Guzzi T4 sidecar

Posted 4/6/2004 6:58 PM (#3007)
Subject: Guzzi T4 sidecar

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has put a 4 mount sidecar on a Tonti framed Guzzi, as I'm just about to and I figure If I make it up as I go it might get messy.
As I'm sure you've guessed I'm new to all of this, but I have read the 130 odd page document on this site, and I'm going to be careful.
I'm in Australia so everything is upsidedown and back to front but we like it that way
Thanks in advance

Garth
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JayDauntless
Posted 4/6/2004 8:54 PM (#3009 - in reply to #3007)
Subject: RE: Guzzi T4 sidecar

We mount sidecars to Tonti frame Guzzi's all the time. We have a mounting kit that if we drill one hole slightly differently will fit a left hand mount sidecar.
We have a Convert in the shop right now that we are mounting a left hand mount sidecar to. This sidecar will be operated while the owner is seated in his wheel chair. As we are scratch building this we simply mounted the frame to four points under the bike so we did not need any upper struts.
Your upper mounts can be simple frame clamps which we make. For the lower rear we attach near the foot pegs. All you need is a plate that picks up at least 2 of the 12mm bolts. The lower front we attach just under the front engine mounting bolts. This mount is attached to both sides of the frame using a longer front engine mounting bolt and then also goes up the side of the frame and attaches with two more bolts by enlarging the two holes already in the frame.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com

Posted 4/7/2004 12:57 AM (#3011 - in reply to #3007)

Great.
So I wonder how much it will cost to get all of the bits to Australia ?
Do you need to know the sizes of the bolts on the end of the arms or perhaps they are always the same ?
They are the "ball joint" type and the sidecar is a DJP, the frame has a certain home built air to it though.

Regards

Garth
JayDauntless
Posted 4/7/2004 10:09 AM (#3013 - in reply to #3007)

The first problem is to figure out what a T4 is. We never recieved a model here called a T4 as far as I know. Looking at photo's in a book it looks like it is pretty much like a T3. Our lower rear mount may not work.
I would need to know more about how the sidecar attaches. I have never had a sidecar in like you are mounting and there are no standards.
I know that there are sidecar clubs in Austrailia as I have freinds who are members. Perhaps you might be able to source these parts localy.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com

Posted 12/10/2004 12:00 PM (#5603 - in reply to #3007)

Originally written by garth on 4/6/2004 7:58 PM

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has put a 4 mount sidecar on a Tonti framed Guzzi, as I'm just about to and I figure If I make it up as I go it might get messy.
As I'm sure you've guessed I'm new to all of this, but I have read the 130 odd page document on this site, and I'm going to be careful.
I'm in Australia so everything is upsidedown and back to front but we like it that way
Thanks in advance

Garth

Can anyone point me to this document?
Joyce
Posted 12/10/2004 3:15 PM (#5605 - in reply to #5603)

Try thishttp://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

Posted 1/7/2005 9:15 AM (#5865 - in reply to #3007)

Garth, I just put on my 850T-3FB/562Velorex in the album section I posted pictures under Jim in NY Hope it helps..Jim in NY
Hack'n
Posted 1/7/2005 2:17 PM (#5868 - in reply to #5865)

Expert

Jim,
Please don't be upset with me for adding a few constructive comments on your Album pix. Just trying to be helpful.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Posted 1/9/2005 11:07 AM (#5882 - in reply to #3007)

Lonnie Cook, Thanks for taking time to look we had 4 different Tech ( that are into sidecares) look at this bike to see how best way to add the side car mounts ( did not want to weld to the frame since I have all the stock parts to return this bike back to stock and original), since the frame is limited on where and how the mounts can be placed this is the best that could be done with the space we had to work with will let you know this summer after I put some miles on it and see how it holds up .Thanks for the advice ../ Jim in NY

Edited by Jim in NY 1/9/2005 11:46 AM