Harley Sidecar Manual
deltasnook
Posted 2/17/2010 4:14 PM (#49346)
Subject: Harley Sidecar Manual

Harley sent me a PDF Manual that is listed as an 07 through 2010. The manual dates back as far as 1999 and covers pretty much of everything. Forum members needing this are welcome to contact me and I'll email it to them. Stay safe out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ed carlson
Posted 2/17/2010 5:41 PM (#49351 - in reply to #49346)
Subject: Re: Harley Sidecar Manual

That would be nice email is a1450biker@yahoo.com
ed carlson
Posted 2/18/2010 5:54 PM (#49365 - in reply to #49346)

thanks for the down load. i have a 06 bagger with a 98 sidecar with updated sealed 3/4 bearings and disk brakes, seems more info is always better, thamks a lot
careyjasm01
Posted 2/18/2010 7:12 PM (#49368 - in reply to #49346)
Subject: RE: Harley Sidecar Manual

Thanks I just got a new to me '07 Ultra with an '08 car. Still very low on the up hill side of the learning curve. careyjasm01@aol.com Thanks again.
ed carlson
Posted 2/18/2010 9:29 PM (#49371 - in reply to #49368)

double thanks for the pdf i just wrote down a bunch of part numbers from the book as the way they changed the brake resivoir will make changing the oil filter a breeze and now to check out the lower bottom brace that was added under the frame for strength need to see if that will fit the 06 it started in 07, off to the dealer, thanks again
deltasnook
Posted 2/19/2010 6:26 PM (#49385 - in reply to #49371)

You're more than welcome guys.
HOG
Posted 2/19/2010 10:03 PM (#49388 - in reply to #49346)

That would be great if I could get it for my 2003 ultra tle, please send to
hog13@live .com
mwnelson
Posted 2/22/2010 5:58 PM (#49494 - in reply to #49346)

I'd also like an email copy. Thanks.
George Ryals
Posted 2/23/2010 8:25 PM (#49516 - in reply to #49346)

I too would like to have the pdf file of the manual. gdryals3@earthlink.net Thanks!
gnm109
Posted 2/24/2010 7:47 PM (#49538 - in reply to #49516)

Thanks for the offer. I collect these manuals so I can help people out when they ask a question.
Please send the PDF to zigeuner@frontiernet.net

Regards.

Edited by gnm109 2/24/2010 7:47 PM
Loon
Posted 2/25/2010 12:49 AM (#49543 - in reply to #49346)

Would this PDF manual be something that could be posted to this website? Sounds like there is enough interest that maybe it could be put into the reference section for general availablility (that is if there is no copyright issue or if permission could be obtained from HD). Even though my rig is not a HD unit, I would expect there is probably some general information to be gained. Always looking to be smarter than I was yesterday.
George Ryals
Posted 2/25/2010 9:55 AM (#49549 - in reply to #49543)
Subject: Reference Section

I have seen the"Reference Section" refered to before, but I have been unable to find a reference section that members can upload files to. Am I somehow overlooking where this section is?? Help!
gnm109
Posted 2/25/2010 10:31 AM (#49551 - in reply to #49346)

deltasnook - 2/17/2010 2:14 PM

Harley sent me a PDF Manual that is listed as an 07 through 2010. The manual dates back as far as 1999 and covers pretty much of everything. Forum members needing this are welcome to contact me and I'll email it to them. Stay safe out there.

I received your PDF upload. Thanks a lot! It's amazing how much Harley has changed frames and mounting systems over the past 10 years. They keep changing things most every year now.

I appreciate it!
Joyce
Posted 2/25/2010 11:02 AM (#49552 - in reply to #49549)
Subject: RE: Reference Section

Well, If someone want to email this to me I can upload it in the reference section!

president@sidecar.com

George Ryals
Posted 2/25/2010 12:43 PM (#49556 - in reply to #49346)

Is the reference section where Hal's book are?
timo482
Posted 3/1/2010 8:02 PM (#49662 - in reply to #49346)

id love to have that on pdf - very much

timo482@mac.com
Joyce
Posted 3/1/2010 8:09 PM (#49663 - in reply to #49346)

I'm sort of having second thoughts about posting it here. One of my web guys thinks that we might run into legal issues without permission from Harley Davidson. I know that they like to sell these manuals so if emails work for everyone for the time being, I'll probably continue to chew on this for a while. Sorry.
timo482
Posted 3/1/2010 8:31 PM (#49664 - in reply to #49663)

emails are completely fine

and less likely to choke and puke a server

to
timo482
Posted 3/2/2010 7:29 PM (#49697 - in reply to #49346)

reading the new manual....

its a 5 hour deal to remove the sidecar from a bike now and probably 8 hours to put it back on

there is a brace under the engine that has to be on with the sidecar and off with the sidecar off - have to move the wire harness and brake lines - both ways

the kick stand is bolted fixed with the sidecar on and bolted to work with it off - using different parts

the bank angle sensor must be REMOVED when the sidecar goes off and INSTALLED when its on - or the bike wont start

and the rear brake line takes a different bolt solo and different bolt with sidecar. - and the rear master cyl is COMPLETELY different - replace the whole thing cyl, pedal, lines, rez.

