Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: i got a lot of help when i was younger as i never used to be able to do nomal things like other people till i had my third foot removed now i can stand on my own two feet
- (Added by: dave)

oil temp for 2002 Harley Electra glide with hack
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 8/1/2004 9:33 PM (#4278)
Subject: oil temp for 2002 Harley Electra glide with hack

Hello, I have a 2002 FLHT with a HD hack. What should the oil temp be running with synthetic in it? thanks. Bob
currently running about 220-225.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 8/2/2004 11:38 AM (#4291 - in reply to #4278)
Subject: RE: oil temp for 2002 Harley Electra glide with hack

Bob
Yup, thats about right, burn d legs. LOL
While I was parking bikes on Mt Washington, during Laconia Bike Week at the Ride to the Sky, H-D/Ultra/Hack, parked. He had the H-D Fan Kit, Asked him how he liked it, he said it worked great. H-D Fan Kit PN 91550-00 Chrome $379.95, PN 91550-00A Black $349.95. Another H-D (no Hack) had his thermostat for his oil cooler mounted below the frame and caught it on one of the many rocks sticking out on the Rock Pile. He pulled up along side me, I noticed the oil pumping out onto the pavement(at the edge of the parking area) had him pull it off to the side. Loaned him my tools. He had broken one of the 4 tubes off the thermostat, he and his friends managed to jury rig it enough to get it back down the mountain. A lot of the H-D Police bikes have the Fan Kit also. Have some friends with Police Specials, they have also installed the fan kit.
On my '88 I had taken an oil cooler 16Lx3Hx2D out of a Mercedes Benze deisel car at the junk yard(it was mounted alongside the radiator). I mounted it on the front cross bar of the hack, thermostat on front Brace. Did the trick.
Don't do any city riding where I live now, haven't found the need for either oil cooler or a fan, mostly open road riding.
Ceramic Chaps work great, keeping the heat off your legs.

Edited by Wiskers 8/2/2004 11:43 AM
Hack'n
Posted 8/2/2004 4:40 PM (#4300 - in reply to #4278)
Subject: RE: oil temp for 2002 Harley Electra glide with hack

Expert

Your oil temp will remain about the same with synthetic. Where the synthetic pays off is when you go way up in temp. It won't break down like petroeum based oil does. What I like is that you can use it (Amsoil anyway) in The engine, transmission and primary.
I used to run an oil cooler on my Evos for Sturgis, Oakland Bay area rush hours and such. I don't know how much they helped but I never blew up a motor from overheating.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software