Sidecar on Harley
sturgisherb
Posted 12/28/2009 10:19 AM (#48276)
Subject: Sidecar on Harley

Does anyone have a preference of after market versus stock Harley sidecar with rigid frame of sidecar to rigid frame with no suspension on sidecar wheel? I am not staring at the set up, but memory tells me the side car has leaf springs between "boat/passenger compartment" and frame. No spring between frame and sidecar wheel! So does this make the bike lurch when side car wheel hits a bump or drop in a hole? Do passengers ever complain of motion sickness? Are there shocks on these rigs or available?

Is there such a thing as quick disconnect for a Harley sidecar? Need extra parts?

What happens to Gas mileage? Heard can drop as low as 24 MPG!

What is average ballast for FLH in sidecar without passenger?
Thank you in advance for your comments!
sturgisherb@yahoo.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 12/28/2009 12:00 PM (#48278 - in reply to #48276)
Subject: RE: Sidecar on Harley

Right, only the tub has leaf suspension. Some don't like the rocking effect. Almost all other currently sold sidecars have coil over shock/swingarm suspension. Some earlier aftermarket models have torsional suspension. Much smoother riding as the road shocks are absorbed and do mot transfer over to the motorcycle.
Harley cars do not have quick release mounts.
The Harley rigs drive quite well without suspension as there is some flex allowed in the mountings. Curvy rough roads can cause some weird harmonics with the leaf sprung boat bouncing around though.
There have been shocks mounted more or less horizontally on the sidecar tub to break up the rocking but a pot hole hit by the unsprung sidecar wheel will be telegraphed to the bike.
With a bagger you can expect up to 40 MPG with speeds around 60-65. Expect as low as 30 with 70-75 mph for sustained periods over variable terrain.
H-D used to have a 44# cast iron weight mounted on the wheel side sidecar leaf spring for ballast.
More can be added behind the seat if desired.

Lonnie
timo482
Posted 12/28/2009 8:43 PM (#48287 - in reply to #48278)

quick release - is for the most part a pure fantasy.

to ride right the bike / sidecar alignment need to be essentially perfect - each time you take it off and put it on there is a little tweaking.

if you are VERY mechanically adept you can do the removal in a few hours and do the install and alignment in a day [and you need to have good strength and be able to work on your knees quite a bit]

since a hd is 700 to 800 lb and the sidecar is just under 300 its not light work.

if you want "optimal" steering you need to change the front tree - and change it back again for solo operation. it is possible to get decent steering with the stock tree but alignment is extremely critical - you need to set it up to be right for the roads you ride on.

you will NOT have neutral steering on every road surface - left lane of 4 lane highways being the worst if its set up for 2 lane highway.

to

sturgisherb
Posted 12/28/2009 9:25 PM (#48288 - in reply to #48276)
Subject: Re: Sidecar on Harley

thanks to Hack'n and timo482 comments are helpful,
I am of the impression, Harley put a damper on the forks to stop wobble and avoid the added expense and labor for adjusting the trail of front end, treating the wobble/symptom rather than the cause, wrong angle, rake, so they can add a sidecar to any bike and return any hack to a two wheeler by unbolting sidecar!
I expect HD does not alter the triple trees on the bikes they supply with sidecars from factory! Any arguments?
It would seem that once a side car is set up and found to be drivable on a bike with standard rake and triple trees, that alignment parts/adjusters could be permanently mark the adjustment hardware so as to return to the same position or close to it rather quickly!
Anyone ever sleep in a HD hack while riding on long trips? Or impossible?
sturgisherb
Posted 12/28/2009 9:49 PM (#48289 - in reply to #48276)

Anyone cart a dog in sidecar safely?
sturgisherb
Posted 12/28/2009 9:49 PM (#48290 - in reply to #48276)

Anyone cart a dog in sidecar safely?
Hack'n
Posted 12/29/2009 10:31 AM (#48299 - in reply to #48290)

Many take their dogs along. About 1/4 of our clients but so their dogs can come with them.
Most use a harness with short straps so the dog cannot jump out if they get excited (usually due to another passing dog). Some use two straps; one hooked to the footrest so the dog can lie down in the nose out of the weather and one connected to a handgrip or luggage rack to limit travel.
Dogs usually take over the sidecar before they are out of the driveway.
Many owners also buy "Doggles" for their pooch, goggles made for eye protection.