the easy on easy off myth is totally busted....

the parts list that gets mounted ON the bike is double what it was.

to make it more interesting - my 2007 kit is 2007 ONLY, the 2008 kit is 2008 ONLY, the next kit is 2009, 2010..

gnm109
Posted 3/2/2010 7:39 PM (#49698 - in reply to #49697)

timo482 - 3/2/2010 5:29 PM

reading the new manual....

its a 5 hour deal to remove the sidecar from a bike now and probably 8 hours to put it back on

there is a brace under the engine that has to be on with the sidecar and off with the sidecar off - have to move the wire harness and brake lines - both ways

the kick stand is bolted fixed with the sidecar on and bolted to work with it off - using different parts

the bank angle sensor must be REMOVED when the sidecar goes off and INSTALLED when its on - or the bike wont start

and the rear brake line takes a different bolt solo and different bolt with sidecar. - and the rear master cyl is COMPLETELY different - replace the whole thing cyl, pedal, lines, rez.

the easy on easy off myth is totally busted....

the parts list that gets mounted ON the bike is double what it was.

to make it more interesting - my 2007 kit is 2007 ONLY, the 2008 kit is 2008 ONLY, the next kit is 2009, 2010..

Yeah, I looked at that book and was amazed how much more difficult they have made it.

Do you mean the roll over switch (88115-03)rather than the Bank Angle Sensor? The Bank Angle Sensor on my bike is built into the TSSM (Turn Signal/Security Module).

That lock for the side stand is really unnecessary. I've never had mine move since I installed the sidecar. I guess they're concerned about liability, 100 years later. LOL.

That frame support is an interesting-looking thing, isn't it? I wonder why they decided to add that. As far as I know, the earlier Harleys never suffered from broken frames. It must have to do with the design of the 2009 frame. The changes they are making routinely now are going to ensure that used parts won't be available in a few years.

It also sounds like it will be a great deal more expensive. Oh well. I guess I'll keep what I have.

Edited by gnm109 3/2/2010 7:43 PM
timo482
Posted 3/2/2010 7:55 PM (#49699 - in reply to #49698)

the bas is required after 2003 - without it the engine shut off sequence can occur easy in a right hand turn if the tire comes up just a tiny bit.

and yes its the 88115-03 - thats the bas

the lock for the sidestand is needed because the starter wont engage unless the bike is on the sidestand so... they have to lock it in place with a new part that will allow the starter to engage.. in fact you have to turn the switch ON THEN put in neutral to start or it wont start.

basically - if you mount a sidecar - then remove it and sell it without reading the manual - instead of throwing out 1k of parts - its 2k of parts and the bike may not even start

the cross frame prevents the kickstand from coming all the way up and will turn on the "kickstand down" alarm or light or whatever it is.

on my bike i have to remove the bulb in the right rear turn signal or none of them work - on the new ones - you have to remove a jumper when you remove the sidecar or the turn signal wont work. but only on two models

it used to be there were two models - tle, tleu...

now its tle for ultra, tle for road king, tle for .......

wheels and wire are no longer common amongst the touring bikes.. so..... wheel, wire, cable, brackets - change from model to model and year to year.. each sidecar comes to fit ONE model for ONE year

we have reached that point i figured we would get to - a sidecar on a 2007 ultra is only good for a 2007 ultra or its 2k less value of the parts are left on the bike.

*sigh* i figured that would happen next year - it already did and i didnt notice.

to
gnm109
Posted 3/2/2010 8:10 PM (#49700 - in reply to #49699)

timo482 - 3/2/2010 5:55 PM

the bas is required after 2003 - without it the engine shut off sequence can occur easy in a right hand turn if the tire comes up just a tiny bit.

and yes its the 88115-03 - thats the bas

the lock for the sidestand is needed because the starter wont engage unless the bike is on the sidestand so... they have to lock it in place with a new part that will allow the starter to engage.. in fact you have to turn the switch ON THEN put in neutral to start or it wont start.

basically - if you mount a sidecar - then remove it and sell it without reading the manual - instead of throwing out 1k of parts - its 2k of parts and the bike may not even start

the cross frame prevents the kickstand from coming all the way up and will turn on the "kickstand down" alarm or light or whatever it is.

on my bike i have to remove the bulb in the right rear turn signal or none of them work - on the new ones - you have to remove a jumper when you remove the sidecar or the turn signal wont work. but only on two models

it used to be there were two models - tle, tleu...

now its tle for ultra, tle for road king, tle for .......

wheels and wire are no longer common amongst the touring bikes.. so..... wheel, wire, cable, brackets - change from model to model and year to year.. each sidecar comes to fit ONE model for ONE year

we have reached that point i figured we would get to - a sidecar on a 2007 ultra is only good for a 2007 ultra or its 2k less value of the parts are left on the bike.

*sigh* i figured that would happen next year - it already did and i didnt notice.

to

Interesting changes.

