Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: When you are confused, I will use little words.
- (Added by: dave)

new to group
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 7/16/2004 12:13 PM (#4134)
Subject: new to group

Hello, I recently bought a used Velorex 562 and plan to rig it to my 75 Honda CB550K1. I have had it in my mind for sometime to get a sidecar, it seems like it will be loads of fun. My plans are to use it mainly on weekends when I am at our hunting camp, to putt around mountain roads, paved and dirt-gravel. Mostly see using it to haul kids or the dog, but an adult from time to time, to explore back roads and maybe spot light, at night, for deer.
The sidecar needs some work (1980 Manufacture date) and my old Honda has set for 12 years, so it's gonna be awhile till everything is ready, but I thought this may be a cheap and good way to get into "sidecaring". If it is all I hope it will be , maybe I'll move on to bigger and better rigs.
I am interested in any thoughts you all may have and I'm sure I will need some guidance as time goes by. As I said It will be awhile before my rig is ready, as I own a woodworking shop that restores old woodies from the 30's and 40's and my customers work has to come before my own.
Anyway first off, can anyone suggest a good source for velorex parts, and any hints on prepping and painting fiberglass? Well gotta get back to the Woodies, look forward to hearing from you.
Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 7/16/2004 1:24 PM (#4135 - in reply to #4134)
Subject: RE: new to group

Expert

We are a Velorex dealer. If you have a 562 or 700 model of Velorex we can help you with info on mounting it and parts availability. There is little around for the older 560 models, however.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Posted 7/18/2004 8:23 PM (#4147 - in reply to #4134)

For the 'glass work, look at sail boat repair websites. Same concerns with weight and flexing. There's also some good info on prepping gel-coat for paint.

Posted 7/19/2004 8:14 AM (#4150 - in reply to #4134)

Welcome to the group.........it's legal to spotlight deer in Pa.?
Hack'n
Posted 7/19/2004 12:33 PM (#4155 - in reply to #4150)
Subject: RE: Spotlighting

Expert

Skin,
The time approved sportsman-like process of spotlighting deer is legal anywhere, if one doesn't get caught. As is using dynamite for bait when fishing. lol

Posted 7/19/2004 2:03 PM (#4159 - in reply to #4134)

Hack'n, key sentence you got there is......"if'n you don't get caught".
SidecarMike
Posted 7/19/2004 5:45 PM (#4165 - in reply to #4159)

Expert

Actually spotlighting is legal most places, it's quite popular here in Wisconsin, as long as you have no weapons with you.

Posted 7/19/2004 7:18 PM (#4166 - in reply to #4134)

I think the term you Guys are thinking of is "Jacklighting" or that is what my Grandpap called it. He worked for the Penna. Game commission for years. Spotlighting is legal here accept in the regular deer season. Jacklighting is where you sneak out at night and pop a 22 between the deer's eye and ear, frowned upon by the Game Commission. My Grandpap had a sidecar rig in his youth, A Harley. I would guess sometime in the 1920's. I have a great picture of him on his rig and if I can figure out how I'll post it.
Lonnie, I sent you an email at Nwsidecar. I need brake parts,and am interested in a brush guard.
I'm not sure what gel coat is, the paint was peeling off of my sidecar so I started sanding it. I got down to what looks like Bondo. Can I prime it and paint it with Laquer? The bottom half is fine. Oh by the way it says Velorex on the frame tag and gives a manufacture date of 1980
Well hope you all have a great evening.
Tom
Hack'n
Posted 7/19/2004 11:50 PM (#4171 - in reply to #4166)

Expert

Your e-mail didn't go through to me.

I have all the brake parts from the backing plate only to the whole works.

Also brush guards in stock.

The body is fiberglass cloth and resin, I wouldn't sand into the cloth itself if you can avoid it, that would weaken the body. It can be finished just like an automobile, with lacquer, enamel or base coat-clear coat with urethane.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Posted 7/28/2004 7:46 PM (#4244 - in reply to #4134)

Hi Lonnie, could you give me a price on the brake parts. When I bought the sidecar the fellow I bought it from said he never used the brakes, after I pulled the wheel I found out why, there was nothing there. I have the backer plate and that is it. Also I saw from one of your other post, the brush guard is $35.00. Is that correct and how do I order one?
I haven't had much time to work on the sidecar, too busy making wood for 46 Ford woodies, but I've been dreaming up alot of ideas. Maybe some nice Quarter ribbon mahogany panels instead of the rubber ones and maybe some nice wood accents, you know, alot of wood lieing around here.
Thanks,
Tom
Hack'n
Posted 7/28/2004 11:01 PM (#4245 - in reply to #4244)
Subject: RE: Velorex parts

Expert

Tom,
e-mail me at nwsidecar@aol.com for your brake parts and what ever else you need for your hack. That way we don't clog up the forums.

Lonnie
Bob Madigan
Posted 8/8/2004 10:19 AM (#4371 - in reply to #4244)

Veteran

and be sure to post some pics of your "Woodie" sidecar when it's finished. You never know... you might just find yourself in a new product line in your shop! (think about a Ural chair with wood panels! WOW! A classic!)Welcome to our insanity.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software