Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Riders Wanted -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I can't believe how incredulous I am.
- (Added by: dave)

The North and there-abouts July 2012
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Riders WantedMessage format

drbike
Posted 2/12/2012 10:27 PM (#63060)
Subject: The North and there-abouts July 2012

New User

This post was originally posted over on CURD and is also an open invite on DSBC. This is a basic invite to visit my part of the world....we will likely be joined by a few guys riding regular sissy two wheeled bikes (poor blokes, yet to see the truth). If your interested in joining the loosely connected group welcome aboard send PM or chat away here.

This group is not on a speed tour, its a meandering relaxed movement. Mileage depending on weather, sights and bugs... or general mood of participants.

Hack monkey Jo is turning 16 and ready to ride, and as always ready to travel.

Planning a trip closer to our home this year, planned for safety and fun. As she is a new driver and my goal is very much one of coming home with all participants in one piece and happy.

This is intended as an open invite if any of the USCA brotherhood want to come along, for all some or part of the trip. As is usual nothing is set in stone.

Plan total trip about 1 month
Starting from home Houston BC CANADA to Queen Charlotte Islands, doing a little back road driving, very little traffic and all the roads are back roads. We bicycled there a few years ago, it was super nice with tons to see next to no traffic. Plan on driving on the beach if at all possible and a bunch of the really back back roads to explore. Likely 5 or 6 days total, depending on the boat and all that.
From here we head north via the Lava beds into the Nass maybe into Kinkolith, and or Kitsalt depending on the weather.
Northeast from here to Hyder and the glaciers then North to Dease Lake
Time permitting into Telegraph Creek (neat road and good sights) with a taste of the gold rush and some real sweet artifacts, lots of history
From Dease, northward to Watson, from here it gets into a list of places but basically the Campbell, the Canol Dempster and the Haul road, The top of the world road, very likely the Haines Skagway, Whitehorse loop. This includes visits to Dawson, Keno, Deadhorse, Inuvik and others.

On my last trip to this part of the north I camped in registered campgrounds, mostly as it gives some degree of bear protection which is a real issue in the north did motels once in a while and bush camped a couple of times. Cost of northern travel has come way down in the last 20 years and for my money the fuel seems a lot better than in the south. For the most part expect kind of what you would pay for stuff in the rest of Canada.
On previous trips in the proposed region we have had near zero temps, to above 30 degrees on the Canadian scale, near snow type rain, hail, good roads and bad roads, loads of wildlife, huge cinnamon buns, and good times.

I did much the same trip 3 or 4 years ago on a KLR in about 10 days we did much of the preceding and felt relaxed and unrushed, no huge days and all was well. So even though it looks like a lot a month should be loads of time to get in and out of the far North loads of time to explore and . Departure date near the end of June, as soon a school gets out.

Jo will be on the Ural, Dad on the BMW hack and one KLR maybe a V-Strom, this number has gone up by two in the last few days......Jo and Dr on hacks two KLR's and 2 V-Strom's

Top of the page Bottom of the page
SwampFox
Posted 2/13/2012 7:39 AM (#63063 - in reply to #63060)
Subject: RE: The North and there-abouts July 2012

Expert

Wow! What a great trip. And introduction to driving the Ural.  Wish I could tag along, but I plan to be working away at the office down here in the hot Gulf South. Y'all travel safe.

Please provide us updates, reports and pics.  Or, better yet, document the journey for publication in The Sidecarist.  It'd be great to hear both you and Jo's comments. Smile

Reardan Tom
Posted 2/13/2012 9:57 AM (#63065 - in reply to #63060)
Subject: Re: The North and there-abouts July 2012

Elite Veteran

I agree with Lee- the making of a great Sidecarist article for those of us who don't experience it first hand. Sounds like a great trip!!
gpers2
Posted 2/13/2012 5:17 PM (#63077 - in reply to #63060)

Extreme Veteran

My spirit is willing, but I don't think my sissy 6" clearance rig can handle what sounds like a fabulous adventure. Keep us posted. We will want pictures and an article for The Sidecarist!

Safe driving to all.
gail
wingit11
Posted 2/15/2012 7:34 PM (#63127 - in reply to #63060)
Subject: Re: The North and there-abouts July 2012

Would love to do that trip. That is a great part of the country to explore. I lived in Kitimat for several years and have been thru the lava beds before Hwy 37 was paved from Kitwanga up to Hyder. And yes I have been "Hyderized" a few times. Sounds like a fantastic trip. Let us all know how it goes.
tomhack_1
Posted 3/17/2012 5:45 PM (#63850 - in reply to #63060)

Would it be OK to join in for some of the middle part of the journey? I can't take the entire month off from work, but could take a week to join in on the way east the head home. I'm a few hours south of Winnipeg so would base my journey on that.
Tom
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software