Dog Riding Partners
Rockhound Rider
Posted 4/7/2007 10:46 PM (#24351)
Subject: Dog Riding Partners

For those who take their Dogs with them, in their sidecar, maybe you can help me out by telling me or describing how to hook up a safety harness for my dog. Not sure how my dog is going to take to riding the sidecar at first and surely don't want her jumping out while moving. I had thought of building a bird cage like shell over the seating area, just as a safety percotion and still allow her to sit up, with the wind in her face. LoL

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bob in Wis
Posted 4/8/2007 1:25 AM (#24352 - in reply to #24351)
Subject: RE: Dog Riding Partners

Rock,
the safest thing to do is put a chest type harness on the dog..NOT a collar, and attach the leash hook to the underside of it, Then attach a short leash to the sidecar inside somewhere that when extended, will allow the dog to just reach the edge of the sidecar, to get his head 'in the wind' but not long enough to allow him/her to stand up on the side, and the chance of being thrown overboard in a sharp turn or even trying to jump out. If the dog is small, a pillow can be used to elevate him/her to the desired height to be able to see over the side without stnding up.
fasten the other end of the leash down inside somewhere to allow the pooch to go down inside if it desires.
some riders have no restraints for thier dogs, stating 'he doesnt try and jump out', but there is always the chance of being THROWN over the side in a sudden manouver.I found this out the hard way. or. rather, My dog did.
Reardan Tom
Posted 4/8/2007 9:03 AM (#24355 - in reply to #24352)

When Archie first started riding with me in the Ural I used a harness meant for seat belt use. I had a large D ring sewn on about half way up or a little more on the chest strap. I made two leashes with swivel hooks on each end and put eye bolts in the car. He could stand up or lay down but not bail out. There is a story of his first ride on the Ural home page www.imz-ural.com where the owners stories are. He never made any attempt to get out (except that first time when it was parked- see the story) so soon we were down to one leash on the harness then one leash on his collar then no leash. He jumps in when it's time to go and doesn't get out until I give him the word. He pays no attention to other dogs, kids, rabbits or anything else other than just sitting there scoping out the world through his doggle covered eyes.

Edited by Reardan Tom 4/8/2007 9:04 AM
Bob in Wis
Posted 4/8/2007 9:48 AM (#24357 - in reply to #24351)

Tom,
dont push your's or Archie's luck by not restraining him. remember **** can happen, and will. time for my story.
my zu behaves the same way..would never hop out of the SC until I opened the lid to let him out. even at stores and restaurants. one nice day I took him for a ride around the 'hood. we were traveling slow...25-30 around the subdivision, till I got to dead end circle. rather than going into it i made a quick left swerve back to the street. and continued on. about 2 blocks further I looked over and saw the Pepi was gone!!! his leash was hanging over the side of the sidecar!
I stopped instantly and ran around to the curb side, ans saw that the collar was still on the leash and the dog was gone. I immediately retraced my steps looking for him. I found him 4 blocks back with a lady who found him sitting on the curb all dirty and limping. seems he was standing up on the seat when I swerved, and was thrown overboard. the rear of his body flipped over the side, and he was hanging by his neck in the collar. he must have been dragged by the leash a short way before slipping out of the collar, which saved his life. if this would have happend at a higher speed out on the highway he wouldnt be here now!!
use restraints!!always!! that do not allow the dog to flip over the side.
I learned the hard way.

gpers2
Posted 4/8/2007 11:57 AM (#24365 - in reply to #24351)

Hi Jim:
Eye protection is very important for dogs exposed to the wind. The wind dries their eyes. They make dog eye goggles called Doggles. Doggles are available in many pet stores, and online. Here is one website: http://doggles.stores.yahoo.net/home.html

Looking forward to meeting you and your dog at the ID rally.
Gail in CA
Reardan Tom
Posted 4/8/2007 7:44 PM (#24380 - in reply to #24365)

That's for sure Gail. A number of years ago Barb and I met a guy who had an eight year old German Shepard who rode on the back seat of his Harley with him. That in itself is something I didn't think I wanted Archie to do. But the thing that made an impression on me at the time was the dog was nearly blind because of the wind and debris. No goggles of any kind. I doubt Doggles were around then but maybe... Some other pair could have been converted. Archie and I made a great run today. Went to the top of Steptoe Butte via 231/23 Sprague to Steptoe then home via 27. Lunch in a Mom and Pop restaurant in Oaksdale. Super local crowd having Easter lunch. The conversation was so good we stayed long. Doggles all the way when we were moving down the road...

