My option on the last few days
Bob Stock
Posted 3/14/2004 8:10 PM (#2698)
Subject: My option on the last few days

Gentlemen, my two cents worth.

I am a new member of the United Sidecar Association and I have been reading the messages that have been flying back and forth the last few days. I have waded through all about what was done or not done, who did what or did not do. All the name calling, rising tempers, finger pointing and everything else one would expect to see on any unsupervised kindergarten playground when the adults have sneaked off behind the building to grab a quick smoke.

This web site at my last count has 1060 registered members and even though I have not spoken to all of them or even a few, I can only believe that the overwhelming majority of members are getting tired of the bickering. I know I am. I joined this association to find like minded people who enjoy motorcycling with or without a sidecar. I have found those whom I consider experts in the field, go out of there way to help others, and promote the sport. I did not expect to be an observer in a storm of rock throwing. People, grow up!

Now I have not been privy to anything between the Association's Board, Secretary or President. But a few things are apparent. This has been going on for some time now and it has come to a head like a ugly boil. And like a boil, it should be lanced quickly. Also some of this is caused by a lack of commutation between all parties. One thing that seems to be standing in the way is thinking that all correspondence shall move it way slowly and ponderously with great dignity and a full set of Robert's Rules of Order. What has been forgotten is that this Association is a live, real-time, dynamic, ever changing, should be exciting organization. Case in point: “...all meetings shall have eight week notice ...” good grief, the world as we know it can change in eight weeks. We may or may not like it but the world is forging ahead faster and faster. All organisms, this Association included must always live on the “abyss of chaos ”. Go too far in one direction and the organism flies apart. Too far in the other direction and it stagnates and dies. I fear for the direction I am seeing.

I would suggest the following;

Drop the eight week rule. I would expect my board members and president to meet and talk with one another, no less then every two weeks, even better would be once a week. The only way this can be done is to do it on the web. My meager dues will not support the round trip air fares required to hold face-to-face meetings so if you don't feel comfortable using a computer, get over it. The argument of “... I don't need a computer to do this ...” is bull s**t. Set up a chat room for real time meetings. Post a date and time that is the same every month, say every other Monday at 9:00 pm EST. Count to see if you have a quorm. If not, no voting that night. Use this forum if need be, we can set something up.

Next; get over yourself, if you are not enjoying what you are doing, then don't do it. Life is way too short.

Start to think and act strategically. The primary responsibility of a board is to determine policy. This requires members to see themselves as leaders, establishing a vision for the common good. From that, strategic issues will evolve. Next develop long-range goals to address the strategic issues. These goals can them be incorporated into the decision-making process to help ensure that the most important and pressing items receive attention.

To achieve all this, board members (and president) must work as a team. When you do not exhibit the qualities of good teamwork, there is no unified direction and the community suffers. Therefore, a board must speak with one voice in a mature, effective, and reliable manner.

Finally; get over it. Work out a solution as adults. If you want to waste your time in unproductive squabbles, so be it - but stop wasting mine.

I make no apologies for either the length or content of this option.

Bob Stock
Barrington, NH
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 3/15/2004 3:52 PM (#2725 - in reply to #2698)
Subject: RE: My option on the last few days

Expert

Bravo Bob!
I'm sure that no lower numbered Veteran could have said it better.
Welcome to the group (fray) and hope this Tempest in a Teapot settles down so we can move on to the fun part of hack'n.
Top of the page Bottom of the page