Ural Motorcycles
ersatz
Posted 1/22/2004 1:03 AM (#2051)
Subject: Ural Motorcycles

Need Help! I am interested in buying a Ural ~ Troyka motorcycle with sidecar. I prefer the classic sidecar look. Would like to hear from all Ural owners regarding their experiences with their Ural bikes. Is the Ural a good choice? Does anyone know anything about the Vintage Street Machines company offering replicas with sidecars? Any & all help would be appreciated. Thanks, TED
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JOECAPY
Posted 2/14/2004 2:21 PM (#2315 - in reply to #2051)
Subject: RE: Ural Motorcycles

TED, IF YOUR NOT IN A HURRY TO GET ANY WHERE AND KNOW HOW TO REPAIR LAWN MOWERS THEN YOU WILL LOVE IT. I OWNED ONE A FEW YEARS AGO IT WAS A GAS AROUND TOWN BUT FORGET THE HIGHWAY, TOP END WAS ABOUT 55 WITH SHAKES.THEY ARE HEAD TURNERS AND BE PREPARED TO ANSWER TONS OF QUESTIONS, LIKE DID YOU RESTORE IT? ,WHAT YEAR IS IT? OR WHAT IS IT? IT USES 1939 TEC. GOOD LUCK WHAT EVER YOU CHOOSE. JOE CAPP
Jimbosidecar
Posted 2/17/2004 3:07 AM (#2336 - in reply to #2051)
Subject: RE: sidecar wanted

Regular

Hi Ted,
Take a look at www.changjiangunlimited.com
The bikes are made in China, no U.S. dealer network, same problems about top speed (unless you retro-fit a BMW motor) but I think they look even better than the Russian ones.
Regds,
Jim
Hack'n
Posted 2/17/2004 3:54 PM (#2342 - in reply to #2051)

Expert

If you like the retro look and really want a nice roadworthy outfit that will handle the superslab without mechanical problems while giving great performance and an excellent ride, try setting up an early '80s to middle '80s Japanese cruiser with about 1,100ccs. The Yamaha Maxims or Honda V65s are good candidates. Ad a URAL U-2 or CMC BC steel sidecar (I prefer these due to the superior coil over shock trailing link suspension, sponge filled upholstery and excellent paint finish and detailing). If you are interested in price alone, then the Russian Dnepr, or an Indian or Chinese clone will do the trick. They look quite similar at first glance but need a little tweaking to look nearly as good. Some use quarter or semi-elliptic leaf springing, which doesn't handle rough roads efficiently like the more modern coil over shock suspension does.
The earlier Japanese bikes have a lot of features that are desirable for a sidecar hauler. Most have excellent front suspension with anti-dive features and air assist, shaft drive for smooth power transfer, many have water cooled engines which are handy in hot climates and rush hour traffic, a lot of low end torque and tractable horsepower to spare, easy parts availability, and last but not least they are quite affordable.
Most of the earlier models had a distinct classic British styling which also adds to the retro mystique.

Edited by Hack'n 2/17/2004 4:02 PM
Bob Stock
Posted 2/21/2004 9:51 AM (#2398 - in reply to #2051)

You might be interested in this web site. http://sidetour.free.fr/e_index.php This is about a couple who are taking a around-the-world tour on a Ural. The site is French but has an English translation and a lot of photos.