rear upper S/Car mount
stancotreau
Posted 9/7/2016 1:55 PM (#90678)
Subject: rear upper S/Car mount

Regular

Hi, I have a Bonneville / Velorex rig. I am quite happy with the setup .... except the rear upper mount. It is the thin steel strap type and it keeps slipping out of position, leaning the cycle towards the S/Car and tipping the S/Car downwards.

I have decided to build a replacement mount, something a bit more solid and less prone to slipping. I teach machine shop and welding so the fabrication is not an issue.

I'm thinking of designing a mount that goes onto the upper shock bolt and also clamps to the frame, But I haven't sketched it out yet...... and I am open to any and all ideas.

If anyone has done this on a bonneville please let me know what you did. also, send me pictures if you have them

thanks,
Stan (I was going to weld the mount in place but decided not to in case I ever want to swap the velorex for a different car)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 9/8/2016 11:21 AM (#90688 - in reply to #90678)
Subject: Re: rear upper S/Car mount

Expert

More then likely the real underlying problem is the lower rear mount on the sidecar frame. A frame clamp for the upper rear works quite well as if done proper it is not trying to rotate rather it would be trying to slip up or down the tube it is clamped to.
The Velorex clamp however leaves a lot to be desired as you can not really tighten it up as much as one would like with out damaging the frame of the bike and then as the cross bolts take up the tension over time the holes for these bolts stretch.
We of course make a proper mounting kit for the sidecar that gives you all 4 mounting points. We like to do away altogether with the Velorex lower mounts as can be seen at this link http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-...
We also have in production right now and are taking orders for triple tree's to lower the steering effort with the sidecar $1000
And we have a Bonniville in the shop right now with a Kozi sidecar on it that was mounted by a shop that specliazes in these. The new owner found it almost not ridable it having so many issues so we are working on an article similar to the one linked for the Sportster showing the proper fixes. The Kozi uses pretty much the same type hardware as the Velorex.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page