Edited by Reardan Tom 4/8/2007 9:21 PM
Bob in Wis
Posted 4/8/2007 11:10 PM (#24382 - in reply to #24351)

yup, gail, they are a necessity to the dogs..I have them also.takes awhile to get them used to them. but..they learn...no riding unless they wear them!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/bzinda/bike%20stuff/brandyal...
rockjok
Posted 4/30/2007 7:26 AM (#25058 - in reply to #24351)

I fabricated a fiberglass roof to contain my dogs and it worked well. My pooches really prefer to be in the hack and have never shown any inclination to jump out and "explore". I had a webbing net just in case but haven't ever used it. It was designed for a velorex but I've since modified one to fit my current Chang...

Here's a couple of links in case you wanted to see it:

http://www.imt.net/~rockjok/rig1.jpg

http://www.imt.net/~rockjok/rig2.jpg

http://www.imt.net/~rockjok/hack1.jpg

Since I'm running out of storage space, I may be offering the molds for sale soon.

Rob (rockjok)

Beemerchef
Posted 5/11/2007 4:56 PM (#25295 - in reply to #25058)

Been on the road with Spirit for 7 months now... It all depends on the dog... he will only jump out (once) when we crashed and I was glad to have at least 6 to 7' of line!!!
You can read all about it here: http://www.theoasisofmysoul.com

Be well...

Ara & Spirit
Reardan Tom
Posted 5/11/2007 7:55 PM (#25298 - in reply to #25295)

Good point Ara. You wouldn't want your best buddy to bail and hang in front of the sidecar tire! It's a real challenge to figure out how to restrain in such a way that they can move a bit (stand up, lay down etc.) but not go over the side.

I used a harness meant for seat belt use with an extra D ring sewn in the chest area and two short leashes early on for Archie.
kurth23
Posted 5/18/2007 5:27 AM (#25491 - in reply to #24351)

I have a Motorvation Spyder that my schnauzer rides in. She wears a standard dog harness. The harness has rings at the shoulders that hold it together. I attached links (the universal kind with the threaded portion in the middle) to these rings.

There is a pet retention chain attached to the floor of the car with a bolt. To this I attached a Y shaped dog lead designed for walking two dogs on the same leash. The two ends of the Y terminate in spring snaps for attaching to two dog collars. Instead, I attach them to the two links hanging from the shoulders of the harness on the dog.

I made the whole affair just long enough so she can lie down, sit, stand, and poke her nose around the outside of the windscreen. But not long enough for her to get out of the car.

Here's an example of what that Y lead looks like. Any decently stocked pet supply place should have them.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=5376

The universal chain links should be available at any hardware store, building supply store, or fleet store.

Here's a pic of what the harness looks like. The rings at the shoulders are where the extra links go.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16778...

Harnesses like these should be available at any place that sells dog supplies. I also got an extra snap to hold the harness together at the place where the leash would normally attach. That way, even if the plastic "Fastex" type buckle comes undone, the harness can't come apart and let the dog out. Belt and suspenders, but it makes sure that the four legged passenger stays put.
shortcut
Posted 6/6/2007 10:47 PM (#25957 - in reply to #24351)

dogs belong in kennels not in sidecars. get a wife or girlfriend.
Reardan Tom
Posted 6/7/2007 6:56 AM (#25962 - in reply to #25957)

Originally written by shortcut on 6/6/2007 8:47 PM

My wife of 37 years rode with me for a whole lot of those years. When she decided she wanted to give it up, I bought the first rig to see if she'd like riding that way. She didn't but I did and Archie did. I suppose I could have got a girlfriend but I kind of want to do another 37 or so years with my wife... (lol)

Edited by Reardan Tom 6/7/2007 12:57 PM
shortcut
Posted 6/7/2007 9:49 AM (#25966 - in reply to #24351)

in case you haven't noticed- i'm the resident "cynic" here. some people don't even reply to my harsh comments. nice people here. Archie is fine. a lot better looking than some wives and girlfriends and probably doesn't eat as much. have fun.
Reardan Tom
Posted 6/7/2007 12:56 PM (#25972 - in reply to #25966)

Well, he never complains about where we go, when we go, how fast we're going, what lane I'm in, how far we've ridden since the last potty stop, etc, etc, etc... Not that Barb ever did either... One more addition to your wife or girlfriend comment- or get Grandkids!!
Peter Pan
Posted 6/8/2007 9:28 AM (#26001 - in reply to #24351)

This week I heared the comment,
that if the lady would have known that grand kids would be so much fun.
She would have had them first.

I had a try this week with our Irish setter/golden retriever breed.
She sat in the sidecar still for 3 minutes, kept still on the flat pavement, but jumped our on the slope to the road, nearly in front of a passing car...
and there was no way to call her back until she got home on her own feet...

Enjoy your day.
Its the first of the rest of your life.
You apreciate it much more when you live allready extra time.

Sven Peter Pan
AL-58
Posted 6/9/2007 9:21 AM (#26035 - in reply to #24351)

I've got a clip-on cover for my sidecar with a waterproof top and mesh sides so they can see and get air

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/AL-58/Bikes/IMG_0090.jpg

And here are the passengers Chilli and Deety
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/AL-58/Bikes/IMG_0092.jpg

I need to make clear plastic screens that velcro onto the inside of the cover before I clip it on, then it will be good for all seasons.

