California helmet laws
Fogbaron
Posted 12/8/2008 6:42 PM (#40621)
Subject: California helmet laws

Does the requirement of helmets on motorcycle passengers extend to sidecar passengers, as well?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 12/9/2008 11:24 AM (#40630 - in reply to #40621)
Subject: RE: California helmet laws

Yup!

Lonnie
Concho
Posted 12/9/2008 12:22 PM (#40632 - in reply to #40621)

Originally written by Fogbaron on 12/8/2008 3:42 PM

Does the requirement of helmets on motorcycle passengers extend to sidecar passengers, as well?

See: http://www.bikersrights.com/states/california/default.html
Fogbaron
Posted 12/9/2008 1:28 PM (#40634 - in reply to #40632)

Originally written by Concho on 12/9/2008 9:22 AM

Originally written by Fogbaron on 12/8/2008 3:42 PM

See: http://www.bikersrights.com/states/california/default.html

Thanks, Concho. I actually read that before I posted, because the references are all "on" this, and "on" that; but never "in" a sidecar. And because riding in a sidecar doesn't seem (to me, anyway) much different than riding as a passenger in a sports car, I wondered if a narrow interpetation of the law would exclude the need for a helmet on a passenger.

So, let me ask this, then: How many extra helmets and what sizes do you keep on hand to accomodate random, occasional passengers?

Hack'n
Posted 12/9/2008 3:39 PM (#40635 - in reply to #40632)

Concho,
In your Album it appears that your sidecar front strut is mounted to the accessory case guard of the bike. If so that is not an approved (or safe) place to mount the sidecar. These are decorative trim pieces only and may afford a slight bit of protection if the bike falls over but they are not structurally sound members with correct fasteners for sidecar mounting. "Crash Guards" not.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars
SidecarMike
Posted 12/9/2008 4:37 PM (#40636 - in reply to #40634)

Originally written by Fogbaron on 12/9/2008 11:28 AM

So, let me ask this, then: How many extra helmets and what sizes do you keep on hand to accomodate random, occasional passengers?

I carry a single half shell, size medium. Not much protection, but it allows me to give a kid a ride around the block when the occasion arises.
Here in Wisconsin a helmet is only required of passengers under the age of 18. Most of the kids who ride with me have their own. I have grandchildren coming up for Christmas. Even if it's 30 below zero, they will each have their helmet with them. :0)

Edited by SidecarMike 12/9/2008 4:38 PM
Concho
Posted 12/9/2008 7:59 PM (#40638 - in reply to #40635)

Originally written by Hack'n on 12/9/2008 12:39 PM

Concho,
In your Album it appears that your sidecar front strut is mounted to the accessory case guard of the bike. If so that is not an approved (or safe) place to mount the sidecar. These are decorative trim pieces only and may afford a slight bit of protection if the bike falls over but they are not structurally sound members with correct fasteners for sidecar mounting. "Crash Guards" not.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Actually it's as strong, if not stronger, than a tubing subframe member. It's attached at the bottom with 2 bolts to the floorboard mounts and at the top by 2# U-bolts to the frame member. Doug Bingham. a fellow club member, who I ride with frequently, blessed the mount and it's been run hard for the last 14 months like that without incident. It might not pass everyone's muster, however it's what I did with what I had to work with. I really don't know if extending the upper front mount by welding in a piece and forming it round to clear the brake pedal would be any stronger than what I have. I watch my mounts and if there is any weakness in that area, I'll do something different. Thanks for pointing it out.
Hack'n
Posted 12/10/2008 2:25 PM (#40659 - in reply to #40621)

Concho,
If it passed Doug's muster I'm sure that you are good to go.
Many have attached to case guards that are not so well mounted and with chinese bolts and find it doesn't always work well.

Apparently you're a party to "The world's best kept secret". lol

Happy Hack'n,

Lonnie
Tomcat101147
Posted 12/15/2008 7:09 PM (#40777 - in reply to #40621)

I carry size Medium and Large helmets in both full face and 3/4 sizes but I generally ask the prospective passenger their hat size before they mount so that I'm not carrying three helmets all the time. Im Texas helmets are option under certain conditions so for a short ride the passenger may opt to leave it off. CA doesn't have that option.