Hi
Sarge
Posted 4/7/2004 7:52 PM (#3017)
Subject: Hi

Veteran

Those who are also members of the Yahoo ISOK/Sidecar Talk and SKUNK lists will know me but here I'm the new kid on the block. I've been a member here since last Sept but just never posted. After almost five years of being a "pseudo-sidecarist" and actually owning three rigs, I am still a complete novice (number of complicated circumstances). I estimate I have no more than 200 miles total on all those rigs put together.

All this is about to end. My new 2004 Ural Retro rig should arrive at the dealer early next week. I'm on the point of going spastic in anticipation! Bear with me and SEE YOU ALL AT BEAN BLOSSOM!

Sarge
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Joyce
Posted 4/7/2004 9:30 PM (#3020 - in reply to #3017)
Subject: RE: Hi

Expert

Hey Sarge, I love the picture. Can't wait to finally meet you in person.
Fly
Posted 4/7/2004 10:01 PM (#3021 - in reply to #3017)

Extreme Veteran

sarge sure having a hard time hooking up with you. sent you apost on sct at4:10 its still not there. now10:54 saw your post on skunks about 6:30. sent e-mail to you then. anyway HI.
fly #ooowon
Sarge
Posted 4/8/2004 6:44 PM (#3032 - in reply to #3017)

Veteran

Joyce,

Me too (ie., meeting)! Please note those black spots on my photo subject's teeth have wings and legs! My Kinda Guy! Hope you got your GPS straightened out. Mine is working well, but I have determined that my (our?) plan on a budget GPS has gone straight out the window. For all I have spent on stuff to get the darned thing working OK, I could have bought a Garmin V like my riding buddy has. Waterproof, fast routing and easy to use. C'Est la Guerre! Oh yeah. I finally received the $30 rebate last week but am still waitiing for the big one.

Fly,

See your post was last night. Received your direct email this morning. Hope you got my response. Yahoo has been a real PITA for the past couple days. Hopefully it will straighten out soon!

Sarge
Joyce
Posted 4/8/2004 7:28 PM (#3033 - in reply to #3017)

Expert

Well Sarge, Al Olme has been blamed for a lot of things over the last two years and in fact he was the guy who posted the great deal on the Palm/Magellan GPS,but I'm afraid we were the suckers who fell for it. Yeah, I've got mine working and will use it in a couple of weeks when I head for Carlsbad. I've found that paper maps aren't all bad. It is a fun toy and maybe someday I'll get a better one or else forget the entire idea.
Sarge
Posted 4/9/2004 9:59 AM (#3037 - in reply to #3017)

Veteran

Joyce,

Well, Al and I are staying at the same motel near Bean Blossom. Maybe I'll "short-sheet" him or perform some other revenge!

Sarge
claude #3563
Posted 4/10/2004 5:46 AM (#3048 - in reply to #3037)

Expert

It seems as though Yahoo is working it's way out of the glitch it has ahad for a few days...sure hope so. I guess that is the nature of the beast all sites have their days.
Claude
Who still uses ole school, low tech paper maps folded as needed in the tank bag . Hint: When possible stop at the welcome stations when crossing state lines and pic up the free maps.

Sidecar RON-DEE-VOO July 23-25 ...see calendar
Sarge
Posted 4/10/2004 10:59 AM (#3050 - in reply to #3017)

Veteran

And one who owns a GPS and STILL prefers maps. UniversalMap makes the best with AAA the second. They have great detail (back road) maps for all of OH but for your darned state, Claude, neither source has zilch! If it ain't a state route it ain't! As I love back-road exploring, I can get myself totally lost in PA and only have to punch in asking for a route from my current location to some (suspected) nearby town. Once the GPS gets me there, the regular road maps can take over again.

There are the DeLorme Gazeteers which cover every logging trail, but those darned things are BIG. On the other hand, now that I'll have a rig, I could carry a library of them. Still a little hard to strap to the gastank, however!

Sarge
stevewoo
Posted 4/10/2004 11:19 AM (#3051 - in reply to #3017)
Subject: RE: Hi - Maps

Elite Veteran

I find the Benchmark Maps (State) Road and Recreation Atlases to be a better deal when you aren't planing on leaving the road. The DeLorme Gazeteers have way to much detail for my short attention span.
Sarge
Posted 4/14/2004 9:58 PM (#3118 - in reply to #3017)

Veteran

As of 1756 hrs it is official. My new Ural Retro rig was shipped last week from IMWA in Washington State and should have showed up at my dealer in NY today. No such luck. Because of time restraints, I must now wait till next week for the three day round trip to Utica. Do you know how crappy light beer tastes with the can half filled with tears?

Sarge