We are having a slight semantic problem. The 88115-03 is a Roll Over Protection Switch. It converts the Bank Angle Sensor, which remains inside of the TSSM behind the battery, into a 180 degree rollover shutoff switch once the system has been toggled by your friendly Harley-Davbidson dealer for a small fee.....

As to the cost of the connection kit, you're right about that. It's going to go sky high. An interesting situation is when someone buys a Harley with a sidecar and then sells the sidecar and keeps all of the special parts on the bike. That's a real problem for the purchaser of the sidecar. He will have to shell out some big money to get the correct kit. Nice.

timo482
Posted 3/2/2010 8:27 PM (#49701 - in reply to #49700)

when a rig is separated is where the trouble has always been... several things are different now...

first - buyers are going to be FURIOUS when they find out the used sidecar is not complete - at 900 bux its sort of a d*&^n i was not paying attention - at 2k its g*&&^%t its going to cost MORE than a new sidecar to fix this d*&^n used one - ive been screwed - its enough cash to take to small claims

second - the bike the sidecar has been removed from - it wont start, or run, and on two models the rear lights wont work until the kit is removed - or 90 % removed - the bas and the jumper harness and the cross frame have to be REMOVED to get it to start and ride - it will sit there and alarm at you if you try to ride it because it will KNOW its missing a wheel.......

third - the bike brakes are now enough changed - that upon removal its going to cost actual BUX to make the brakes work solo - it used to be "find a plug" now its "find a solo master cyl & a bolt and a pedal.

so the buyer of the BIKE that was split is also going to be furious when he finds he cant ride it away.

folks used to purchase combinations thinking that they were going to make a small fortune separating them and selling them off - instead they lose 16 hours of labor and 2k bux on the separation unless they happen to actually read the manual and find a sidecar buyer with the exact right model and year - paint is now the CHEAPEST part of the conversion.

essentially - for a 2009 or 2010 hd sidecar combination - making it into a solo bike now makes as much sense as buying a new tri glide and making that into a solo bike.

for a 2007 or 2008 its still easy to get the bike back to solo - but the sidecar parts are all "one year only" so the whole d*&n kit goes in the trash if a matching year bike is not found.

i may be financially FORCED to sell my bike - the sidecar i own - but the whole kit is a waste.. *arrggggg*

to

to
gnm109
Posted 3/2/2010 8:36 PM (#49702 - in reply to #49701)

timo482 - 3/2/2010 6:27 PM

when a rig is separated is where the trouble has always been... several things are different now...

first - buyers are going to be FURIOUS when they find out the used sidecar is not complete - at 900 bux its sort of a d*&^n i was not paying attention - at 2k its g*&&^%t its going to cost MORE than a new sidecar to fix this d*&^n used one - ive been screwed - its enough cash to take to small claims

second - the bike the sidecar has been removed from - it wont start, or run, and on two models the rear lights wont work until the kit is removed - or 90 % removed - the bas and the jumper harness and the cross frame have to be REMOVED to get it to start and ride - it will sit there and alarm at you if you try to ride it because it will KNOW its missing a wheel.......

third - the bike brakes are now enough changed - that upon removal its going to cost actual BUX to make the brakes work solo - it used to be "find a plug" now its "find a solo master cyl & a bolt and a pedal.

so the buyer of the BIKE that was split is also going to be furious when he finds he cant ride it away.

folks used to purchase combinations thinking that they were going to make a small fortune separating them and selling them off - instead they lose 16 hours of labor and 2k bux on the separation unless they happen to actually read the manual and find a sidecar buyer with the exact right model and year - paint is now the CHEAPEST part of the conversion.

essentially - for a 2009 or 2010 hd sidecar combination - making it into a solo bike now makes as much sense as buying a new tri glide and making that into a solo bike.

for a 2007 or 2008 its still easy to get the bike back to solo - but the sidecar parts are all "one year only" so the whole d*&n kit goes in the trash if a matching year bike is not found.

i may be financially FORCED to sell my bike - the sidecar i own - but the whole kit is a waste.. *arrggggg*

to

to

You mentioned removing the right turn signal bulb. I also had to do that to get the turn signals to work.

I certainly hope that you don't have to sell your rig. It's unfortunate when finances are a problem. Believe me, I've been there - more than once, too.

These are difficult times, for sure.

Hang in there.
timo482
Posted 3/2/2010 8:48 PM (#49703 - in reply to #49702)

oh yes, difficult times...

i have one actual work offer for the summer, 12 bux a hour if i only work 8 hours a day.. ha... maximum 12k this summer..

last year i made 12k... the year before 57k... in fact in 2009 i made exactly what i made in 1986 - my peak earning year was 2002..

still have the house, bike & family

truck gone, ins gone, most of my stuff already long gone.... the rest is getting pretty worn out.

just the way it is. the grand kids are healthy - one kid is in college - one daughter in law is making a sort of living - everybody else is living off my 12k...

to
midntstr
Posted 3/19/2010 10:19 PM (#49965 - in reply to #49346)

Is it to late to get the pdf sent? Thanks if you can. dad@softcom.net Have a nice day. Dick
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 10:27 AM (#50480 - in reply to #49346)

If you could. I need all the help I can get. I'm trying to install a 2006 TLE on a 2007 FLHP. Thanks for any assistance.
gnm109
Posted 4/13/2010 10:33 AM (#50481 - in reply to #50480)

collazd - 4/13/2010 8:27 AM

If you could. I need all the help I can get. I'm trying to install a 2006 TLE on a 2007 FLHP. Thanks for any assistance.