Lonnie

(2007_0605Msvl72110004.JPG)

(650-700S.jpg)

(2001 Reflex 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2007_0605Msvl72110004.JPG (112KB - 46 downloads)
Attachments 650-700S.jpg (1567KB - 40 downloads)
Attachments 2001 Reflex 3.jpg (514KB - 37 downloads)
gnm109
Posted 12/31/2009 4:26 PM (#48360 - in reply to #48288)

sturgisherb - 12/28/2009 7:25 PM

thanks to Hack'n and timo482 comments are helpful,
I am of the impression, Harley put a damper on the forks to stop wobble and avoid the added expense and labor for adjusting the trail of front end, treating the wobble/symptom rather than the cause, wrong angle, rake, so they can add a sidecar to any bike and return any hack to a two wheeler by unbolting sidecar!
I expect HD does not alter the triple trees on the bikes they supply with sidecars from factory! Any arguments?
It would seem that once a side car is set up and found to be drivable on a bike with standard rake and triple trees, that alignment parts/adjusters could be permanently mark the adjustment hardware so as to return to the same position or close to it rather quickly!
Anyone ever sleep in a HD hack while riding on long trips? Or impossible?

The way you describe the Harley design and parts supply, it sounds like a conspiracy! LOL.

Harley advises against using modified triple trees on their motorcycles since they know well that many will periodically remove the sidecar and ride solo. With modified trees, this modification then becomes a handling issue.

Not arguing. What wobble? I've owned three Harley sidecar rigs since 1990 and none of them wobbled. The steering damper is a handy thing to have since it slows down the steering. The only time it's a problem is when you are parking,

It's possible to mark the sidecar parts and be able to return to the original setting that was used. I wil always do a toe-in check and a lean check anyway.

Haeley built triple trees for their sidecar rigs that were adjustable from 1949 on, when the first Hydra-Glides were built. They quit sometime in the Shovelhead period when the first rubber-mounted FLT's came out and never looked back.

They realized, as far as I can tell, that sidecars are always going to be a low volume item, although they are still used in many police forces. Now, with the new Tri-Glide, they are making modified trees and they are available to use on solos. What's not to like?

As far as sleeping in the hack, I've never heard of it. They are rather tight.

Edited by gnm109 1/1/2010 4:05 PM
sturgisherb
Posted 1/1/2010 10:49 AM (#48375 - in reply to #48276)

So, triple tree change outs are a major pain to install and should not be used if one intends to alternate between 2 up and sidecar usage!
Your comments also seem to indicate that the steering damper is more of an option than a necessity?
There is a plate attached to the bottom triple tree when using the damper? Does this require any disassembly of triple tree or simple bolt on?
I have noticed a wobble in my handle bars when on two wheel letting go of handle bars. I tightened the head bearing and the vibration felt when applying front breaks is gone and wobble experienced seems reduced but wobble will still gradually increase the longer the bars are not held. Do you think I need to take up more on bearing or is some wobble expected? Seems to meet the rock back and forth pattern described in the shop manual!
Hey! HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP!
timo482
Posted 1/1/2010 11:41 AM (#48379 - in reply to #48375)

if you want to go back and forth - you need to stick with the factory tgree and work out your shoulders with wts.

if you have the swing by set tight enough you can get by without the dampener - but the dampener comes stock with the sidecar - i use mine even with a raked tree.

the plate on the tree replaces the air deflector

if you have a wobble - find the culpret and fix it - your life depends on it.. it can be loose neck, loose front bearings, loose rear engine mounts, loose rear swing arm bushings, loose rear wheel berings, worn tires.....