Al

Edited by AL-58 6/9/2007 9:23 AM
AL-58
Posted 6/9/2007 11:01 PM (#26064 - in reply to #24382)

Unfortunately the Doggles do not my dogs head very well, too much turbulence due to the gaps. She's always go a screen to sit behind.

Al
Huey
Posted 6/11/2007 12:28 PM (#26108 - in reply to #26035)

Who made up your screens for you? Did you make them yourself? I was looking at fabricating some pvc pipe that just curved and dropped down onto the hack in a cage-like manner. It would have screens on it, but I like your design a bit better. Any info on it?
Thanks,
Huey
AL-58
Posted 6/12/2007 7:28 AM (#26140 - in reply to #24351)

Made it myself. I am a qualified Motor Trimmer (US lingo= Auto Upholsterer), I just don't do it as a job these days. Basically I made it from one piece of heavy Fly mesh material(as used on camper trailers) and sewed a waterproof panel on the top, then reinforced all the edges for press-studs. It wasn't a difficult job, show the pics to an Upholsterer on your side and see if you can get a similar thing made.

Al
Bueller
Posted 6/12/2007 10:07 AM (#26145 - in reply to #25957)

Originally written by shortcut on 6/6/2007 10:47 PM

I sure hope you don't have a dog. Whether or not they belong in a sidecar is perhaps a debatable issue, but you won't find my dogs at a kennel.

http://www.greenapple.com/~buck1/Old%20Man's%20Cave%20032507/IMG_31...

http://www.greenapple.com/~buck1/Old%20Man's%20Cave%20032507/IMG_31...

Edited by Bueller 6/12/2007 10:12 AM
RichardMc4
Posted 6/12/2007 12:16 PM (#26149 - in reply to #24351)

Well I have been trying to stay out of this one. I lost my buddy Baxter about two months ago. I was not going to be able to bring him to the Nat Rally this year because of where I am staying but there is a nice lady who would come by here and take care of him. Talking about kennels you should have seen my last girlfriend. Lol. I am joking. I have just started looking at dogs and it is a trip when I ask the people at these places if their dog would like to do the riding thing. He he. I am going to stop doing that as most dogs love it.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/Richardmc4/Baxter-2.jpg

Huey
Posted 6/12/2007 5:32 PM (#26163 - in reply to #24351)

I guess I didn't understand your meaning in comparing dog lovers to save the whale folks. Probably an inside joke or something that sailed right over my head. Maybe I just misread something from what you wanted to communicate. I guess I missed the analagy.

When you stated previously that many folks didn't respond to your harsh comments, did you ever give it any thought that perhaps there was a valid reason? After all, there is generally nothing gained by having a tit for tat with someone who only posting to inflame and not to present another valid view. No wonder many choose to not respond to your comments. Perhaps they are simply telling you something that isn't quite registering for you yet.
Huey

Edited by Huey 6/12/2007 8:33 PM
Huey
Posted 6/12/2007 5:35 PM (#26164 - in reply to #26140)

Thanks for the info you provided to me off-line regarding this mod. I have already done some measurements and given some thoughts as to modifying it a bit more for my own rig.
I appreciate the info.
Huey
ditch
Posted 6/12/2007 11:47 PM (#26190 - in reply to #25957)

Dogs are better to ride with than wives or girlfriends because:

Their butt never gets sore.

They don't get cold.

They dont have to pee 5 mins. after leaving the pub.

They never ask: :"where are we?"

They never ask: "where are we going?"

They never ask: "when are we going home?"

They don't get helmut hair.

and most importantly....they don't get mad when other girls talk to you!
Kural
Posted 6/13/2007 12:07 AM (#26195 - in reply to #24351)

AL-58,

That is a really slick set up you have there!!! Love it!

Crozb wears a harness, and we have a leash bolted under the bend of the seat. He can sit, lay, or his favorite- puts one paw on the step board, leans his face into the wind, all while lounging ; )

But it would be so nice for him to have a 'roof' like the one you have. Very very nice! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
AL-58
Posted 6/16/2007 9:00 PM (#26287 - in reply to #26164)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f182/AL-58/Bikes/deety.jpg

This picture might help to show the attachment of the cover to the sidecar better. It also shows a very happy Dog.

