Durango to Silverton. We will be at the rally on Thursday.
DirtyDR
Posted 7/4/2016 12:09 PM (#89709 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Hanging around waiting...................

J.R.
Posted 7/4/2016 2:53 PM (#89715 - in reply to #89709)

Extreme Veteran

Avanell and I are in Gunnison. Will be there Wed. Hoping to see a lot of old friends as well as a lot of new folks.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex. rep
BreckRider
Posted 7/5/2016 9:37 PM (#89745 - in reply to #85180)

dholaday,

You may want to consider taking Hwy133 to Hwy82 to Glenwood Springs then I70 for only forty miles, seventeen of which is through Glenwood Canyon and about as scenic as an interstate can get. Then take Hwy 131 at Wolcott to Hwy 134 to Hwy 40 up to Hwy 14 through Walden on Hwy 125 to Hwy 127 to Laramie Wy. where you can pick up I80. Glenwood Springs would be the largest city you would have to go through on this route. All the roads from Wolcott on are very scenic and much more fun that anything on the front range. It would be much cooler also.
DirtyDR
Posted 7/5/2016 11:05 PM (#89749 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

And it starts, Drone and Kirby made it in this afternoon.

SwampFox
Posted 7/6/2016 7:30 AM (#89756 - in reply to #89749)

Expert

DirtyDR - 7/5/2016 11:05 PM

... and Kirby made it in this afternoon....

Hi Kirby     Sorry I'm not there to scratch your ears in person.

Looking fwd to more pics and stories.  

Muzzleflash
Posted 7/6/2016 7:39 AM (#89757 - in reply to #85180)

Getting there...

(P1050911.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1050911.JPG (4179KB - 2 downloads)
Reardan Tom
Posted 7/6/2016 9:14 AM (#89758 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Glad to see Drone and Kirby made it. Petey and I had a monkey wrench thrown into our plans yesterday. Just outside Kellogg Idaho, I began to smell oil. Then my bike began to smoke like crazy and I limped into Kellogg putting out a major smoke screen. Called my son and waited the hours it took for him to get out to my place and get my trailer. He and my grandson came to Kellogg and rescued me. Stopped at Vintage V-Twin for Bill to look. Right now, it seems to be coming from the crank position sensor so not as bad as it appeared but still the bike is down and the trip is off. Made an appointment to get the bike in on the 12th. Here's hoping you all have a great rally!!
tinboatcapt
Posted 7/6/2016 9:46 AM (#89759 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Well, bad luck and trouble strike again. I loaded the rig yesterday and rode it 150 miles to check everything out. Everything was fine. This morning, not so much. It wouldn't start. I think it's an omen. Jim
tinboatcapt
Posted 7/6/2016 5:41 PM (#89771 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I won't be at the rally. Bike trouble has me back home after only 130 miles. Next year, maybe.
Jim
Al Olme
Posted 7/7/2016 1:02 AM (#89782 - in reply to #89771)

Expert

Jim,

'Sorry to hear about your problem. The crowd is gathering here and the weather is warm but dry. The area is beautiful. Get ready for Corning next year.
DirtyDR
Posted 7/11/2016 12:38 PM (#89827 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

And then there was one.

DirtyDR
Posted 7/11/2016 12:52 PM (#89828 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I just wanted to thank everyone who came out to the rally, I hope a good time was had by all and judging by how empty the grounds were during the day it looks like there was a lot of riding and enjoying the country side going on.

It was great seeing all of the regular rally rats and meeting new ones. If I did not spend a lot of time visiting I apologize but they had me running so I will visit next year at the rally where I can watch someone else working.

I wanted to throw a special thank you out to the Colorado CZAR Ural riders for running the games for us and bringing in a rather substantial Ural contingent. Cookie was running registration and doing a marvelous job of keeping up with registrations and trying to run the Information center. Spat, thanks for keeping up with the refreshment table and helping with general traffic indoors and out.

I have already heard from a few people in town and all were grateful for the business and the wonderful show of all the great rigs running around town, biggest question was when are we coming back? There could be an annual regional in the air if there is enough interest but I guess I should finish up clearing the books on this one before I contemplate the next.

A big thanks to all for what I and the town at least considered a successful rally, now get busy posting pictures because I want to see what I missed.

Dana, Rally Master 2016
Al Olme
Posted 7/12/2016 11:11 AM (#89841 - in reply to #89828)

Expert

Dana,

Thanks for all your work in putting on the 2016 rally. We all had a good time and enjoyed the great scenery.

While I was there I was asked many times about where the pictures from the 2015 rally could be found. They have been posted at https://uscarally2015.shutterfly.com/ since last year and are still all there and available in full resolution for anyone. That link was posted in the 2015 rally thread on July 31st last year. The first attempt at posting the photos at www.stickybunny.com WILL NOT GET YOU ALL THE PHOTOS, use Shutterfly.

jwshort
Posted 7/12/2016 12:08 PM (#89845 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Al:
I think that was the second question that I was asked and the first question Harold was asked. For what is worth the resolution on those pictures is so good Harold was able to zoom in and read a name tag on Linda George so he could send their Mt Rushmore pic from his pictures from last year.

AND YES!! Thanks Dana for your work on this rally. The venue was as good as we have had in many years. The scenery was fantastic. The only down side was the heat. You couldn't control that.
HHShort
Posted 7/12/2016 1:14 PM (#89848 - in reply to #89845)

Veteran

I relate to Dana's comment on not getting to visit. My comment on last years rally was the "I never finished a conversation the whole rally". This year my goal was to just sit and visit. I had time for old friends and made some new friends. The venue was made for that, either sitting in Heritage Hall or under the trees in the park.