to
gnm109
Posted 1/1/2010 4:09 PM (#48384 - in reply to #48375)

sturgisherb - 1/1/2010 8:49 AM

So, triple tree change outs are a major pain to install and should not be used if one intends to alternate between 2 up and sidecar usage!
Your comments also seem to indicate that the steering damper is more of an option than a necessity?
There is a plate attached to the bottom triple tree when using the damper? Does this require any disassembly of triple tree or simple bolt on?
I have noticed a wobble in my handle bars when on two wheel letting go of handle bars. I tightened the head bearing and the vibration felt when applying front breaks is gone and wobble experienced seems reduced but wobble will still gradually increase the longer the bars are not held. Do you think I need to take up more on bearing or is some wobble expected? Seems to meet the rock back and forth pattern described in the shop manual!
Hey! HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP!

Yes. Changing the triple trees is a fairly intense job.

If you have a wobble I suspect that the fork head bearings and/or the front tire need replacement.

The steering damper is an option, I guess, but I use it because I like it. You can run without it. It's easily installed with the later sidecar that has the mount for it on the cross bar.
sturgisherb
Posted 1/1/2010 6:08 PM (#48387 - in reply to #48276)

Is the damper design where there is a plate bolted to bottom of the triple tree for damper an old design no longer used?
gnm109
Posted 1/1/2010 6:21 PM (#48389 - in reply to #48387)

sturgisherb - 1/1/2010 4:08 PM

Is the damper design where there is a plate bolted to bottom of the triple tree for damper an old design no longer used?

The steering damper mount replaces the original cup-shaped air dam (58520-79A) that bolts to two threaded holes in the rear of the bottom tree. It dates to the start of the TLE sidecars for the first rubber-mounted FLT's which were the last Shovelheads built in 1983 or 1984, depending upon who you are talking to. At the same time, the adjustable trees became a thing of the past. They also changed from the large unwieldly threaded couplings on the two lower mouints that they had used for many, many years to Heim joints. That made connection easier, although it was still necessary to remove the Heim joint bolt and slip the joint apart to make toei-in changes. Later, in 2003, IIRC, they went to turnbuckle-style standoffs which permitted easy adjustment in place.

So the triple tree plate (HD calls it an air baffle) is still a good part number (87143-83) and, as you can see, it started in 1983.

Edited by gnm109 1/1/2010 6:24 PM
sturgisherb
Posted 1/1/2010 8:16 PM (#48391 - in reply to #48276)

anyone have an idea what a new Harley D sidecar should go for today and a good dealer in new england to get a good price? Am told have to order now for spring delivery 7-8+K
gnm109
Posted 1/1/2010 9:28 PM (#48393 - in reply to #48391)

sturgisherb - 1/1/2010 6:16 PM

anyone have an idea what a new Harley D sidecar should go for today and a good dealer in new england to get a good price? Am told have to order now for spring delivery 7-8+K

You should be able to find out the present-day MSRP on the TLE and TLE/Ultra from your dealer. A couple of years ago when I ordered mine, tthe Standard TLE was $7,350 and the Ultra was close to $10,000. Those prices were delivered to the dealer in the crate and included $300 shipping, document fee and tax, IIRC. If you install it yourself, you can save a bundle. Delivery took about ten to eleven weeks.

I don't know any dealer that would give any price lower than MSRP at this time. Since the sidecars have to be ordered, they won't cut any slack.
HOG
Posted 1/9/2010 7:53 PM (#48526 - in reply to #48276)

I just took off a TLE/Ultra sidecar off my 2003 ultra HD. First time it has ever been off{16k miles], I have the cart,all the mounts and wiring for sale. 8K
It is two tone with gold spoke wheel.
timo482
Posted 1/9/2010 8:33 PM (#48528 - in reply to #48526)

do you have all the brake parts and oil sender and brake tee and rollover switch etc?

to
HOG
Posted 1/9/2010 9:12 PM (#48530 - in reply to #48276)

My mechanic and son helped me take off the cart, first time ever, so I could take the Ultra to KY to install an Hannigan 2+2. Any parts that come back extra go with the sidecar. The cart has disc brakes and the line ran over to the bike and we disconnected it and put a plug in it on my bike. The line is still on the cart. I don't know what the oil sender is, but will find out. same for the rollover switch, Anything attached to the cart is still with the cart.
timo482
Posted 1/9/2010 9:45 PM (#48531 - in reply to #48530)

ah..