Al
kayakinbiker
Posted 3/13/2011 2:24 PM (#56623 - in reply to #26190)

My lil dog does get cold and she does get helmet hair! HAHA!! She has a Rod Stewart haircut....
moonlite
Posted 3/14/2011 11:47 AM (#56641 - in reply to #24351)

50,000 miles in my hack and still counting

(Screensaverpicture.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screensaverpicture.jpg (22KB - 38 downloads)
kayakinbiker
Posted 3/14/2011 1:31 PM (#56644 - in reply to #56641)

moonlite - 3/14/2011 11:47 AM

I see you have a HONDA too! Red IS the best colour! Is the a Shepherd? My lil dog is a dorkie...the joke is, what other dog would I own? HAHA!! Nice sidecar! Is that what one calls a HACK? Sorry, i am a newbie but hear that term alot...
moonlite
Posted 3/15/2011 11:37 AM (#56667 - in reply to #56644)

kayakinbiker - 3/14/2011 1:31 PM

moonlite - 3/14/2011 11:47 AM

I see you have a HONDA too! Red IS the best colour! Is the a Shepherd? My lil dog is a dorkie...the joke is, what other dog would I own? HAHA!! Nice sidecar! Is that what one calls a HACK? Sorry, i am a newbie but hear that term alot...

in my world everything is a hack , my hi-tech german burglar alarm is a GSD, a DDR-GSD to be exact, imported from germany at 8 weeks, he is now seven and has been a hack dog since he was 10 weeks old, been to 47 states and most all canadian provinces. thanks for asking, here's a better pic of him

Edited by moonlite 3/15/2011 11:39 AM

(tongue out.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tongue out.jpg (117KB - 26 downloads)
kayakinbiker
Posted 3/15/2011 12:06 PM (#56668 - in reply to #56667)

Nice dog! A bit big for me at this point.. I selected this type of dog as they are non-shedding.. got tired of picking up whole dogs in the vaccum all these years! HAHA!! I can pick her up and she does not eat more than me every day..saves on space to take food on a trip too! My trip out west this summer will be the longest me and her have done and her 1st trip on a bike! She is used to camping, riding shorter distances and loves doing anything with me..would NOT hear of leaving her here or kenneling her!

Check out more of our pix on my picasa page..fixed the link..there is a very cute pic of her in my kayak taken in her 1st summer there..
Phelonius
Posted 3/20/2011 9:38 AM (#56748 - in reply to #25957)

shortcut - 6/6/2007 7:47 PM

And be sure she wears doggles.

Phelonius
kayakinbiker
Posted 3/20/2011 10:24 AM (#56752 - in reply to #56748)

Who should wear doggles? The wife or the dog? HAHA!!!!!
Phelonius
Posted 3/20/2011 10:34 PM (#56791 - in reply to #56752)

kayakinbiker - 3/20/2011 7:24 AM

Who should wear doggles? The wife or the dog? HAHA!!!!!

The Monkey.

Phelonius

Edited by Phelonius 3/20/2011 10:35 PM
DocWobblin
Posted 3/26/2011 9:17 PM (#56960 - in reply to #24351)
Subject: Re: Dog Riding Partners

Just finished 3pt. harnesses to my 2+2 and Bandit...Took Harley Girl(sheltie) for her first ride around the block...she was fine, wife thinks she'll jump out and/or die...probably wasted the 3 pt harness in wife's rig, figured we have 3 shelties, need the hacks to carry them too. Anyone have the problem that S.O. feels it's too dangerous for the dogs but not for me or her?..how did you solve it?
Phelonius
Posted 4/6/2011 8:20 PM (#57152 - in reply to #24351)

Phelonius
Pat Huey
Posted 4/13/2011 4:12 AM (#57285 - in reply to #24351)

I think you can see by the pics that my dogs just don't jump out. They will stay in place forever, as I do maintenance as washing the sidecar. The vest-style harnesses they now wear were purchased at PetCo, but PetSmart had them too. I even found similar ones at Wally World, for about $15 bucks. Just got to be careful in sizing them for your dog. My Bichol wears the small one and my wirehair Jack Russle uses the medium one.

Ural sidecar Troyka motorcycle
Ural sidecar Troyka motorcycle
Ural Troyka motorcycle sidecar
Motorcycle sidecar Troyka Ural
Ural sidecar Troyka motorcycle hackpup
kayakinbiker
Posted 4/13/2011 6:45 AM (#57286 - in reply to #56960)

DocWobblin - 3/26/2011 9:17 PM

Just finished 3pt. harnesses to my 2+2 and Bandit...Took Harley Girl(sheltie) for her first ride around the block...she was fine, wife thinks she'll jump out and/or die...probably wasted the 3 pt harness in wife's rig, figured we have 3 shelties, need the hacks to carry them too. Anyone have the problem that S.O. feels it's too dangerous for the dogs but not for me or her?..how did you solve it?[/QUOTE

That's interesting you should say that! HAHA!! A few of my friends are opposed to having Georgia ride on my bike or on any bike for that matter......one was VERY opposed to it!! I asked her if she thought it was dangerous for her to ride a bike and she kinda thought about it for a minute..we all know what she was thinking...then she adds to her comment that if anything happens and my lil dog gets hurt or killed what would I be thinking? I then asked her if she ever thinks about what would happen if SHE were hurt or killed in an accident...we kinda went on for a bit and then I closed it by saying something like..."Do you worry THIS much every time you ride, that YOU will be killed?" We all try to be ever watchful of our riding, surroundings,etc when we ride/drive/walk on roads, but to be THAT scared of death...well, one maybe should curl up in a ball and forget riding....