You would be far better off with the standard Harley-Davidson sidecar manual for your particular year. The 2010 machines are completely different in the mounts and part numbers.

Or, you can get the manual from the Harley dealer. It's P/N 99485-07.

Good luck,

Edited by gnm109 4/13/2010 10:34 AM
timo482
Posted 4/13/2010 11:38 AM (#50483 - in reply to #50480)

collazd

ive done a 2004 sidecar on a 2007

it turns out that 2007 is a one off year

any help you need, ask

first question to you, does the bike have stock police wireing? it wont matter much

does it have a oil cooler on it

whatever you do dont mess with the engine of a police bike - they have proven to have more power than stock bikes - they are usually larger displacement but set up for maximum possible bottom end. there was a recal/update to put compression releases on recent police bikes - you will have to check to see if yours has them or should have them. i have a police air cleaner box on my ultra - it has twice the air holes that a stock bike has - yet will still keep rain off the air cleaner...

im also running a air cooling fan and a liberty raked tree & a car rear tire..

i very much like the rear car tire - but to be honest i could have put 4 factory tires on for the cost.. live and learn.

to
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 11:59 AM (#50484 - in reply to #50481)

Thanks for the parts #. My main concern is about changes i may need to make. Another person told me that I needed to relocate the rear master cylinder for fitment. Not sure and want to know if the oil cooler also needs relocation.
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 12:03 PM (#50485 - in reply to #50483)

Hi. Yes I have the stock police wiring and it also has an oil cooler. I have the brackets that come with the car. The rear mount has numerous holes in it and appears to have been a three bolter. It has a lobe and a pin on the part that goes around the swingarm. Does this make sense? thanks
timo482
Posted 4/13/2010 12:22 PM (#50486 - in reply to #50485)

ok, you REALLY need a 07 manual

do you HAVE a COMPLETE mount kit? or just the big cheap cast parts?

the 07 front lower mount is special to 07 and 08 ONLY - no chance you have the right one - the left half of the front lower mount is almost for sure OK, but the right half of the lower wont fit - no way - no how

you dont move the rear master cyl - you move the resivour for it - AND you have to have the proper pedal

are you certain the bike never had a police sidecar on it? it will save bux if it did

you need a two bolt rear mount - there is a version with a pin and a version with a bar - you need the one with a bar - its a several year part

the upper mount is the same for many years - changed in 09 and newer

to save a LOT of time - list the actual parts you got with the sidecar -

all the stock harley oil cooler adapters WILL NOT FIT

what i did was get a remote filter kit from jerry riggs off the net and mounted the filter and the cooler to the right crash bar - used the stock cooler and some clamps.

later

to'
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 12:52 PM (#50488 - in reply to #50486)

Lucky for me the car came with all the brackets. I think it came off a 1999 FLH. My bike was bought new at the dealer. It never had a sidecar. The sidecar is a TLE Ultra Classic. It has the harness for the connections to a bike. Not too worried about the electrical, will deal with that when the time comes. Right now worried about hook up. Thanks for the great advice. I tried to present the car to the bike to get an idea and the upper mount seems ok. Can see that I have a clearance problem with the right lower connector. Where can I find the stuff to relocate the reservior and is it possible to get the left lower connector and the two hole rear connector. Greatly appreciate your willingness to help along with the expertise. Thank you very much.
gnm109
Posted 4/13/2010 2:13 PM (#50490 - in reply to #50484)

collazd - 4/13/2010 9:59 AM

Thanks for the parts #. My main concern is about changes i may need to make. Another person told me that I needed to relocate the rear master cylinder for fitment. Not sure and want to know if the oil cooler also needs relocation.

There is a remote sleeve that slides onto your standard brake master cylinder to replace the existing master cylinder. Then there is a remote master cylinder reservoir that fits on the frame above the lower front mount.

The oil cooler is OK but you may have to remove it temporarily to install the lower front mount. I had to do that.

Then, the oil pressure sending unit is moved with a 90 degee elbow to get it out of the way.

It's all in the manual.