the connection kit stayed on the bike...

thanks

to
HOG
Posted 1/9/2010 9:59 PM (#48532 - in reply to #48276)

Hannigan didn't want anything but the bike so if these parts are to be withe the HD cart then I will be getting them back the week of the 25th when I pick the bike up. Anyone interested in the cart or the 96 wing with a Hannigan astro,$10k, I will be going to Murray Ky on 25 or 26, or I go to Myrtle Beach quite often. I could deliver either during that time
timo482
Posted 1/9/2010 10:28 PM (#48533 - in reply to #48532)

all buyers want the whole sidecar kit..... or the car listed as "without the kit"

its a small box of parts that come with the sidecar - most owners dont even know it exists and sell the sidecar as whole but leave out the kit from the box - causing all kinds of hard feelings & usually some swearing when the omission is discovered - been there... the value of the car is plus or minus a grand if the kit is complete or not...

most dealers wont even tell a owner about the "kit" so most owners dont even know.. but the next buyer will have a heart attack when there "complete sidecar" is found to be missing the most difficult parts of the "kit" the large castings are the cheap parts - its the small ones that suck.

hannigan "probably" wont bother taking the kit off. just the large cast mounts... ive installed and removed two kits - takes 8 hours of sweat & hard work on and then off.

the kit is a thousand bux+ these days & is shipped WITH the sidecar & included in the price from hd. - all the parts sort of disappear onto the bike and the new sidecar buyer will expect them with it.. it includes the brake pedal, the master cyl adapter, a brake hose, the master cyl reservoir, a 90 bend that moves the oil sender, the tee where the rear brake taps off to the sidecar & the rollover switch that is behind the battery under the seat completely hidden& comes with a 8" long harness. a different clutch cable. the bracket for the steering dampener. and a box of tiny odd bolts and clips. & last the special right saddle bag latch that lets the lid come off so it does not smack the sidecar.

all the parts i list are part of the sidecar - the original parts that came with the bike were replaced - you cant install a hd sidecar on a hd bike without all those tiny little special order parts - it wont fit.. the installer is "supposed" to put all the same original parts they took off the bike back in the box and give it to the owner when they are done with the job. when you take the sidecar off and sell it you should be able to take that little box of parts worth more than gold and swap them back & give the kit to the new owner.

otherwise its a sidecar WITHOUT a mounting kit.

good luck

to

gnm109
Posted 1/9/2010 10:54 PM (#48534 - in reply to #48533)

What TIMO482 says is the issue.

The parts in question, other than sidecar frame and tub are:

1. Brass 3/16" pipe brake Tee for sidecar brake hose hookup.
2. Changeover master cylinder sleeve for remote use.
3. Remote master cylinder reservoir and mount,
4. 90 degree 1/4" pipe brass elbow for oil pressure sending unit to clear lower front mount.
5. Pre-2003 rear brake lever. (stand up versus laydown) to clear lower front mount.
6. Extra long (+ ~6") clutch cable to go under crankcase to miss lower mount and exhaust.
7. Inner steering damper mount (attaches to rear of lower triple tree to replace air dam.
8. Steering damper unit.
9. Right side saddlebag replacement hinge unit.
10. Rollover switch and cables.
11. Owner's manual.
12. Original Harley-Davidson Bill of Sale/Title Document.
13. Associated bolts, flat washers, lock washers, lock nuts.
14. Upper front mount,
15. Lower front mount.
16. Lower rear mount.

Very often a seller of a sidecar which was removed from their bike will simply remove the sidecar and leave the above parts on the donor motorcycle with the exception of the three major mounts. (Items, 14, 15, and 16). I looked at several used sidecars and all of that stuff (1-13) was missing and so I lost interest.

