Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: DOG is my co-pilot.
- (Added by: ditch)

Yet Aanother Lightweight Sidecar
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Peter Pan
Posted 12/10/2012 11:37 PM (#68643 - in reply to #68342)
Subject: Re: Yet Aanother Lightweight Sidecar

Expert

At least in Costa Rica, where we change 503Colones per dolar it would be easy. My KLR650 was 4,5 millon Colones and they passes the coun ter in a finger snip.
Everything is relative and in share trading You notice daily that everything is manipulated to the extreme, that real bussines isn't reflected at all in wall street.
A nephew works for economic investigation. Although today in Costa Rica Intel exports 25% in Cips of total country exports, the PIB per capita was higher in 1974 then today...
The so called development here looks like eye washing... That something goes wrong I noticed the day I met a BMW M3 on the street in....1992 or 93.
On the same crossing today pass possibly about 45.000 vehicles in those times 3-4000 a day. Means stop and go arround the clock (ahh, You walk faster).
Sven
Top of the page Bottom of the page
c64club
Posted 1/24/2013 8:53 AM (#69196 - in reply to #68342)

Veteran

Latest news. We loaded some "permanent load" on the bike. Two heavy 25mm-thick plates, 8.5kg steel one and 13kg Pb, both painted and screwed under the floor.

Yesterday we had -7*C temperature and rain afternoon. My brother's workmates laughed at him "You will not leave the parkplace on your 'creature', may I pickup You to home?". But in the evening, the bike required only to brake the ice-couverture in few places, two kicks in kickstarter and brother left the parkplace before they deiced their windshields and burgled to their cars.

Edited by c64club 1/24/2013 8:54 AM
Peter Pan
Posted 1/24/2013 9:23 AM (#69197 - in reply to #68342)

Expert

Hello Igor,
what kind of engine is it? It looks to me like a copy of the Honda Supercup 4 stroker with semiautomatic gear box.
With the cold wheather it would be good to go down with viscosity of the oil. Albeight the small engines heat up much faster then the big ones, the engine in winter doesn't come to good operation temperature. That is the main reason why many winter bikes will have low engine performance in spring.
Specially BMW and Guzzi are very unwilling to start in ice, You have to put a stove below the engine for 30 minutes before they even would crank.
For sure the moped will be an excellent winter transportation, much more reliable then many cars.
And most of all GOOD FUN.
Sven
c64club
Posted 1/24/2013 9:56 AM (#69203 - in reply to #68342)

Veteran

This engine is Honda Cub, Chinese copy, full manual 4 gears. Without additional oil-cooler (very popular) it shouldn't work in summer, because radiators on cylinder and head are much smaller than in original. So in winter it runs perfectly when one disconnects or isolates the cooler. We wrapped the cooler with cloth and some foil.
Moped is ideal for my brother - not too fast but allows to learn first sidecar rules. It consumes 1.7-2.3l/100km solo and about 2.8-3l/100km with car.
Peter Pan
Posted 1/24/2013 10:21 AM (#69205 - in reply to #68342)

Expert

That the consume raise so much indicates 2 things to me: First he loves to use full gas. Second as bigger the engine as less stress for it to pull additional load. Or other way round, as in his case. the smaller the engine the more it has to work and suffer when You add a sidecar.
Your brother's consume added something between 30 and 64%.
Funny is that with the Jawa (with original engine) I see a plus of average 27% = 3,3l/100km =>4,2l/100km
I forgot the numbers but people with bigger engines tell here something like an additional consume of around 20%.
I am interested how the Husquarna engine will work out...It will be a raise from 29 to 48hp plus the change from aircooled 2 stroker with 4 shifts to water cooled 4 stroker with 6 gears.
By the way the italian Husquarna 450 is a VERY strange internal engine design... That are no pistons any more, but barely ashtrays.
Sven

Edited by Peter Pan 1/24/2013 10:23 AM
XLerate
Posted 1/24/2013 11:47 AM (#69210 - in reply to #69203)

Veteran

c64club - 1/24/2013 6:56 AM

This engine is Honda Cub, Chinese copy, full manual 4 gears. Without additional oil-cooler (very popular) it shouldn't work in summer, because radiators on cylinder and head are much smaller than in original. So in winter it runs perfectly when one disconnects or isolates the cooler. We wrapped the cooler with cloth and some foil.
Moped is ideal for my brother - not too fast but allows to learn first sidecar rules. It consumes 1.7-2.3l/100km solo and about 2.8-3l/100km with car.

I think your brother is a very fortunate brother, to have a brother like you!

Peter Pan
Posted 1/24/2013 4:37 PM (#69213 - in reply to #68342)

Expert

don-t underestimate the oil coolers, even very small ones have high cooling effect. specially when they come with an internal thermostat valve like mine in the CB650 1983. it was just of the size of 2 cigarete pakages, but strong enough to get rid of any overheating. Even in the Alps, Greece and Turkey never passed 130`C. Normally in summer it did raise fast to 115`C and stay stable between 115 and 120`C
So if I made writing erros its because I am i=here writing in the dark office with sun glasses, because some inteligent maschine operator whipped out a MiniPLCs program and I have to check if the program and the Service laptop still work....
Hurry up Sven, don-t play...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2014 PD9 Software