I was even told by a friend that if I ever wanted Georgia to stay behind while on a trip, she would watch her and that I didn't HAVE to take her with me....
some peeps just don't get it...she is family to me..I didn't have kids and she is all I have familywise for the most part..BTW do ya think I won't take as much care for her safety as I would for mine?...okay rant done!....HAHA!!
SIDECARSRULE
Posted 4/23/2011 11:01 AM (#57474 - in reply to #24351)

You can go to a pet store and buy a seatbelt safty harness for your dog...It only gives them enought room to move approx 6 inchs so they can change positions.This also keeps them from jumping out...I had to put a seat belt strap around the top 6 inchs of my seat so I could hook up the harness..Give it a try.....
kayakinbiker
Posted 4/23/2011 2:34 PM (#57478 - in reply to #57474)

SIDECARSRULE - 4/23/2011 11:01 AM

You can go to a pet store and buy a seatbelt safty harness for your dog...It only gives them enought room to move approx 6 inchs so they can change positions.This also keeps them from jumping out...I had to put a seat belt strap around the top 6 inchs of my seat so I could hook up the harness..Give it a try.....

Thanx! I don't have a sidecar YET but I am a WANNABE! HAHA!!............Georgia goes everywhere with me and LOVES everything we do! I know she will be a cute lil buddy and stoplight smilin dog!!
SIDECARSRULE
Posted 4/23/2011 2:56 PM (#57479 - in reply to #24351)

You can use the harness for a motorcycle..The dog will ride on the pillon pad or front and is attached to you, Cant fall off...My dog goes everywhere with me tucked inside my shirt...Cant start the bike with out him jumping on board......Have fun and enjoy your dog, They dont belong in kennels
kayakinbiker
Posted 4/24/2011 8:43 AM (#57502 - in reply to #57479)

SIDECARSRULE - 4/23/2011 2:56 PM

You can use the harness for a motorcycle..The dog will ride on the pillon pad or front and is attached to you, Cant fall off...My dog goes everywhere with me tucked inside my shirt...Cant start the bike with out him jumping on board......Have fun and enjoy your dog, They dont belong in kennels

I never thought to use a harness on the pillion with her carrier as there are internal ones in the tbag carrier..for that matter I never thought to just use a harness on the pillion pad without a carrier...can you post a pic of your dog harnessed on the pillion? Curious what it looks like..

I started her with baby steps via kayaking, then riding in a mountain bike basket in front of me...I gave her too much slack 1 day while riding and found out 1st hand what can and did happen when she went out of that basket! We were lucky she didn't get wrapped into the spokes and cause an accident where we both could have been hurt..then I started her in her cat crate...if and when I ever do get back riding this season, she will be in her Tbag carrier which has more room...
SIDECARSRULE
Posted 4/25/2011 9:35 AM (#57517 - in reply to #24351)

Surw will send pix...On a nice sunny say I will take them , If we ever have sunny days..I am in Wisconsin and got to ride one day...
kayakinbiker
Posted 4/25/2011 9:39 AM (#57518 - in reply to #57517)

SIDECARSRULE - 4/25/2011 9:35 AM

Surw will send pix...On a nice sunny say I will take them , If we ever have sunny days..I am in Wisconsin and got to ride one day...

Huh! We are in a rain mode right now, besides, I am not riding at all while i wait for my MRI on my gear foot to see if I need surgery...POUT!!..

Edited by kayakinbiker 4/25/2011 9:40 AM
SIDECARSRULE
Posted 4/25/2011 9:45 AM (#57519 - in reply to #24351)

Thats a drag but your bike will always be waiting..Good Luck with your foot.If you get board just email everybody on the forum, We'll keep you hopping
SidecarMike
Posted 4/25/2011 9:52 AM (#57520 - in reply to #57517)

SIDECARSRULE - 4/25/2011 8:35 AM Surw will send pix...On a nice sunny say I will take them , If we ever have sunny days..I am in Wisconsin and got to ride one day...

