Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the United States government and I'm here to help.' >Ronald Reagan<

Duna on a R90/6?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

copperhead
Posted 8/6/2004 9:51 PM (#4359)
Subject: Duna on a R90/6?

hi all,

I have been interested in putting a light weight sidecar on my 1974 BMW R90/6. I have not driven a sidecar before, although I have been a passenger in some Ural's and a BMW racing kneeler. I was thinking of a Velorex, bit reciently saw a Duna (Hungarian?) and fell in love with the looks. Are these pratical for a 90/6? Ar they hard to find in decient shape?

This will be my first sidecar, and I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Erich
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 8/7/2004 2:03 AM (#4363 - in reply to #4359)
Subject: RE: Duna on a R90/6?

Expert

The 562 Velorex is a good buy at $1,849.00 plus shipping. They now have sturdier suspension with a 20mm axle which is a 25% increase in size. We include all the accessories and after sale tech support with ours.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com
copperhead
Posted 8/8/2004 7:04 AM (#4370 - in reply to #4359)

Thank's for the quick reply Hack'n,

One of our vintage club members has a 562 on his Guzzi Mille GT, and he said it was great for the money. I am leaning towards them since they come with some nice accessories that are additions on other models (URAL), and they are new (compared to Duna).

There is also a former Ural dealer down the street from me and a racer who builds his own chairs. It is nice to have some experienced people near by, but I have a lot to learn still. I am going to order a copy of "Driving a sidecar outfit" this week.

BTW: Can anyone tell me what are considered middleweight bikes and heavyweight bikes as far as hacks are concerned? My 74 90/6 was a heavyweight back in 74, but is probably a lightweight by some of these newer cruisers. A reciently had someone in Ohio tell me that it was nice to see someone touring on such a small bike. 900cc BMW? Small? Oh well.

Thanks,
Erich

>The 562 Velorex is a good buy at $1,849.00 plus shipping. They now have >sturdier suspension with a 20mm axle which is a 25% increase in size. We >include all the accessories and after sale tech support with ours.
JayDauntless
Posted 8/9/2004 10:37 AM (#4385 - in reply to #4359)
Subject: RE: Duna on a R90/6?

For the /6 BMW you really should have a sub frame as the BMW frame tends to be a bit on the thin side to simply "clamp" a sidecar to.
We make sub frames for these bikes that will work with the Velorex sidecar as do several other companies. We also have sidecars. My first choice would be a Ural sidecar for your bike. I ran a Ural on my own R100/7 for a few years. We sell new Ural sidecars for $2450 with a windshield. We only have one in stock right now and will not have more for at least a week as we are waiting on the importer to recieve the next container load.
The Duna is a real neat looking sidecar. Like the Velorex if you run one of these you will need ballist as they are very light. You might want to have who ever is going to be your passenger get in and out of each of the sidecars you are thinking of if possible as some sidecars can be a bit hard to get in and out of.
We also have clamps that move your stock forks forward by 2 1/2 inches. This set up makes for very light steering with the sidecar. Of course we also have leading links. Links start at $1650 while the clamps are only $525. The down side to the clamps is that they do not work with frame mounted fairings.
For the /6 you can run flat profile tires. Metzler make the K block in a 4:00 18 for the rear and Avon makes the sidecar triple duty in a 3:50 19
Let me know if I can be of any help.
You might also want to either take a sidecar class www.esc.org or get a copy of the book "Driving a sidecar outfit"
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
www.dauntlessmotors.com
copperhead
Posted 8/10/2004 7:08 AM (#4403 - in reply to #4359)

Thanks Jay,

I had heard about subframes for the BMW's, am planning on going that route when I do get a chair. The leading link forks are a possible future addition.

As of this time, my passenger has only been in a Ural chair, she liked it, liked the Ural rig all together. The Owner also had a sweet R90/2 hybrid 60/2 hack with a 90/6 motor and other bits. Realy nice, wish I could afford to do something like that. That is as long as the original motor was shot, I am not a big fan of splitting up a runner.

I am still looking and gathering information on sidecars. I probably won't purchase one until later this fall, unless a deal comes along.

Erich

>For the /6 BMW you really should have a sub frame as the BMW frame tends to >be a bit on the thin side to simply "clamp" a sidecar to.

>You might also want to either take a sidecar class www.esc.org or get a copy >of the book "Driving a sidecar outfit"
>Jay Giese
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software