Good luck.

timo482
Posted 4/13/2010 2:57 PM (#50491 - in reply to #50488)

ahhh... having the brackets is having about 1/3 of the kit

rear master cyl sleeve, brake hose, remote rez & bolts [and 2007 and 2008 require a different hose and rez than prev so you will need to get the right one]

rear brake pedal - the 07 one that came on the bike wont work - have to have the proper one

90 bend to move the oil sender

i could not get the cooler adapter on - possibly it will fit - but on the 07 the filter mount is cast into the right side case and it moves it so that the older mount will NOT fit and the cooler adapter would not fit. its a 07, 08 special right lower mount

there is a rear brake t

rear lower mount

roll over switch that mounts behind the battery under the seat - that was not needed in the past on older bikes

new clutch cable that goes under the engine rather than along the right side

steering dampner and all kinds of fittings that go with it

right saddle bag latch - on a police bike i dont think you need the latch

its all special parts - they are listed in the 07 manual - and many have a 07 suffix.

the whole kit will be about 1000 to 1200 bux - price all the bits seperate it may be cheaper to get the kit

if it came off off a 1999 flh then the radio stuff wont work, but the lights will

thinking about it - a "complete" 99 kit will be missing the right lower front mount, the lower rear mount, the roll over switch and all the brake parts.

most of the parts that wont fit from a 99 are because the twin cam 96 engine uses different castings and the parts just wont clear. [yours is almost certainly a police 103]

to
collazd
Posted 4/13/2010 3:43 PM (#50496 - in reply to #50491)

Yes it is a Police 103. I think I got the info I need to get things going in the right direction. Thanks for the help.
46u
Posted 4/16/2010 9:52 PM (#50607 - in reply to #49663)

Joyce - 3/1/2010 9:09 PM

I'm sort of having second thoughts about posting it here. One of my web guys thinks that we might run into legal issues without permission from Harley Davidson. I know that they like to sell these manuals so if emails work for everyone for the time being, I'll probably continue to chew on this for a while. Sorry.

Being there is not profit being made here or selling of anything I do not think it is a big deal.
iwboomer
Posted 5/14/2010 1:05 PM (#51278 - in reply to #49346)

Could I have a copy of the .pdf

iwboomer@mokancomm.net
bubbaj
Posted 6/6/2010 2:18 PM (#51721 - in reply to #49346)

I would like a copy of the manual e-mailed to me at bubbaj128@hotmail.com . I'm putting a 96 harley ultra sidecar on a 01 harley classic and need all the info I can get . Thanks alot
gnm109
Posted 6/6/2010 3:51 PM (#51722 - in reply to #51721)

bubbaj - 6/6/2010 12:18 PM

I would like a copy of the manual e-mailed to me at bubbaj128@hotmail.com . I'm putting a 96 harley ultra sidecar on a 01 harley classic and need all the info I can get . Thanks alot

I don't think that they are available anymore from this site. Your best bet is to buy the manual on eBay. P/N 99485-(year)

Walter
Posted 8/17/2010 3:54 PM (#53212 - in reply to #49346)

I would love a copy of that manual. I put on a Companion GT Sidecar on my 2001 Heritage last year and am still having some wobble issues that I am dealing with.
Thanks
Walter
chobee1991@hotmail.com
gnm109
Posted 8/17/2010 4:25 PM (#53213 - in reply to #53212)

Walter - 8/17/2010 1:54 PM

I would love a copy of that manual. I put on a Companion GT Sidecar on my 2001 Heritage last year and am still having some wobble issues that I am dealing with.
Thanks
Walter
chobee1991@hotmail.com

They are copyright by Harley-Davidson. They aren't available here. The P/N is 99485-XX (year of manual). There are lots of them available on eBay or from the Harley-Davidson dealer.

Edited by gnm109 8/17/2010 8:04 PM
Hack'n
Posted 8/17/2010 7:08 PM (#53215 - in reply to #53212)

The Harley Sidecar Manuals only refer to HD sidecars, which are an unsprung three point mounted sidecar that does not attach to a Softtail without extensive custom modification of attachments.
The only non FLH/T bikes the TLE cars were attached to used a FLT style frame and they were the FXR swing-arm models.
Aftermarket cars are a whole different animal. Most all have a leading or trailing swingarm with coil over shock suspension. They set up differently than the Harley cars.

Lonnie

Edited by Hack'n 8/17/2010 7:11 PM
Walter
Posted 8/17/2010 8:00 PM (#53217 - in reply to #53215)

Lonnie, thanks for the info. It seems to me as I look through this website you are quite knowledgeable and willing to help and I appreciate that. I'm a new SC guy - I really think the SC's are cool and am trying to get into it. I have a front-end wobble at low speeds (25-35MPH) - still trying to figure out at what specific MPH - It is enough though where you can't take hands off handlebar and I don't. When the SC was istalled they said the wobble is normal and see if you can get used to it or you can add a damper ( I really don't want toadd a damper, unless I have to) and from what I read so far in the website- not such a good idea anyway.
gnm109
Posted 8/17/2010 8:06 PM (#53218 - in reply to #53215)

Hack'n - 8/17/2010 5:08 PM

The Harley Sidecar Manuals only refer to HD sidecars, which are an unsprung three point mounted sidecar that does not attach to a Softtail without extensive custom modification of attachments.
The only non FLH/T bikes the TLE cars were attached to used a FLT style frame and they were the FXR swing-arm models.
Aftermarket cars are a whole different animal. Most all have a leading or trailing swingarm with coil over shock suspension. They set up differently than the Harley cars.

Lonnie

Gee Lonnie...my Harley sidecar has springs under the tub..........
Hack'n
Posted 8/18/2010 2:29 PM (#53234 - in reply to #49346)

Gee 109, ......It's still an unsprung chassis as you well know.
Only the banana boat is sprung all else is unsprung weight.

