Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Laugh and the world laughs with you. Snore and you sleep alone."
- (Added by: tronairweldor)

Two rigs, need advice, especially on sidecar comfort
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 8/8/2004 10:47 AM (#4372)
Subject: Two rigs, need advice, especially on sidecar comfort

I would appreciate advice on two rigs, with special attention to the comfort and ease of getting into and out of the sidecars. The first is a 1998 Hondo Shadow (1100 cc 15,000 miles) with a motorvation spyder sidecar. The second, a 1989 Goldwing (50,000 miles) with hitchhiker sidecar. Two other questions are is the hitchhiker still being made (and if not, is this a big consideration), and how important is reverse gear on a rig (the Goldwing has reverse). Thanks in advance.

Neil

Edited by nmurphy 8/8/2004 10:49 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 8/8/2004 4:43 PM (#4381 - in reply to #4372)
Subject: RE: Two rigs, need advice, especially on sidecar comfort

Neil
Answers to your Reverse Questions are here:
http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/thread-view.asp?threadid=1057&posts=...
Hack'n
Posted 8/9/2004 1:36 PM (#4386 - in reply to #4372)

Expert

The Spyder is a fine hack, not the easiest to get in and out of, especially for a heavy person or one with limited upper body strength.

I haven't owned or worked with the Hitchhiker, so do not have an opinion on these or whether they are still in production.

I have had only one large bike/sidecar combo with reverse gear.(Roadking/Spyder) and have mounted sidecars for others on many. I have used the reverse, maybe twice. On a tall heavy bike like the GL, I can see where it may come in handy for the short of leg if they wish not to get off and push backward, but for most it's not worth the extra bucks for the few times it will be of use. Usually, one can park facing a way out just like a solo bike. If one has a physical limitation, then naturally any device that would overcome that is worth the cost, if reasonably priced.
herwing
Posted 8/9/2004 4:03 PM (#4389 - in reply to #4372)

Veteran

Okay, I can't stand it, I have to voice my opinion on this reverse issue! I'm a woman, but I'm not a tiny woman and I consider myself to be fairly strong. I started my sidehacking advertures on a 1200 Goldwing with no reverse. And of course, I learned to be mindful of where I parked it. But, it always seemed like some jerk managed to mess up my plans. Now, I have the same Friendship II, California sidecar on a 1500 Goldwing with reverse. Most times, I still park so that I don't have to use the reverse, but I know that I've got it if I need it. And, unless, you have someone to push you, it's reeeeally nice not to have to worry about being able to get out of a parking situation. Of course, my 1500 is a large bike and I know that there are smaller sidecars than mine, so a smaller bike with a smaller sidecar might be easier to manhandle than my bike, but I never want to be without reverse again. Call me a sissy if you want to, as I tell my son, "I'm a girl, I am a sissy." But being tuff isn't always being smart (he,he)!!!

Connie
Fly
Posted 8/9/2004 5:59 PM (#4391 - in reply to #4372)

Extreme Veteran

hitchhiker was sold in the mid ninties. the new owner never did anything with it. do you know what year hitchhiker you have? can you post pics? i have a 90 & a 93 they have different suspension,fender mounting and ease of entry and exit.

fly

Posted 8/9/2004 6:24 PM (#4392 - in reply to #4372)

1984 Hitchhiker

Fly
Posted 8/9/2004 10:35 PM (#4396 - in reply to #4372)

Extreme Veteran

are you sure it's an 84 and not a 94? looks like my 93. i got it used but have the paper work for it. earlier models had an air shock mounted between the body and fender. your fender looks to be mounted to the sidecar body. the seat and windshield are not stock.
fly
claude #3563
Posted 8/10/2004 1:27 AM (#4401 - in reply to #4389)

Expert

One word of warning on parking a rig....On a one way street I parked the outfit in a parking place (not parrallel to the street) by backing it in so I could get back out easily.(no reverse) Would you believe I got a parking ticket for this due to the angled parking slots on the one way street.Should probably have went to court to explain but I just paid the fine.
Hack'n
Posted 8/10/2004 12:44 PM (#4406 - in reply to #4401)

Expert

Welcome back Claude,
I hope you are back up to snuff after your recent overhaul.
A riding buddy went with me and another friend on a 3,000 run in July just 5 weeks after he had a 4 way bypass. He got really tired a couple of times (he mentioned later) but held up quite well through the Nevada desert and Death Valley (117 degrees), but did get a little winded walking on Mammoth Mtn. and Mt. Lasson at around 10,000 feet elevation (the Wimp). I was gasping like a marathon runner at that altitude, myself tho'.
His doctor was quite purturbed when he found out, but he feels the trip helped speed up his recovery.

Lonnie

Edited by Hack'n 8/10/2004 12:55 PM

Posted 8/16/2004 8:55 AM (#4457 - in reply to #4372)

I purchased the 1989 Goldwing / Sidecar combination, and am very happy with it. I drove it from Cleveland to Northern Va yesterday (8/15/2004) 400 miles, 11 hours, and it was a great time.

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Neil

Posted 8/24/2004 9:20 PM (#4556 - in reply to #4396)

Can you suggest where I can buy, or have made, a windshield for my Hitchhiker sidecar?

Thanks
Neil

nmurphy@cminc.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software