Are some bikes/engine types better tugs than others?
Glenfiddich
Posted 5/9/2010 5:35 PM (#51179)
Subject: Are some bikes/engine types better tugs than others?

I ride a Beemer R12GS. Before that a Triumph Tiger, and before that various Hondas and Yamahas over the years. While I've test ridden the big V-twins, the cruiser style just isn't my cup of tea. Still, the low end torque of the V is pretty impressive! I'm thinking that might make for a better tug.

Comments?

Pete
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 5/9/2010 7:20 PM (#51181 - in reply to #51179)
Subject: Re: Are some bikes/engine types better tugs than others?

Boxers, V-Twins, V and inline 4's are all good choices for an all around touring tug. Poppers, vertical twins and triples are fine for some usages. You'll even see an occasional flat 6 out there (lol).
It mostly depends on what you feel comfortable with and your style of riding. Larger heavier rigs are better suited for touring comfort and hauling lots of stuff. Middleweights are more fun for dual sport and off road duty. Poppers and scooters are great for urban use.

Lonnie
SidecarMike
Posted 5/10/2010 1:44 PM (#51207 - in reply to #51181)
Subject: Re: Are some bikes/engine types better tugs than others?

Over the years, I've had a lot of problems with overheating and stretching chains.  I now try to stick to only water cooled and driveshafts, preferably attached to 6 cylinder Boxers.  .
papasmurf37
Posted 5/28/2010 7:25 AM (#51518 - in reply to #51179)
Subject: RE: Are some bikes/engine types better tugs than others?

HI PETE:
Been sidecar Nut 40+ yrs.[4 rigs]; have GL1500; Love it. IF I HAD to pick another tug , t' would be a good, used 2,294cc Triumph Rocket 3, as Mama/yours truly ain't lightweights, she rides behind me; we haul 250 lbs. of camping gear on our ' spur-of-the-moment ', unplanned odysseys all over New England. My 2 cents.
TTFN & RIDE SAFE.....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH