Newbie from Idaho

Posted 2/17/2004 8:07 PM (#2344)
Subject: Newbie from Idaho

My wife and I are really interested in sidecaring. Our problem, it's Boise! We just got a ural dealer hear and we are turned on by the price but....a 750? We have mountains to pull. Reliability?....I can't change a light bulb!....air cooled? it will be my daily driver at rush hour in 100 degree temps.... The salesman new even less than I did about the bike! We like to camp and want to be able to take our rig off on gravel and bumpy roads to explore. Is the Ural right for us? I don't know! and I don't know how to begin to figure that out. I thought it was until I read up on them and the 55 mph thing/reliability and lack of power have me worried. I am 230 lbs, my wife 160....I doubt that a 750 will pull us up the mountain at 55.

We can't afford a Harley, don't want anything as big as a goldwing. I walk into the local dealers for yamaha/honda/kawasaki etc and get a blank stare when I try to discuss sidecars. What is a guy supposed to do? I want a new, off the shelf with warranty bike pre assembled with the car so I don't have to think about it. If that is not possible, how do I find someone to help me put two and two together the right way.

Idaho doesn't have ANYTHING or anywhere to turn as far as I can tell. PLEASE, ANY ADVICE? What about a sidecar on a Moto Guzzi California? I like that bike but...don't know enough to even think about it at this point. HELP!! I WANT TO JOIN YOUR RANKS THIS SPRING!

thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2/17/2004 8:33 PM (#2346 - in reply to #2344)
Subject: RE: Newbie from Idaho

Hello, i have a Moto Guzzi Cal II with a sidecar I installed myself. There is a lot of good info available on installing one. If you are going all new you may want to have a reputable sidecar dealer do the install. I also considered the Ural, I think they are pretty cool but I thought it would be underpowered for what I wanted to do. As for Moto Guzzi's I have 3 of them and I love them they are plenty strong (frame) and plenty powerful enough to pull the sidecar. If you decide on the bike you want you can discuss the sidecar choice and install with the dealer/installer. I would also like to say I considered it for about 5 yrs and I can say I shouldn't have waited. I LOVE IT. Also the folks here are very knowledgeable and helpful. Good Luck.

Posted 2/17/2004 9:35 PM (#2347 - in reply to #2344)

Thanks, I love the Motoguzzi and was originally going to get one of those until the Ural got me to thinking about sidecars. A sidecar outfit is the best fit for our family and our need for "personality". What sidecar would you recommend for a guzzi? Ideas on price?

Another newbie question. The Ural dealer said that Ural was specifically set up to handle a sidecar with a leading link front end (? I think that is what he called it, I forget now). Is it necessary to modify the front end of bikes for sidecar ops and if not, what is the benefit of doing so. I like the idea of being able to disconnect the car and ride solo when the mood hits but I am also concerned about safety and handling since I kinda like my wife all in one piece! I'm jacked to know that Guzzi's can handle it.

Edited by lilrhino 2/18/2004 1:04 PM
SidecarMike
Posted 2/17/2004 9:50 PM (#2348 - in reply to #2347)

Expert

If you click on the ad at the top of the page, Jay has mounts to fit just about anything to your Moto. He and Hack'n are both in Washington State. That's just a nice Saturday ride from Boise. I'm partial to the lines of the Ural and Dnepr sidecars, especially on a cruiser like yours, but you might want to go to www.sidecar.com/Hal.htm and browse the sidecar catalog or check out the Albums and find something that appeals to you. Ideally you'll want something that weighs about 1/3 that of the Guzzi.
Hack'n
Posted 2/18/2004 1:56 PM (#2350 - in reply to #2347)

Expert

lilrhino,
Ever eat a RhinoBurger at Norms Inn on the Eagle Hiway? My wife Judy and I used to be Idahoans. We used to watch movies at the Meridian Drive In from the dining room window on Locust Grove Lane, before the massive residential buildup took over all of the farms. We couldn't get access to many parts or services around Boise without calling Portland or Seattle. So we moved over here to set up shop. Our sidecar shop is ten easy hours from you and we have installed URAL Bavarian Classic and Velorex sidecars on Guzzi Californias. We have worked with Cycle Nuts & Bolts in Boise on some Harley stuff but none of the dealers there know much about hacks.
Drop us an e-mail at nwsidecar@aol.com and we will send you an information packet on our sidecars and services.

Posted 2/18/2004 4:44 PM (#2357 - in reply to #2344)

lilrhino, There are many nice sidecars out there, it depends alot on what you plan to do, haul adults, gear whatever. I got the Velorex because it is a fiberglass body and I ride it in the winter some and did not want to rust a steel body sidecar or I would probably have a Ural, I think they are very nice. You can link alot of MFG's from this site and I encourage you to. I like my velorex and the price was very attractive, however if I was to carry an adult all the time I might consider something larger. Sounds like Hack'n has some good tips for you also. BillinPA

Posted 2/20/2004 12:25 PM (#2387 - in reply to #2357)

From what I have learned so far it appears that about anything is possible in the way of sidecars/bikes. So maybe if I go about it like this.

In the 2002 and newer category: What bikes (In the cruiser) would you NOT recommend for sidecars from each of the majors (honda,yamaha,etc...) and which would be your absolute best choice? I'm looking at the 10K range for the bike. We plan to take long rides on curvy roads, some freeway and alot of around town and local with our two daughters aged 7 and 10. I weigh 230 and wife is 160. This seems so complicated becasue I don't have a local sidecar place so again, I appreciate all your advice and help.I wish I could just go to the "store" and buy one ya know!