I think Walter was hoping the Harley Sidecar Manual would help him out but he seems to have a (sprung) CSC Champion GT sidecar on a Softtail which is a whole nother animal than an ElectraGlide/TLE rig.

My new Liberty has chrome springs under the tub AND full adjustable chassis suspension.

To each his own, Cheers,

Lonnie

(FLHX-Liberty 8-16-'10 007.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FLHX-Liberty 8-16-'10 007.jpg (620KB - 14 downloads)
deltasnook
Posted 8/18/2010 2:49 PM (#53235 - in reply to #49346)

Come on guys. No matter that Walter is hanging a Champion or Companion hack on his softtail, at least he's trying. I advised him to seek a sidecar school that would have some knowledgeable techs that may be able to tune him in and check with the Liberty folks about triple trees.

Shoot on that note, I may get rid of my Road King TLE setup and build an old 750 Honda with the rear section of an old Austin taxi bolted out to the right. Can't come out any worse than what Walter is trying to do. Remember, he's here for support and probably shouldn't be hammered on, yet. He'll do that on his own.
old iron
Posted 8/23/2010 6:54 PM (#53318 - in reply to #49346)

Dose anyone have any manuals for older harley's, say from the 50's or 60's? How about parts manuals?
gnm109
Posted 8/23/2010 7:11 PM (#53319 - in reply to #53318)

old iron - 8/23/2010 4:54 PM

Dose anyone have any manuals for older harley's, say from the 50's or 60's? How about parts manuals?

The ones for that era are extremely rare. The parts listings are usually found in the parts manual for the particular year of Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
kenjh
Posted 2/4/2011 11:00 PM (#55993 - in reply to #49346)

wow,glad my 54 fl doesn't have all that safety crap you guy's have my sidecar takes 30 minutes to hookup or remove including coffee time..granted no side breaks no lites..goes with no brains say's the wife..and harley won't tell me the right way the 32 commercial should be set up.. had to learn by trial and terror..
hdrghack
Posted 2/5/2011 7:22 AM (#55997 - in reply to #53318)

old iron - 8/23/2010 7:54 PM Dose anyone have any manuals for older harley's, say from the 50's or 60's? How about parts manuals?

I have some parts info for sidecars around those years parts what were you looking for specificly?

46u
Posted 2/5/2011 9:53 AM (#56004 - in reply to #55993)

kenjh - 2/5/2011 12:00 AM

wow,glad my 54 fl doesn't have all that safety crap you guy's have my sidecar takes 30 minutes to hookup or remove including coffee time..granted no side breaks no lites..goes with no brains say's the wife..and harley won't tell me the right way the 32 commercial should be set up.. had to learn by trial and terror..

I know what the brakes are like on a 54FL and if you do not have a brake on the side car makes for a very interesting ride. LOL I use to have a 1946UL and if it was not for the gears with out a sidecar I would never get it stopped. So with a side car you must have to start slowing down about 3 yards before you want to stop. The only thing the 54 had over my 46 is a little bigger front brake but still all mechanical.

How about post pictures of your ride please.
timo482
Posted 2/5/2011 9:57 AM (#56005 - in reply to #55997)

ive seen manuals from the 60's on ebay - especially in the last year after they stopped making them

to
46u
Posted 2/5/2011 10:07 AM (#56006 - in reply to #49346)

Most of the time on the older bikes the information for the sidecar is in the standard service manual. You can get just about all the service manuals from 1940 up in reprints. They never real had any service manuals till 1940 other then what they called shop dope. Now there are some that have compiled earlier manuals but never had them from the factory till 1940.
kenjh
Posted 2/5/2011 11:00 AM (#56011 - in reply to #49346)

nice to see others are into the old stuff..with my 54 ..I have disk brakes front and rear..standard Harley so only a little better then drum's!!!!!..as soon as I learn how to post /copy/paste///??/ I will get some pixtures up...you guy's amaze me with your trip'z and places you go ...looking forward to trying more road time...
46u
Posted 2/5/2011 11:09 AM (#56013 - in reply to #49346)

Here is my 46u I built out of pieces. Been in 12 shows won 22 awards been in 3 magazines and one news paper. It was my daily rider for years and I rode it on trips as long as 1,800 miles. I have built numerous old bikes that have been in magazines. I now have a 2002 Ultra I have ridden to all but five states excluding Hawaii for obvious reasons. See my map in all my listings. To post picture I think you will need a photo host.
Photobucket
Outlaw Biker March 1993

My ride now picture from when I rode to Alaska and back. Little over 10,000 miles in a month.
Photobucket

Edited by 46u 2/5/2011 11:11 AM
kenjh
Posted 2/5/2011 11:25 AM (#56015 - in reply to #49346)

wow.....I mean ..WOW !!!!...
hdrghack
Posted 2/5/2011 2:26 PM (#56022 - in reply to #56011)

kenjh - 2/5/2011 12:00 PM nice to see others are into the old stuff..with my 54 ..I have disk brakes front and rear..standard Harley so only a little better then drum's!!!!!..as soon as I learn how to post /copy/paste///??/ I will get some pixtures up...you guy's amaze me with your trip'z and places you go ...looking forward to trying more road time...