Jody!  How are you?  My daughter and I used to visit you at the shop in Jefferson.  I had my Valkyrie/Ural at the time.  Do you still sell and install sidecars down in Jefferson?

kayakinbiker
Posted 4/25/2011 9:53 AM (#57521 - in reply to #57519)

SIDECARSRULE - 4/25/2011 9:45 AM

Thats a drag but your bike will always be waiting..Good Luck with your foot.If you get board just email everybody on the forum, We'll keep you hopping

HAHAHAHA!! I go to a few forums actually and yep y'all keep me hopping! I go to the Aero 750 forum, paddling.net,this place, motocampers.com forum, FB, curd(new), and bikersornot.com a goofy dating site...that 1 is really strange.. i get an occasional email from a (any)man that has seen my profile, likes what he sees, then sends me this broken english message that smecks of junk mail..do all peeps type like they are just learning our language or something? HAHA!! Sorry, somebody has to say it!........................
Reardan Tom
Posted 4/25/2011 10:28 AM (#57522 - in reply to #24351)

Last Friday Henry and I rode the five miles into town to get the mail as a first run of the year. I wanted to see if he remembered what he'd learned last fall. He did. He did very well well, kept the Doggles on and behaved very well. Saturday we took off on what was going to be a much longer ride. As we sat at the stop sign at the end of our road, a van went by and they waved. A little ways up the road, they were pulled over with camera in hand. We stopped and visited a short while. Then on into town, linked up with a friend and we were off. But Henry wouldn't settle down and behave. A few miles further I realized things would go down hill fast when we got into heavy traffic. I pulled over and my buddy came along side. I told him I had to take Henry home because he was misbehaving. That was fine. We returned home, visited here a while, then left leaving the misbehaving pup behind.

(fun 121 [50%].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fun 121 [50%].jpg (1263KB - 10 downloads)
Reardan Tom
Posted 4/25/2011 10:34 AM (#57523 - in reply to #24351)

He looks like a goofball in the photo above because his doggles are so crooked. Even straightend he decided he didn't want to keep them on and he'd tear his bed in the sidecar up as well to convince me he didn't feel like going for a ride this time. It worked. He got to go home.
SIDECARSRULE
Posted 4/25/2011 11:06 AM (#57524 - in reply to #57520)

Hi There....I am still at my son's yamaha dealership and it's gotten so big...I have only had a couple of people want sidecars and my husband is the one who puts them on..We still have a lot to learn about sidecars....How are you doing , It's been a long time , Still riding? Just set up a 562 velorex on my roadstar and found out the car is to light..Rig runs great but am upgrading the frame & wheel thru north west sidecars, met them here on the forum...Great help thanks to Lonnie.... Keep in touch with me
Hack'n
Posted 4/25/2011 11:23 AM (#57525 - in reply to #24351)

Looks like he's "Grewsome" since you've had him. I don't see your local Smokey in the pic, where's he hiding this time? lol
I caught too many yellow jackets with the 4" wind "Deflector" and switched to an 8"windshield.
Are you heading for the Chelan Rally this year?

Lonnie
Reardan Tom
Posted 4/25/2011 12:14 PM (#57526 - in reply to #24351)

They're out in force this morning Lonnie. Hearing him and a reserve on the scanner doing the speed trap thing while the school zone light flashes. Yeah, that one doesn't "deflect" the wind hits me mid chest. I plan on driving up Saturday in the car unless Henry comes a long way in a month's time as far as riding in the sidecar. I'll visit with everyone and return home that evening. We'll be at the John Day rally though. Plan on trailering to that one, once again because of Henry. I don't think he'll be up for a trip like that in the sidecar. He'll get there but has to grow up in more ways than just adding pounds and muscle. You're right, he grew some over the winter... Oh yeah, the photo was taken closer to our place than the city limits. The speed trap is within those boundaries. Except for Lincoln Co's finest. They're out there too! Welcome to Lincoln Co!! Although last Labor Day I was riding with the HOG group east of Lewiston, ID. We left a gas stop, pulled up to a stop sign as a group, pulled away as a group. I was second from the rear. An ISP came around the back guy and pulled me over. $75 for failing to stop at the stop sign. Nez Pierce Co. Oh well....
Hack'n
Posted 4/25/2011 12:46 PM (#57527 - in reply to #24351)

Give me your phone #. If I'm able to make the Rally I'll be going through Wilbur and Reardon is on the way. I'll be watching the speedo on Washington byways.

Lonnie
kayakinbiker
Posted 4/25/2011 2:37 PM (#57528 - in reply to #57526)

Reardan Tom - 4/25/2011 12:14 PM

They're out in force this morning Lonnie. Hearing him and a reserve on the scanner doing the speed trap thing while the school zone light flashes. Yeah, that one doesn't "deflect" the wind hits me mid chest. I plan on driving up Saturday in the car unless Henry comes a long way in a month's time as far as riding in the sidecar. I'll visit with everyone and return home that evening. We'll be at the John Day rally though. Plan on trailering to that one, once again because of Henry. I don't think he'll be up for a trip like that in the sidecar. He'll get there but has to grow up in more ways than just adding pounds and muscle. You're right, he grew some over the winter... Oh yeah, the photo was taken closer to our place than the city limits. The speed trap is within those boundaries. Except for Lincoln Co's finest. They're out there too! Welcome to Lincoln Co!! Although last Labor Day I was riding with the HOG group east of Lewiston, ID. We left a gas stop, pulled up to a stop sign as a group, pulled away as a group. I was second from the rear. An ISP came around the back guy and pulled me over. $75 for failing to stop at the stop sign. Nez Pierce Co. Oh well....

