re alignment of a champion daytona 2+2 car questions
fastjoe
Posted 12/10/2015 1:11 PM (#87070)
Subject: re alignment of a champion daytona 2+2 car questions

Veteran

I'm getting used to our new to us daytona 2+2 car and like it a lot just need some help tuning the alignment.

When I put the smaller diameter automotive tire on the rear of the gl1500 I  tried to align it by the method I had used on our friendship 1 car that is mounted on our HD.
I put weight in everything to simulate a passenger and a rider. I read the directions for setting the tilt during alignment and set it 1" up.  Set the car wheel perpendicular or straight up and down with a level with the bike straight up and down, set the toe in at the amount spec'd in the instructions (3/4" with easy steer trees) and then leaned the bike out 1-2 degrees .

After all that I stood back and looked at what I had and there was no way it was going down the road like that. The car wheel has a great deal of camber built into it from the factory and setting it straight up and down vertical caused the car to be tilted strangely with the frame higher at the bike than at the wheel when everything was done.

I then closely followed the instruction sheet that came with the car and supported the car on blocks of specified heights to establish a level car frame side to side as well as whatever it worked out to front to back, didn't worry about the excess camber of the car wheel , deflated the air suspension  on the rear of the bike to simulate a weighted bike, used the 3/4" tow measurement specified and adjusted the lean out as prescribe with  the tilt raised 1" from it's bottom position. The result was much better. It goes down the road properly l but is eating the rear tire off the bike quite quickly and while the rear  motorcycle tire is wearing evenly the sidecar tire is wearing out prematurely on the inside edge from the high camber angle.  The inside edge is .050less tread depth than the outside.

I'm doing some more changes to the front end which will change everything so I need to re align the car to the bike.

This go round I'm going to reduce the toe in to hopefully increase rear tire life. At this rate I won't see 5000 miles from the car snow tire I have fitted.  I'm going to try 3/8" toe in which is what we run on our HD/friendship rig. That will be 1/2 of what I have now. Does this sound reasonable?

I'm at a loss how to deal with the excess camber on the sidecar wheel issue.  I've never had an electric lean before.  It's a little confusing as to what it does to the geometry of the bike when it leans the bike.  When I pulled the wheel off to bleed the brakes I didn't see anything that was an obvious way to adjust the camber of the car  wheel.  Did I miss something?  I'd like to fix the excess camber issue when I realign it.

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by fastjoe 12/10/2015 1:23 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 12/14/2015 10:48 AM (#87113 - in reply to #87070)
Subject: Re: re alignment of a champion daytona 2+2 car questions

Expert

Set it up with the wheel straight up and down, this is more important then the sidecar sitting level. I would first make sure that the swing arm pivot bushings are in good order.
Your GL is quite a bit longer then your other bike and with the automotive tire on the sidecar I would set toe at about 1 1/4 inches.
I have attached basic alignment instructions.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BASIC SIDECAR INSTRUCTIONS.doc (388KB - 15 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page