Drillin holes into fiberglas
eli
Posted 7/29/2015 1:00 PM (#85596)
Subject: Drillin holes into fiberglas

Hello again all.

On my Velorex 562, the "posts" for attaching the tonneau and the top and what else have you are inexplicably in the wrong place. I found out after getting the tonneau and top (thanks Lonnie!). I haven't the foggiest idea what MZ/Velorex were thinking, but I'm not overly concerned. Eastern Europe is a funny place.

I was originally going to buy some cordura, and sew a gusset into the tonneau to make it reach nicely (the spacing of the posts front to rear is about two inches too long). My sidecar passenger and significant other is a professional tailor, this is right in our wheelhouse. But now that I have the top, I realize that I'd rather move the post/add another post, as the top is more of an item I'd rather not modify.

SO, after that long winded explanation my question is this:

Any tips for drilling into the fiberglas body of the velorex? I'm planning on covering the area with "blue" tape, not centerpunching, at least with any force, but I will use a centerpunch by hand to make a nice little divot in the tape to keep the bit on the spot, drilling slowly and with the drill held perpendicular to the surface, doing my best to not have "blowout" on the inside, and just touching the edges of the hole with a countersink to neaten things up and prevent a chippy/crack creating situation.

I'll plug the old hole with a nut/bolt and sealing washers on both sides and may dab a little silicone as well. I may even use a bolt with a rounded head for that oh so sanitary look. Of course I am planning on wearing proper protective gear, and measuring accurately before I even consider drilling.

I'm not especially worried about this project, I feel it's well within my skill set, but this is a forum with people who have drilled a million holes in a million velorexes, and I always want to solicit the voice of experience! Certainly better than posting a picture of my butchery after the fact (although I reserve the right to still commit butchery).

Thanks!

Eli

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 7/29/2015 1:51 PM (#85597 - in reply to #85596)
Subject: Re: Drillin holes into fiberglas

Expert

The early body is hand laid fiberglass cloth. I would suggest checking the inside of the body at these attaching points to see if any reinforcing was used originally and follow suit.
Some early 562's or 562E models had female snaps on the body which were only used for a short time. These are easily replaced with male snaps since the are held in with a screw.
I haven't run across any where the grommet holes were out of line since the inception of the 562/03 (Economy model), or the 562/09 Standard.

Lonnie

Edited by Hack'n 7/29/2015 1:54 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page