I am a bus driver, normally.....yaya...most think I'm NOT normal..HEEHEE!! Sooo, I try to ride/drive the speed limit. I prefer to ride solo alot for the very reason that you had that prob in the group...they either ride too fast or make sloppy stops and the police can be anywhere out there, just hoping to get their quota of tix....getting a sidecar would be perfect for me and Georgia! I drive..she rides sidecar....then there's that known prob when ya ride at the end, where the crack the whip thing occurs...the last bikes always have to ride faster to stay caught up to the front bikes...

When I was riding with a bunch of Aero riders in Wisconsin I decided to NOT play catchemup and stood my ground and just did the speed limit.. I wound up maintaining distance for a car to pass if they were p\od enough to NEED to get around us. split the group in half and led the group over hill and dale...after we finished 1 of the guys complimented me on my riding abilities..it was nice of him but being new to the group and a WOMAN, I wondered if he would have complimented a man just the same...hmmmm...
Hack'n
Posted 4/25/2011 3:44 PM (#57529 - in reply to #24351)

Our very small group (four or less) has just one rule if split up we will meet at the 1st Saloon on the right side in the next town. It's worked well for the last few decades. Oh, yeah, and we stay under .08 at least till the days riding is done. After that, to each his/her own. Hard to believe when some of our group are Canucks, Eh?

Lonnie
c64club
Posted 7/6/2011 4:31 AM (#58870 - in reply to #24351)

I think that Delma will enjoy long sidecar riding. Mopeds and motorcycles are only vechicles she tolerates and in sunny days she hides from sunbeam under my or my friends' parked bikes in my backyard. Delma also enjoyed being transported to vet in standatd two-wheeled trailer.

But as each german shepherd she has errected ears. And even with windshield and roof there are air whirls inside the sidecar. I don't want her to get ears inflamation. Is there any way to protect her from such aliment? I dont think if she could like earplugs or other "patents" in/on her ears and I don't want to torture her in such way.
Pat Huey
Posted 7/25/2011 9:49 PM (#59218 - in reply to #24351)

http://www.strangenewproducts.com/2006/03/ear-protection-for-flying...
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=28063
http://www.oasisoriginals.net/petgear.html
http://www.twomuttsandabear.com/muttmuffs.htm
http://www.cherrybrook.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/3/2/bHappy-Hoodie--A...
http://www.akatombo.com/en/merchandise/
http://www.pilotmall.com/product/Mutt-Muffs-Hearing-Protection-for-...

7th pic down at this site could be a DIY set up for ya'.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/caught/baddog/caught18.htm

Mutt Muffs seems to be the most common hearing protectors, other than a helmet with flaps. Lots of options out there, it appears. These were just a few. Good luck with finding what you want. A nitted muffler that pulls up could work in cooler weather.

Edited by Pat Huey 7/25/2011 9:50 PM
onahog
Posted 8/15/2011 7:18 PM (#59721 - in reply to #24351)

My dog Lobo loves the car...
i use a choke chain on her with a leash bolted to the floor....She can just catch the edge of the car..
kayakinbiker
Posted 8/16/2011 5:10 AM (#59738 - in reply to #24351)

Hey Onahog! I am from Winnipeg originally... where are you in Manitoba?
kayakinbiker
Posted 8/16/2011 5:18 AM (#59739 - in reply to #24351)

Georgia has come full circle! We went on our 1st DOG bikecamping trip recently..WOOHOO!! She did great!
SwampFox
Posted 8/16/2011 7:39 AM (#59744 - in reply to #59739)

kayakinbiker - 8/16/2011 5:18 AM

Georgia has come full circle! We went on our 1st DOG bikecamping trip recently..WOOHOO!! She did great!

I saw some very good photographs following the link in your other post, but I didn't see a dog???
kayakinbiker
Posted 8/16/2011 8:00 AM (#59747 - in reply to #59744)

Goofy story as to why... I thought about it after I posted my pix and wondered the same thing! HAHA!! I took a FULL memory card with me on this lil trip and every time I wanted to take a pic, I had to pick and choose what to delete so I could make room to take any pix! Doh!! I will try to take a pic on sunday when I do the humane society ride.. this is what happens when ya don't post your pix to your page,ya have hundreds of pix ya need to post, don't wanna lose alot of them and don't bother buying a new extra card...takes me a long time to post stuff as i always add comments and adjust crops and colours.........
onahog
Posted 8/16/2011 10:17 AM (#59756 - in reply to #24351)

Im in Portage la prairie manitoba....Id post a pic but not sure how..LOL..
kayakinbiker
Posted 8/16/2011 10:27 AM (#59757 - in reply to #59756)

I have pix on my pages.. this site posting stuff baffles me.. I tried to add an avatar but it says my thingies are too big! HAHA!!!
onahog
Posted 8/16/2011 10:38 AM (#59761 - in reply to #24351)

managed a pic in my album
kayakinbiker
Posted 8/16/2011 10:43 AM (#59763 - in reply to #59761)

you're just as brain dead as alot of us here! HAHA!! You should have just posted it in the thread! HAHA!! Don't mind me.. just jiving ya..
onahog
Posted 8/16/2011 10:48 AM (#59764 - in reply to #24351)

I woulda if i could find out how...
onahog
Posted 8/16/2011 10:59 AM (#59768 - in reply to #24351)

photo??

(lobo in hack.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lobo in hack.JPG (81KB - 1 downloads)
kayakinbiker
Posted 8/16/2011 10:59 AM (#59769 - in reply to #59764)

instructions just are not clear enough for us braindead puter peeps..i have a pic on motocampers.com and my FB but can't seem to change it on my aero forum or add 1 here..if i did it alot maybe i would get used to it but i don't feel the need to.. it's enough that i have to post pix on my pages......
kayakinbiker
Posted 8/16/2011 11:08 AM (#59772 - in reply to #59768)

There ya go! Cute dogs! Do both of them go with you? Georgia has her own helmet and doggles too! But she needs training to keep them on.. she rides in a Tbag carrier right now..
sparrowhawkdesign
Posted 12/6/2011 4:38 PM (#61882 - in reply to #24351)

My first dog that rode with me in the sidecar was a German Shepherd. I could pull into rest stops and throw a tarp and sleeping bag down and have a snooze without ever being bothered. LOL She would stay in the sidecar untied until I told her to get out. It took a friend that new her some time to convince her to get out and as soon as she saw me she ran back and jumped into the sidecar again. Since then I have had two miniature Dachshunds that had to stand on top of the blankets no matter how cold it got and my present Border Collie cross that was two days away from the SPCA as her owner was being deployed and couldn't find her a home. All of them have learned to keep their heads behind the windshield. It did take putting Doggles on the Border Collie until she learned that if she stayed behind the windshield she could ride without them.
All of them were secured to a ring in the floor until they learned to stay in the sidecar until told to get out. Now we only use the lead to tie her in when I am out of sight of the sidecar such as at a gas station and it has to be chain because she can chew through anything else faster than I can reach to door of the building. I choose not to tie them when driving. I don't want to be tied to the bike in an accident if one happens and I don't want her to be either. I do remove the seat from the sidecar and place a mat on the floor to give her a place to stretch out and also to sit her deeper in the sidecar which makes her more secure. She will choose the sidecar over the truck every time despite the fact I have removed the passenger seat and replaced it with a bed for her. B

(IMGP0053.JPG)

(IMGP0126.JPG)

(IMGP0029.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP0053.JPG (985KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments IMGP0126.JPG (943KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments IMGP0029.JPG (867KB - 1 downloads)
Reardan Tom
Posted 12/7/2011 2:56 PM (#61895 - in reply to #24351)

Archie was a member of Biker Dogs (http://www.dogsonbikes.com/) but I haven't signed Henry up yet. Once he gets things down pat, I'll sign him up too. If you haven't already, check it out.
kayakinbiker
Posted 12/8/2011 6:22 AM (#61901 - in reply to #61882)

Nice pix! Thanx! Still no sidecar and still thinking about it...i think I like the Motorvation Spyder for my Aero...not driving a car anymore so maybe this will egg me on to do more OT at work, pay some bills down and get going on the sidecar thing...
kayakinbiker
Posted 12/8/2011 7:16 AM (#61906 - in reply to #61901)

Here is a pic of lil G, Georgia with 1 of her pair of doggles...

(P1011344.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1011344.JPG (999KB - 2 downloads)
SIDECARSRULE
Posted 7/6/2012 12:23 PM (#65615 - in reply to #24351)

I have a convertable top for my sidecar..I replaces the leather with heavy net and it fits right on and my chihuahua cant jump out and has the run of the sidecar...
kayakinbiker
Posted 7/7/2012 9:58 AM (#65632 - in reply to #24351)

Woody, my newest dog, will be starting to ride soon as his bime carrier is being delivered monday.. he has to be travel-ready for august so lots of riding has to be done!
azharleydude
Posted 10/9/2014 11:45 PM (#80601 - in reply to #24351)

My dog, Dexter just took his first extended ride today. He did great and I look forward to extending his riding hopefully to include a weekend camping trip in the next couple of weeks.

(DSCF0312.JPG)

(DSCF0312.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0312.JPG (2111KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments DSCF0312.JPG (2111KB - 0 downloads)
jays3hds
Posted 4/3/2015 11:11 AM (#83744 - in reply to #24351)

In honor of my pup Jax, 5th birthday today.