Hack'n
Posted 2/20/2004 2:09 PM (#2389 - in reply to #2344)

Expert

Which is the best? That's like trying to pick a wife for someone. Almost all of the late large displacement Cruisers are sidecar compatible. Some may need a sub-frame while others may only need some minor bracketry for a sidecar installation. For easy mounting, conventional double loop framed bikes are best suited. The less plastic or fairings to work around, the easier the installation. Water cooled engines are nice in your area in the summer or in rush hour traffic. Four people, go big on displacement. a three disc brake system on the bike is another plus. Pick your personal favorite, then seek input on plusses or drawbacks that may be encountered.
As far as the hack goes: A Motorvation Formula II would fit nicely for your projected passenger load. There are several other two passenger sidecars available but this one is compact with easy entry and exit. There are several wheel/fender options to suit your bike and it can also be accessorized to suit your needs, later, if you wish. This model is also competitivly priced with many single passenger cars.
SidecarMike
Posted 2/20/2004 3:28 PM (#2390 - in reply to #2387)

Expert

Honda discontinued the 1500cc Valkyrie in 2004, but there are still new 02 and 03 models on dealer floors. A friend just bought a new '02 for $8900. I've seen some beautiful rigs with Shadow and VTX mules.

Posted 2/20/2004 5:05 PM (#2391 - in reply to #2390)

Thank you everyone for the advice. After reading these and communicating with Dauntless and others I have decided to go out, buy or find whatever bike floats my boat then take it from there. Fair warning though, once I get the bike, I'll be back!!

Thanks for the tips.
Doug

Posted 2/26/2004 3:09 PM (#2447 - in reply to #2391)

Hi Doug, I just joined this forum today so I'm sorry if this info is after-the-fact. I live in Boise too and I'm having Jay at Dauntless Motors set up my '01 BMW F650GS with a Sputnik in March. I like the smaller bikes and can't afford another rig, plus I have mine already set up the way I like it. But in my quest for local resources I found that Big Twin (Boise BMW dealer) sells Velorex sidecars, and they are pretty lightweight. I think they are also a Moto Guzzi dealer, maybe? Might be worth checking out. Also if you call the local BMW club here in Boise there are a few sidecar enthusiasts who can give you lots of ideas. (I'm quickly becoming one myself.) Hope this helps!! --Lisa

Posted 2/27/2004 12:01 PM (#2454 - in reply to #2447)

It does help, thanks. They have Guzzi so I will talk to them. I keep going back to the Ural though because it is "easy" as it is all set up and ready to go, no thinking. I read those online books on here they have me spooked. It sounds like I can get a great deal on a bike, get a sidecar and THEN, have to put another 6 grand out in modifications to make the thing safe and functional. With the Ural, although underpowered for slab and long trips, is already set up and ready for me to plow through the Idaho mountains with.

Your from Boise, help me out with this would you?: Is a standard street bike fitted with a sidecar functional year round (I want to ride it year round, come hell or high water) and on our maintained but rough camping roads etc like I think a Ural would be. The Ural just seems to be rugged and designed to take some abuse. But it is so SLOW!

Lastly, does anyone have goods or bads about the extra drive on the Ural Patrol and Gear up? Unless I am scooting across Iraq, is it really something that is worth the extra. Assuming I go Ural and not something else.

Bye the way, Both Dauntless and Northwest have been great helps to me but nothing can beat a face to face...how about you guys come and open shop in Boise?

Edited by lilrhino 2/27/2004 12:03 PM
CYMBIDIUM6
Posted 3/15/2004 8:28 AM (#2714 - in reply to #2344)

New User

Don't know if you prefer modern or classic but Royal Enfield puts out a beautiful rig for budget minded folk. The Ural will more than handle anything you'll run across, but go with the powered sidecar wheel. I wouldn't swap my '75 Guzzi 850T3FB and Steib S250 for anything and it'll handle anything I throw at it. Making the mounts from scratch was kind of a bear though. Make sure that whatever you choose, your dealer doesn't sidestep warranties when mounting the car.
RedMenace
Posted 3/27/2004 2:34 PM (#2833 - in reply to #2344)

Elite Veteran

You could come to Hood River for the Bunny BBQ April 10th and meet some folks who put some real miles on Urals. They would give you the straight scoop on what these rigs can and can not do. For bopping around the NW and camping the Ural is hard to beat. It is also a very forgiving rig to learn to drive. Make no mistake, if you haven't driven sidecars before you will have some learning to do. They are a unique beast.
I had Dauntless rig a Sputnik to my Triumph Tiger because I wanted power good speed and good off road capability. It has worked for me, but I would hesitate to recommend this course for a novice. I started on a /2 BMW/Ural rig and have had several other rigs of that genre including Chang Jiang and Dnepr. Of the ilk, I would say the Ural is probably the best made and best supported. I have no experience with the 750 engine, but the 650 Ural is almost adequate in terms of power-the gearing is well matched. It is now speed demon, but near perfect for backroads and dirtroad excursions. Reports from owners of the new 750 have beeen most encouraging. Take a closer look at Ural before making up your mind.
If you do decide to get another marque and add a sidecar to it, I recommend Jay at Dauntless Motors. My experience with Dauntless has been consistently very good.

Edited by RedMenace 3/27/2004 2:45 PM