California Licencing
alcatrazhack
Posted 8/4/2010 11:44 AM (#52916)
Subject: California Licencing

I am planning to let my misses to takeover my Kawasaki outfit. She currently has no drivers license. She does not plan to learn to drive a car in the future. Is it possible for her to take her driving license test using the outfit? Notice that in California driving a three wheeler only requires a class C (car) license.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 8/4/2010 1:13 PM (#52918 - in reply to #52916)
Subject: Re: California Licencing

Check with the DMV.
The standard auto drivers licensing tests will probably apply.

L.
gpers2
Posted 8/4/2010 10:54 PM (#52928 - in reply to #52916)
Subject: RE: California Licencing

Why not have your spouse take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Training? Pass that and DMV test is then just the written version, no vehicle involved. I am not a lawyer, but a motorcycle endorsement should cover riding a m/c which just happens to have a sidecar. The statute does not preclude having the m/c license. Some states require sidecar training. CA does not, but training is a good idea whether it be in a car or on a bike.

I know Doug Bingham worked real hard to get the sidecars exempt from the m/c endorsement, as it allows for more people to enjoy the sidecar experience.

Let us know what DMV says.
g
Motohack
Posted 1/20/2011 5:08 PM (#55666 - in reply to #52928)
Subject: RE: California Licencing

gpers2 - 8/5/2010 9:54 PM Why not have your spouse take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Training? Pass that and DMV test is then just the written version, no vehicle involved. I am not a lawyer, but a motorcycle endorsement should cover riding a m/c which just happens to have a sidecar. The statute does not preclude having the m/c license. Some states require sidecar training. CA does not, but training is a good idea whether it be in a car or on a bike. I know Doug Bingham worked real hard to get the sidecars exempt from the m/c endorsement, as it allows for more people to enjoy the sidecar experience. Let us know what DMV says. g

This is good advice. I used to teach the RSS and ERC classes for CMSP. They don't cover anything about riding sidecar rigs, but motorcycle skills are addressed from an accident avoidance perspective.