Kenjh 

First let me say it would be better/safer to have brakes on the sidecar BUT what an older sidecar jockey told me that helps a bit is when you are comming to a stop slightly move the bars to the right NOT to turn, but what it does is aids in slowing the sidecar wheel speed down a bit,because there isn't a brake on the sidecar wheel to slow it down, I did this for a good 10 years with a 72 flh/hd car that had no brakes on the car .

Not really the ideal thing but it helps............AGAIN only move the bars enough to keep yourself traveling straight ideally you should install some brakes   

big al
Posted 5/13/2011 9:36 AM (#57804 - in reply to #49346)

If this manual is still available, please send a file to apfarnsworth@gmail.com. Thanks very much, Alan
Baffler1
Posted 5/17/2011 5:54 PM (#57903 - in reply to #49346)

if you are still emailing copies i would like one - wrbaffi@msn.com - thanks
sturgis1982
Posted 5/19/2011 2:21 PM (#57985 - in reply to #49346)

New Memeber here,
Hello I am contemplating a sidecar rider 30+ yrs sidecar 0 minutes Could use a copy got a 99 FLHTC would be nice to know what I am in for,sounds like a guy gots to know guessing could be a HUGE mistake.
Thanks in advance, E-Mail scootaro ( @at) yahoo.com (remove ( at) please

Edited by sturgis1982 5/19/2011 2:25 PM
sturgis1982
Posted 5/23/2011 2:46 PM (#58047 - in reply to #57985)

Got it Thank-you !!!
kenjh
Posted 5/23/2011 6:26 PM (#58053 - in reply to #49346)

I have had my side car for over 30 years and put less then 5000 miles on it ..mostly around the island and a couple of runs to Calgary and Edmonton..to see someone cover most of the states and rack up untold miles ..amazes me..
onahog
Posted 9/28/2011 2:02 AM (#60654 - in reply to #49346)

Hi..Id like a copy emailed to me please..
onahog@yahoo.ca
Thx..Hb
hog.ridn.papa
Posted 1/21/2012 9:11 AM (#62553 - in reply to #49346)

if you have time I would greatly appreciate a copy of the manual. I found a 06 Road King with matching 06 TLE... love it... more driving on it than my Ultra... may need a newer larger hack???? but that is later...

hog.ridn.papa@gmail.com

thank you...
terry
onebike2many
Posted 1/29/2012 12:50 PM (#62714 - in reply to #49346)

If the offer is still good, I just got a 96 FLHR with a 96 Harley side car and would appreciate a copy.

Thanks

teddoran@hotmail.com
teresa
Posted 4/23/2012 1:56 PM (#64446 - in reply to #49346)

Please send me tha Harley Sidecar manual if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Thankyou!
Driverswanted
Posted 5/9/2012 1:39 AM (#64700 - in reply to #49346)

Hopefully these manuals are still available. If it's not too much trouble, please send a copy to: driverswanted_77@hotmail.com. Thanks!
Dogg
Posted 6/16/2012 7:08 AM (#65261 - in reply to #49346)

I would very much like this sent to me, if it is not too much trouble. hoggdogg2@msn.com
Retired Rick
Posted 6/26/2012 12:19 PM (#65441 - in reply to #49346)

I would greatly appreciate a copy of the Harley manual if it is still available. Ontheroad4849@gmail.com
07Roadie
Posted 7/25/2012 10:21 PM (#65917 - in reply to #49346)

Kinda late but since the thread is still going...i'd like a copy, send to: bill.mcgraw@yahoo.com
eddpac
Posted 10/17/2012 11:46 PM (#67644 - in reply to #65917)

Hi, if the offer is still good, I would appreciate a copy also, Thanks pacilo@yahoo.com
freaky
Posted 11/16/2012 9:03 PM (#68132 - in reply to #49346)

If this is still out there to be had, please send me one to: jlshomo@comcast.net as I just got me a 2003 Ultra with sidecar. Thanks much!!
dawg gone
Posted 11/24/2012 11:03 AM (#68224 - in reply to #49346)

please send trying to put a mag 0n 98 hack
dawg gone
Posted 11/24/2012 11:28 AM (#68226 - in reply to #49346)

sorry about that
apbtdale@yahoocom
PetDlr
Posted 2/21/2013 1:38 AM (#69715 - in reply to #49346)

I could use a copy if anyone is still sharing.
psgroch@live.com
UDEJEHO
Posted 3/28/2013 11:54 AM (#70617 - in reply to #49346)

Could anyone send me a copy? planning to do some project with my Sporster. ady.montesino7@gmail.com
Thank you
timo482
Posted 3/28/2013 11:56 AM (#70618 - in reply to #70617)

the manual only works for touring frames. softail, sportser, or dyna frames you are on your own. there IS a manual for fxr frames but those are the rarest

to
UDEJEHO
Posted 3/28/2013 12:13 PM (#70619 - in reply to #49346)

Ok Timo482 can you still send it? I ppreciate it.
timo482
Posted 3/28/2013 12:16 PM (#70620 - in reply to #70619)

i dont have the online version - i have the printed version for my sidecar and bike. there is a pdf version floating around

to
Capt Jon
Posted 5/20/2013 7:31 PM (#71639 - in reply to #49346)

I could realy us the Sidecar Manual. I just attached a Texas Sidecar to my 09 Road King and I need help. Whomever you are THANKS
Joyce
Posted 5/20/2013 8:15 PM (#71640 - in reply to #71639)

I can email it to you but it will be of no use unless you are mounting a Harley Sidecar. I do need an email address because it is a very large pdf file
Capt Jon
Posted 5/21/2013 10:31 AM (#71645 - in reply to #49346)

Joyce
Please send to captjon@reagan.com
Thanks
Capt Jon 8488
claude #3563
Posted 5/24/2013 11:04 PM (#71687 - in reply to #71645)

Capt Jon....The Harley Manual as Joyce mentioned will not really apply across the board to your combination. Mounting system is different and the harley sidecars had a rigid suspension. Still a decent read fro you but not gospel by any means.
Feel free to give me a call if you wish I would be glad to try and help by phone. (570) 837 5120 Freedom Sidecars.com .No, I won't try and sell you a bunch of stuff just willing to help if possible.
You may also want to call Bob Darden at Texas sidecars.(903) 640-2149. Say hello from Claude if you do

Claude
See us on facebook FREEDOM SIDECARS

Edited by claude #3563 5/24/2013 11:07 PM
RichardS
Posted 6/3/2013 10:16 AM (#71897 - in reply to #49346)

I have a couple Harleys but am looking for a sidecar for my 2003 Ultra and would TREMENDOUSLY appreciate having this manual ahead of time!!!

If anyone can help me out please use this email:

beatleguitar@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!!!!
vcottongim
Posted 10/9/2013 1:59 AM (#74439 - in reply to #71640)

Joyce,
I'm new to the sidecar game. I just found a H-D sidecar for my Road King and would love to have a pdf copy of the service manual. Please email to vcottongim@gmail.com

Thanks,
Vince
EGO
Posted 12/12/2013 1:33 PM (#75224 - in reply to #49346)

Hey, Joyce
Please send to rus.free.rider@gmail.com
Thanks
Denis
chromepony
Posted 6/15/2014 10:15 AM (#78262 - in reply to #49346)

Please send.
Thanks

chromepony_02@yahoo.com
simpletruthfarm
Posted 6/18/2014 6:31 PM (#78327 - in reply to #49346)

I would love a copy of the PDF too. Simpletruthfarm@icloud.com

I have a 2009 H-D FLHP (road king police) I want to add a TLE to. Will also be looking for a TLE to add preferably the police TLE.
hdrdr
Posted 8/3/2016 12:36 AM (#90179 - in reply to #49346)

I'm thinking about adding a TLE Ultra to my 2011 Ultra Classic. If it's still available, a copy of the PDF will be useful.

Thank you,
g.hult@att.net
Otisca
Posted 3/14/2017 6:42 PM (#92756 - in reply to #49346)

Hi

I am in dire need of a copy pdf version of the sidecar manual for a harley ultra classic Sidecar with amp and speakers. The sidecar is a 2003 anniversary edition could someone PLEASE email me a copy or send me a link. Here is my email addy otisca@hotmail.com
Thanks so much
jandrews@papadocs.co
Posted 3/15/2017 9:33 PM (#92764 - in reply to #92756)

I have the manuals but on my shelf not on line. let me know if you cant find the info on line.

joihn
Otisca
Posted 3/16/2017 8:47 AM (#92765 - in reply to #49346)

John
Would it be possible to scan the pages with the wiring diagrams and email it to me? Otisca@hotmail.com
jandrews@papadocs.co
Posted 3/16/2017 10:23 PM (#92777 - in reply to #92765)

I will try to do that this week end. I have several manuals. I dont have a scanner but I will find some way to get it to you.

john
Otisca
Posted 3/17/2017 7:14 AM (#92778 - in reply to #49346)

Thank you very much
jandrews@papadocs.co
Posted 3/18/2017 9:31 PM (#92793 - in reply to #92778)

i sent it to your email hope you got it

john
Otisca
Posted 3/18/2017 9:35 PM (#92794 - in reply to #49346)

When did you send it? Nothing yet
Otisca@hotmail.com
jandrews@papadocs.co
Posted 3/18/2017 11:11 PM (#92796 - in reply to #49346)

2pm
Otisca
Posted 3/19/2017 8:55 AM (#92799 - in reply to #49346)

Got them. Thank you very much
Now looking for someone that has a manual for sale 2nd hand for a 2003 sidecar
I answered your email.
Bob
davet
Posted 3/20/2017 5:27 PM (#92820 - in reply to #49346)

There are quite a few for sale on eBay. Lowest price I saw was about $35.

Edited by davet 3/20/2017 5:35 PM