Hey Peglegstrick!(re: shifter)

Posted 5/9/2004 9:21 PM (#3360)
Subject: Hey Peglegstrick!(re: shifter)

Hey Peglegsrick, I talked to a friend to day, and he had a great idea. I don't know if you've considered it, but but I thought it was brilliant.

He's going to make a shifter arm, and mount the clutch right on the handle. Then, all I have to do is "squeeze and shift". Simple, easy, cheap and safe. No more "cross-over" shifting, and that's a good thing. I mean, it works for me, but it could be a major hinderence in a tight spot.

Now, why didn't I think of that??
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 5/10/2004 7:41 AM (#3361 - in reply to #3360)
Subject: RE: Hey Peglegstrick!(re: shifter)

Tiastar,
What I have planned to do is put a 1" dia. rod threaded for my shifter (I am using a police style shifter, frame mounted, that comes up beside the left gas tank), and put the type clutch handle on it that mounts to a handlebar and does not have the switches made into it (the panhead harleys and earler harleys had them). That way when you shift you can keep your hand on the throttle and not have to cross over with your right hand to shift. The only drawback in doing this with your bike would be converting it back to a foot shift for your husband. The cable would need to be shortened for the handshift and it would not be long enough to mount to the original handlebar lever mount. The plus side is that tankshifts are too cool! Leave it that way and show some old school class! Sounds like you have some very good people behind you helping you along, that is what this sport is all about, people helping people!
Let me know how it works out!
Keep your face in the wind and the tires between the ditches,
Pegleg Strick

Posted 5/27/2004 6:37 AM (#3611 - in reply to #3361)
Subject: RE: Hey Peglegstrick!(re: shifter)

Hey Tiastar,
How's the new rig working out? Finally got mine sorted out and on the road, love it! Feels good to be back in the wind again! Have you put the modified clutch/shifter on yet and if so how's it working out?

Peglegstrick