Thanks to Dana, Cookie and Spat for making us all feel welcome Harold back in Rapid City
Reardan Tom
Posted 7/12/2016 6:37 PM (#89850 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Sure wish Petey and I would have made it all the way. Just found out today my rear cylinder is toast. Good thing we were still only 100 miles from home when things went gunny bags. Close enough for my son to come to the rescue. But still wishin' we were sharing experiences and photos from the rally. What is it that's said about best laid plans?
spat
Posted 7/12/2016 7:58 PM (#89852 - in reply to #85180)

"I never finished a conversation the whole rally"

Harold that was exactly my rally experience this year.

I spoke with everyone but no one very long yet it was still the most fun rally I have been to in a long time.
Thank you all for joining us
DirtyDR
Posted 7/12/2016 9:22 PM (#89853 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Everyone in town that I have spoken with says that they really enjoyed having everyone here and they cannot wait until we come again. The owner of the Taco Hut said that we were the nicest, most polite and clean group she has ever had come in.
DirtyDR
Posted 7/16/2016 3:50 PM (#89891 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

The last of the stragglers headed out this morning so I just wanted to thank everyone one last time. To all the folks from Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Texas who were glad to get away from the heat at home and thought the weather was great here thanks. To the rest I am sorry if it was uncomfortable but three weeks earlier there were still roads on Grand Mesa that were closed by snow along with a lot of the higher passes so it is what it is.

Anyway a big thanks to all and to those waiting on the second printing of shirts I will get them in the mail as soon as I get them.

Dana, ex rally master - has been.
Muzzleflash
Posted 7/17/2016 5:14 PM (#89908 - in reply to #85180)

Stopped here on the way home. I don't know why it's sideways...maybe I need a lean adjustment.

Edited by Muzzleflash 7/17/2016 5:17 PM

(IMG_1194.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1194.JPG (2985KB - 3 downloads)
CCjon
Posted 7/18/2016 6:28 PM (#89936 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

To Dana and crew, many many thanks for hosting this year's rally. Was a lot of fun.

Put together a little YouTube video of riding to and at the rally.

Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m6l7tOYtWw

The background music is by the husband-wife duo who entertained Saturday night.

CCjon
RichardMc4
Posted 7/18/2016 6:54 PM (#89938 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Great Job on the video.
Reardan Tom
Posted 7/18/2016 7:37 PM (#89939 - in reply to #85180)

Elite Veteran

Excellent video!!
tinboatcapt
Posted 7/18/2016 8:05 PM (#89940 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Excellent! Thank you. But now I'm more disappointed than ever my tug broke enroute. See you all next year.
Jim
Muzzleflash
Posted 7/18/2016 9:03 PM (#89942 - in reply to #85180)

Great video CC thanks for posting.
spat
Posted 7/18/2016 11:56 PM (#89945 - in reply to #85180)

Muzzleflash you deserved the kuddos you got for that pretty rig and thanks riding it out to join us.

CCjon, You had to be about the only one I did not talk to or even meet but I felt your presence thru that video thanks for posting

Edited by spat 7/18/2016 11:58 PM
CCjon
Posted 7/19/2016 8:14 AM (#89947 - in reply to #85180)

Extreme Veteran

Not to take away from any of the other beautiful rigs there, but Muzzleflash's Indian/Hannigan rig sure turns a lot of heads.

Spat, like my down-n-dirty rig the Grey Phantom, I just sort of quietly slip in and out. Thanks for all the great work you did with Dana in hosting the rally.
Joe Kelly
Posted 7/19/2016 7:21 PM (#89974 - in reply to #85180)

I tried to e-mail to the coloradorigs@outlook.com address but it comes back as being undeliverable. So away I just wanted to ask when do you think you'll be able to mail me the t-shirts.

bishinik85641@hotmail.com
PO Box 464
Vail AZ 85641
SwampFox
Posted 7/20/2016 8:11 AM (#89977 - in reply to #85180)

Expert

Thanks for taking us along for the ride CCJon ... and showing those of us that could not attend what we missed. And, yes, the Indian/Hannigan rig turned my head.
Rustle
Posted 7/20/2016 2:32 PM (#89994 - in reply to #89977)

Regular

Great Video! Absolutely love Colorado!
Thanks for sharing CC!

Edited by Rustle 7/21/2016 11:04 AM
AJ1200
Posted 7/26/2016 1:57 PM (#90088 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

Wow great video. Looks like it was a great Rally
DirtyDR
Posted 8/1/2016 12:02 PM (#90163 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

coloradorigs email is gone, started getting too much spam so I killed it. It was only a temporary for the rally any way.

T shirts that were preordered and paid for are in the mail and the second printing for those who ordered and paid at the rally will be forthcoming when they get them printed up.
Joe Kelly
Posted 8/1/2016 5:18 PM (#90164 - in reply to #90163)

Thanks, I paid for them when I registered back in Jan 2016 sent you a check for $59.00. I had a Stroke in June and canceled my trip. In our e-mail exchanges I told you may keep the registration fees just mail me the t-shirts. So they should have been done in the first printing, waiting.
DirtyDR
Posted 8/1/2016 5:22 PM (#90165 - in reply to #85180)

Veteran

I got it a little lazy and did not start cleanup stuff from the rally for a couple of weeks, needed a break from rally stuff, but your shirt is in the mail.

Same goes for all of the others.