North by NorthWest Ride
Barb
Posted 8/17/2008 9:16 PM (#38007)
Subject: North by NorthWest Ride

Hi Guys,

The Second Annual North by NorthWest Ride will happen over the weekend of September 20 and 21. We will be riding a loop around Mt. Rainier, and have at least two outfits that are sure to be there, in addition to Brit bikes, and anyone who is interested.

It is a one-day ride on the 20th. Camping on the 19th and 20th is available, and on Sunday we will all go our separate ways.

This year our Ride is dedicated to "Washington Bob", who, while battling his own cancer, finds time and energy to entertain children at local hospitals, and organize events at senior centers. Bob won't be at our Ride this year--we are hoping for next year, but meanwhile, we hope to do him justice by having a great ride!

Interested? Questions? PM or post here, and I'll check regularly.

Thanks, Everyone!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
bsrider
Posted 8/20/2008 2:13 PM (#38090 - in reply to #38007)
Subject: RE: North by NorthWest Ride

I have a couple of questions about the ride.
Where does the ride start ?
Where does the ride end ?
Where is the camping located ?
Is it Potluck or bring your own ?
Whats the pace for the ride ?
I only ask because I ride a Ural Patrol and 50 to 55 mph is my average speed.
Buck Buchanan

Barb
Posted 8/20/2008 4:00 PM (#38092 - in reply to #38007)

Hi Buck,

Well, we've altered it a bit to make it easier: We will camp near Silver Creek, east of Castle Rock. We'll ride Hwy 12 east to Randle, and then turn south on NF25, making a loop around Mt. St. Helens, not Rainier. At Swift Reservoir We'll head west on Hwy 503 until we connect with Rt 411 going north back to Castle Rock.

Last year it was pretty much a combined potluck, with everyone bringing what they had in the way of food and drink, and sharing. I don't think that the speed of your rig would be a problem. My 1977 XS650 with the chair doesn't like anything much higher than 60, and I prefer 50 to 55 mph anyway, and with several sidecars, we can pretty much set the pace. If the regular bikes want to go faster, that's fine, and we will meet them back at the campsite.

The camp-site, by the way, will be posted as soon as I hear back from Tom Murphy from Oregon, who is scouting the route this weekend, just to be sure our memories are correct.

We plan to stop for lunch about half-way through the ride, and Tom is checking on facilities in that regard, so we should be all set. Anything else I can answer, please just post or PM.

Thanks and I hope we see you there!

bsrider
Posted 8/21/2008 3:51 AM (#38111 - in reply to #38007)

Barb , thanks for the information , I will be there unless work get's in the way.
Buck
Barb
Posted 8/24/2008 8:11 PM (#38200 - in reply to #38007)

Hi Guys,

Last Saturday, Tom rode the route, which is right around 200 miles. On Friday the 19th of September, we will be camping at the Silver Creek State Park. Saturday morning before 10:00am we will depart for the ride, and stop for lunch around half-way through, which will also be a gas stop.

I've seen pictures of the campground and it is beautiful--and Tom says the route is really nice, with good roads and a wonderful view. After the ride, we will be camping again at Silver Creek, and leaving for home on Sunday morning.

I hope we can see some sidecars there, other than me and Floyd, who is coming all the way from Tennessee! (He's a shoe-in for the "most distant" award!) If we get a couple more sidecar bikes, we can pretty much ride as two groups--two-wheelers, lead by Tom from Portland on his 1967 Triumph Bonneville, and the three-wheelers, lead by whomever wants to lead....either way, it's going to be a great way to bid farewell to Summer, and get in shape for the Oyster Ride the following weekend!

Hope to see some of you guys there!

Barb
Posted 8/25/2008 1:34 PM (#38221 - in reply to #38007)

Hi Again,

Slight correction:

We will be camping at SEAQUEST STATE PARK.

It is 6 miles east of Castle Rock, on Hwy 504.

Exit #49 from I-5.

Tom sent me pictures of it, and it is truly beautiful. We'll be there on Friday, as planned, and camp the night. The ride is Saturday, the 20th, and will include a side-trip to check out Spirit Lake, destroyed by the eruption of the volcano, but now a beautiful spot once again.

Sunday morning I've volunteered to cook a pancake breakfast, after which we will head for home. With luck, we'll get to see a few sidecars other than Floyd's and mine, and it will be loads of fun!

Information about the campsite is available by Googling "Washington State Parks" and typing in "Seaquest".

Thanks, Everyone, and apologies for the name mix-up. (Blushing....)

Barb
Posted 8/29/2008 10:43 PM (#38373 - in reply to #38007)

Hi Folks,

Bit of news: we have an XS650 owner who has offered the use of his big shed by riders coming from Oregon or southeast Washington who might need a place to stop. He is 75 miles south of Randle, our north-east corner of the ride, so it is really convenient for southern riders.

So the good news just keeps coming!

Now, if the rain will just stop, things will be perfect!