Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "No one ever won a war by dying for his country, you win a war by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" George S. Patton
- (Added by: Deacon328)

Side car mounting
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 7/5/2004 3:37 PM (#4022)
Subject: Side car mounting

just got a 1983 californina side car, i want to mount it to a 1996 vulcan 1500 classic, I have all the mounting arms, i need to know were the mounting points are and i may need new end brackets for my frame configuration.

Any suggestions on this ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 7/5/2004 8:42 PM (#4024 - in reply to #4022)
Subject: RE: Side car mounting

Expert

Chucko,
If it is a 1983 model it still has the small ball and "Flower" lower mounts unless it has been upgraded to the later (after 1988) mounts. Do not use these ball mounts. The earlier Californias had these and torsion bar (strap) suspension. The torsion straps and bushing should also be replaced or upgraded for safety's sake.
Check with CSC or Dauntless Motors for the upgrades and any other mountings you may need.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar

Posted 8/9/2004 9:55 PM (#4395 - in reply to #4022)

I'm kinda jumping in on Chucko's discussion, but I bought an '86 Suzook Cavalcade with a California sidecar. This was put together in 86 or so, owner then died and it set for years like new. But the mounts and torsion suspension you speak of...what do I look for there? I would assume it is an 86 or so car. Tell me more.
Vince
Hack'n
Posted 8/10/2004 1:20 PM (#4407 - in reply to #4395)
Subject: RE: California Side car mounts

Expert

Vince,
If it's got the small (marble sized) lower ball mounts with extruded steel "flower" collets, it's pre 1988. It will also have torsion bar (strap) suspension.
The the threads in the flower collets have been known to strip and release the sidecar from the cycle at times. This was troublesome, to say the least, so the later mounts were upgraded by using a 5/8"x5/8" Heim joint (rod end) and clevis mounting. Very much stronger and if the joint did fail the 5/8" bolt would still hold it captive in the housing, loose but still connected to the bike.
The other weakness after many miles and years, was the torsional suspension which was replaced with a conventional trailing link swing-arm with adjustable coil over shock suspension.
California Sidecar and Dauntless Motors carry upgrades and some OEM type parts for the older California models.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@oal.com
JayDauntless
Posted 8/11/2004 7:49 PM (#4424 - in reply to #4022)

Extreme Veteran

We are working on mounting kits for the Vulcan 1500's. Just finished the Nomad and will work on the other two frame versions in the next couple of weeks. All the 1500 Vulcan's should take the same front mounts which we now have.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software