The other issue was that the paint color is usually wrong on a used sidecar. With those issues facing me, the difference I paid for a new sidecar in the crate with all of the equipment present was well worth it in peace of mind. Furthermore, since I have a black bike, I got a free paint match, stripes and all. They also matched my black cast aluminum wheel,

Hopefully those items can be found. The problem is that one would also need the original items with which to replace them.

Edited by gnm109 1/9/2010 10:54 PM
HOG
Posted 1/10/2010 2:42 PM (#48546 - in reply to #48276)

GREAT information!!! I went into my attic and found the box with remote master cylinder, the lower fairing, rear brake lever, rightside saddle bag hinge unit, inner steering damper mount. I already removed the damper unit, owner manual all mounts,bolts etc, head phone y cable, speaker y cable. When I go to hannigan, I will get the rollover switch off and other items I didn't know went with the sidecar. Again Thanks for the Information!!!
timo482
Posted 1/10/2010 2:56 PM (#48548 - in reply to #48546)

you will get more interest & a higher price when you can show you have the whole kit.

good luck

to

ps - when i got mine - the ones i bid on were the ones with the entire kit - i never was able to bid high enough to get a complete one and the ones without the kit went for 2 k or so and i passed on those.

pps - when you get ready to advertise it go to the dealer and get the part list for the mounting kit.. then take a picture of all the parts and include the parts list. & the kit part number - if you take the vin of your sidecar they can give you a parts list of what came with it.. the fairing lower etc will be listed on that list - include in your documentation of the ad that you have all the parts as shipped to install on the bike - the bike range for a 03 should be, i think, 99 to 05 with no changes. ... if your sidecar has the sterio in it be sure to advertize it as a "TLE Ultra" those are worth more because of the larger seat, the better interior and the lower right fairing for the bike - each of which are mid three figure parts.

a bare, no kit, tle is worth at best 2500 bux.. a tle ultra with the entire kit, sound system, and the lower fairing should be worth 5k or better.
gnm109
Posted 1/10/2010 3:03 PM (#48550 - in reply to #48546)

HOG - 1/10/2010 12:42 PM

GREAT information!!! I went into my attic and found the box with remote master cylinder, the lower fairing, rear brake lever, rightside saddle bag hinge unit, inner steering damper mount. I already removed the damper unit, owner manual all mounts,bolts etc, head phone y cable, speaker y cable. When I go to hannigan, I will get the rollover switch off and other items I didn't know went with the sidecar. Again Thanks for the Information!!!

Glad to be of help on that. It's still quite fresh in my mind since I haven't yet recovered from changing all of that stuff. LOL.

I didn't mention the lower right Ultra fairing because I didn't get one with my TLE sidecar. The sidecar fairing does indeed come with the TLE ULTRA model sidecar. This would have been another $2,000 retail for the Ultra sidecar over the standard TLE. I happen to use mine without a passenger most of the time. My spouse doesn't care for the radios so the Ultra model would have been a waste of money. It's also got that radio pod hanging down between the passenger's knees. For my purposes, I also like the seat in the TLE standard model since it's lower but that's a matter of personal preference.

I bought a brand new Ultra sidecar fairing on eBay in primer and painted it black with stripes to match my bike so all is well.

The roll over switch, once installed, requires that the ECM be toggled by the Harley technician using the Digital Technician (specialized laptop). That would be a good thing to have with any brand of sidecar since in the unlikely event of a complete rollover, it will shut the engine down.

If it's removed, the then solo bike should be taken to a dealer to have the ECM set back to solo configuration. That will reengage the TSSM Bank Angle Sensor so that any angle greater than 45 degrees will cause a shutdown.

Good luck.

Edited by gnm109 1/10/2010 3:06 PM
HOG
Posted 1/10/2010 6:00 PM (#48553 - in reply to #48276)

Thanks again, I found this site two years ago when I went to a bike part show in North Carolina and a guy selling site cars left brochures in his empty booth. I went online and joined. The info and help is priceless. Thanks again. You guys rock!!
ed carlson
Posted 1/12/2010 6:58 PM (#48590 - in reply to #48276)

if you are wanting to sell the lower fairing and saddle bag hinge let me know
timo482
Posted 1/12/2010 7:10 PM (#48591 - in reply to #48590)

when i found myself without the hinge due to my own brain dead state in 06...... traded in the bike and kept the sidecar and even though I installed the kit originally - forgot a few small items....... & when i realized it the old bike had been wholesaled out already and i was stuck... bummer

got the latch and the lower fairing from hd - could not find one anywhere

the next week both parts appeared on ebay and sold for half what i paid

check ebay once a week and eventually the lower will show up... the latch... possibly.

HOG
Posted 1/13/2010 7:30 AM (#48598 - in reply to #48276)

Ebay is a great place to find parts. Anyone near North Carolina at the Metrolina Expo Center in Charlotte can pick up almost anything at the bike swap meet. It is March 27 & 28th. I'm looking for 100 yr anniv. medalions for my new hannigan . Last year I needed the rear spocket that had stripped off and found a new one for 10 dollars! I also paid 10 for a harley tow hitch. This is the largest meet I ever been to!
gnm109
Posted 1/13/2010 6:58 PM (#48608 - in reply to #48598)

HOG - 1/13/2010 5:30 AM

Ebay is a great place to find parts. Anyone near North Carolina at the Metrolina Expo Center in Charlotte can pick up almost anything at the bike swap meet. It is March 27 & 28th. I'm looking for 100 yr anniv. medalions for my new hannigan . Last year I needed the rear spocket that had stripped off and found a new one for 10 dollars! I also paid 10 for a harley tow hitch. This is the largest meet I ever been to!

Yes, eBay is a good source. Everyone who owns a sidecar rig, Harley-Davidson or otherwise should make it a habit to look at eBay frequently. I go through there nearly every day to see what is for sale in rigs and parts. I use keywords "sidecar" or Harley sidecar" and will usually get 2 to 3 hundred listings. Many of them are documents like photos, and such but if you refine your search for "motor vehicles" or "transportation" only, those items will drop out.

Recently therre have been many sidecar mounts and other related items. I've sold many parts there myself in the past few years. It's a great market place. No, I don't have any eBay stock. LOL.

I used to go to lots of motorcycle swap meets in Northern California all of the time but the past few years they are not as common. There are some in state owned buildings and fairgrounds but the costs can be discouraging. For example, many shows have a $10 per head admission with $10 for parking. That's $30 for two people, just to get in. And if you get hungry, forget about it until later. I don't drink in public anymore but they are getting $5.00 for a 12 ounce cup of beer and $4.00 for a soda. Then there are the hot dogs. $4.00! No Thanks.

So eBay is looking pretty good these days. LOL.

HOG
Posted 1/13/2010 8:01 PM (#48610 - in reply to #48276)

On ebay today,I got green LED's for my new setup as I had red led's and Myrtle Beach is getting so anti-bike, I'm pulling the red. My friend got pulled for blue led's,I didn't have mine on but he claimed I ran the stop sign. We all got warnings only!!
gnm109
Posted 1/13/2010 8:23 PM (#48612 - in reply to #48610)

HOG - 1/13/2010 6:01 PM

On ebay today,I got green LED's for my new setup as I had red led's and Myrtle Beach is getting so anti-bike, I'm pulling the red. My friend got pulled for blue led's,I didn't have mine on but he claimed I ran the stop sign. We all got warnings only!!

Yes, the blue lights belong to law enforcement practically worldwide. If you just got a warning, you were lucky. They seldom give warnings in California. They get their ticket book out the moment they stop you.

HOG
Posted 1/13/2010 10:15 PM (#48616 - in reply to #48276)

The 96 goldwing with hannigan astro I have 4 sale has purple leds had a scecret button I didn't know about and it had 6 blue strobe lights. I took them off real fast!!! I'll put them on one of my grandsons Toys later. I own a c store with a Subway in it. We give ALL cops half off subs, always free pop and coffee and across town I own a carwash and we give them free carwashes or token for free carwash and vacuums. We also put on poker run to benefit the local fire dept. It is a volunteer FD and when one is in need we give $$ to help the firemen out. Town insurance for them is lousey so when they get hurt they fall behind on payments so we step in.