Sidecar Swingarm Mounting
ncdave
Posted 11/22/2016 3:23 PM (#91487)
Subject: Sidecar Swingarm Mounting

time for an enhancement to my cheapo sidecar. it's a variation of an inder that supposedly has larger/thicker frame tubing. overall, the basic frame seems sturdy. I added a new pinch tube and mount for the lower mount to the bike. it really locked in the frame to the motorcycle and is doing very well with my homemade mounts.

I also improved my sidecar wheel by welding on an axle from harbor freight and mounting a trailer hub and wheel. again, much more sturdy for the weight of the Nomad.

Now my remaining weak spot is the swingarm mount. I need a good solution for attaching an axle of some sort for the swingarm, and likely will rebuild the entire swingarm using 2x2 square tube and my same northern tool axle setup. my goal right now is to design a good pivot point for the swingarm.

anyone have any designs, pictures or info???

Jay and Claude, before you smack me up side my head and tell me you told me so, I just want to say I am stubborn, and this process has been a really great learning experience getting into sidecars. I really don't regret the direction I went. just another step in the process.

the final step is going to be my leading link front end!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 11/22/2016 4:35 PM (#91488 - in reply to #91487)
Subject: RE: Sidecar Swingarm Mounting

Expert

Dave, Some folks have had luck with using the suspension from a trailer. It is usually more than sturdy enough and it isn't very expensive. There are lots of variations in design. Good luck.
Al Olme
Posted 11/22/2016 11:39 PM (#91493 - in reply to #91487)
Subject: Re: Sidecar Swingarm Mounting

Expert

Torsion is one version. There are swing arms with coils springs and also something that looks like half a leaf spring with an axle on the end. I'd look at "trailer kits" with the idea of hacking some of the parts. You could also go the Harley route and suspend the car over a solid mounted wheel. That's not what I'd do but it's an option.
storch
Posted 11/25/2016 2:48 PM (#91508 - in reply to #91487)
Subject: RE: Sidecar Swingarm Mounting

I use a 1.5" square tube {1/8"wall) and use 1 1/16" trailer spindles for wheel and swingarm bearing.Worked well on some sidecars on biggish bikes
like FJ1100,K 1100,Valkyrie.

Gary
I could email some pics to you.
tinboatcapt
Posted 11/25/2016 3:02 PM (#91509 - in reply to #91487)
Subject: Re: Sidecar Swingarm Mounting

Veteran

I am following this thread with interest. If you get a chance I would like to see some pics. Thanks,
Jim