Curious why a 70 and 45 degree Boss & Clamps?
Red Ryder
Posted 2/1/2017 8:44 PM (#92249)
Subject: Curious why a 70 and 45 degree Boss & Clamps?

Hey all, last year I bought a CSC Friendship III to mount to my 08 Harley Ultra. It is hooked up, not correctly, but it works. Looking at it I have the Clamps correct, but the only way I could get the car back enough, with parts I have, is to reverse the Bosses.
I plan on painting car to match bike, and starting over mounting to bike. I realize I will need a longer Boss or two, but that lead me to the title:

Why a 70 and 45 degree Boss & Clamps?
What is the Purpose for two different sizes?

Thanks-James
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 2/2/2017 10:17 AM (#92257 - in reply to #92249)
Subject: Re: Curious why a 70 and 45 degree Boss & Clamps?

Expert

45 degree clamps move more towards the sidecar then fore and aft and as such often make it easier to get under floor boards. 70 degree gives you more fore and aft movement and often allows you to get the sidecar in closer. We also make these items extra long in which case we double wall them for less flex and we also make them with longer ends where the hiem joint threads in this can help with floor boards. We make ours out of 1.5 inch O.D. tubing as we feel that 1.25 flex to much however we do also make our clamps double walled 1.25 stepping them up to 1.5 for the boss in order to work with other brands of sidecars. We also do not make 90 degree bosses and clamps like some other companies as we find that they flex to much. By making sure every thing has very little to no flex we more often then not can get by with out a steering damper, other companies running 1.25 tubing almost always end up needing a damper. A damper makes your steering effort harder all the time which is the last thing you need. They can also induce steer.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Red Ryder
Posted 2/2/2017 2:54 PM (#92260 - in reply to #92249)

Thank You Jay for the clarification on these parts. Your description is exactly what I experienced. The longer I went on the front boss, the further the sidecar went from the bike, and did not interfear with the floorboard, maybe because I switched the bosses around. But, right now it is hard to turn right, but easy turning left. I am to far forward, about 15 1/2" from center to center. Feel if I could move it back 5" that would help. The 45 and 70 degree boss I have are approximately 10" long. How Long can you make your boss mounts? Thanks-
jaydmc
Posted 2/2/2017 2:57 PM (#92261 - in reply to #92249)

Expert

We can make them any way you want however there are many sizes we keep in stock.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com