Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Better to ride well than to ride fast
- (Added by: SidecarMike)

Protective Clothing
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 8/16/2004 8:25 PM (#4460)
Subject: Protective Clothing

With the relatively safer riding provided by a rig, it is tempting to wear less leather, smaller helmet, etc. I was wondering the opinion of the other forum members on this topic...

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 8/16/2004 10:04 PM (#4462 - in reply to #4460)
Subject: RE: Protective Clothing

I've always worn a helmet, even in '62 on my little Honda (OK, not ALWAYS!) But over the years I worked my way up to protective gear, although not the top stuff. A Joe Rocket or Brosh jacket, full face helmet. But I find I am comfortable not dressing for the occasion with the sidecar rig. Open face helmet and whatever I have on at the time. I'll admit I was going to ask this question myself.
Vince
herwing
Posted 8/17/2004 12:15 AM (#4463 - in reply to #4462)

Veteran

Boy, did you guys goof! Now, they're gonna tell ya!!! (Ha,ha) I made the same mistake!

Posted 8/17/2004 12:44 PM (#4466 - in reply to #4463)

Not Not Not
Dehydration is your #1 Culprit. Sun, Heat & Wind.
Lots'a Lots'a Water or Cover up Mates.
also
When d Chair decides to Fly over you, best be Covered up Mates.
Hack'n
Posted 8/17/2004 1:41 PM (#4468 - in reply to #4460)

Expert

I have a tendency to dress for the weather more so than leaning toward body armor. I miss the days when a helmet was an option here. In the winter I used to wear just a custom leather Old School helmet similar to the racers helmets of the 20s and 30s, with rabbit fur lining over the ears. Warm, comfortable and a little wind noise protection. Also a little abrasion resistance. I still wear it under my beanie in cold weather.
I will not wear a full face helmet. I find them cumbersome, vision and hearing limiting, heavy, bulky and ugly (my opinion).
My only painful street accident in 59 years of riding (T-bone with a left turning '78 Chrysler) caused foot and leg injuries, an abrasion on the Hells Angel beanie I was wearing at that time, a skinned up back and a small lump on my head. I still have the helmet in my saddlebag but the lump is gone.
As for protective clothing, I outgrew my Langlitz Jacket and sold it on e-bay. Outgrew my full leather jeans three times. Got tired of the wet crotch associated with Chaps. Tried a Hein Gerieke Jacket with the pads. Too bulky, I felt like a kid sent out to play in a snowsuit.
Now I wear a relatively lightweight Wilson leather jacket with removable liner (Wore it 100+ miles in a blizzard in the Sierra Nevada last year on Hallowe'en day). That jacket, rainpants, and an Outback duster are all I take now for weather protection. (Wish I'd had the duster on Hallowe'en).
All the body armor in the world won't protect you from massive trauma if impact occurs. It might even slow down your reaction time to avoid it.
This is my personal opinion. No argument from me if you have another view.
herwing
Posted 8/17/2004 2:38 PM (#4469 - in reply to #4466)

Veteran

Hi Wiskers,

You know that for the longest time, I thought that thing was some sort of medieval torture device!!!(ha,ha) - - Connie

Posted 8/17/2004 9:38 PM (#4474 - in reply to #4469)

After I hit "submit", I thought I might have goofed. After many years on two wheeled discussion groups, I know they mostly favor very protective gear. Like I said, on my two wheelers, I would cover myself well, mostly anticipating sliding down the highway (never did). But when I started riding the Suzook/Sidecar a couple months ago, it seems things may have changed. More emphasis on collision, running in the ditch, less on abrasion. As I have no sidecarists around to talk to, I wondered how that group handles safety gear. In the past couple months I have taken several 200-300 mile trips. Each time I had boots, gloves, Joe Rocket ballistic nylon with armor, and a full-face helmet. But I must admit today I went to the bank, post office, to work and back with an open face helmet. And with what I wore for work today. No Aerostitch, no Sidi boots. Somehow the more laid back pace of the rig just seems to be less threatening, am I right? Also, when my wife takes me for a ride in her little white two-seat convertible, we wouldn't dream of protective clothing, let alone a helmet. And I'm sure that the convertible is closer to the sidecar rig than my four door station wagon, safety-wise.
I am looking forward to a rally where I can see how you guys really do it.
Vince
herwing
Posted 8/18/2004 1:53 AM (#4475 - in reply to #4460)

Veteran

Yep, that's just what I thought, too. Wait and see what the "real" sidehackers do. Well, I've only made it to one rally, but I'm pretty sure that the situation with sidehackers is much like what you'd find with any group of riders. Some are head to toe safety gear and others, well, they're not so safety conscious. I never ride two wheels without a helmet, but I have to admit that I have done a bit of sidehacking in the Daytona Beach area without one. But, lately I've become more concerned with junk flying off the back of tractor trailers than anything else. I spend far more time riding on interstates than I care to and I've come reeeal close to getting bashed by things that big rig drivers failed to secure. I'm not sure that protective gear is all that protective at 70 to 80 mph when something like a 4x6 comes flying at you! Well, like I've said before, I think people in cars should have to wear helmets. Just think how many fewer deaths and injuries there would be in auto accidents!

Posted 8/18/2004 10:42 AM (#4476 - in reply to #4460)

I work on a military base and the new base commander wants all the bikers to disappear. So he's enforcing every rule he can find and I've gone from a half helmet, goggles, sailing gloves, and boots, to a full face, denim jacket, boots, full gloves, and reflective vest. In August in Alabama. Now I have to carry a change of clothes because of sweat.

I do tend to dress up less now that I'm on the rig, and also ride slower. But the latter might change with more milage.

I got one of those convertible helmets. Its nice in the rain or fog, but when I'm riding with someone, its a bother because I have to open the front for them to hear what I'm saying.
Bob Stock
Posted 8/19/2004 10:07 AM (#4483 - in reply to #4460)

Red, times have not changed that much. Back in the 60's through the 80's on many Navy bases stateside it was the same thing. The "cage riders" could drive on just about naked, but if you had a bike (I did) you had to have on all the gear in the world to get on base. If some base comanders could have forced safty balts and air bags they would have. One base had us take a riding test to get permision to get on base with a bike.

As for protective clothing for myself. I normally wear a stich jacket, open face helment, bicycle gloves with padded gell palms and light weight (mesh top) hikeing boots. I keep rain paints in the sidecar, extra gloves, goggles and a towel in the saddle bags. I ride just about everywhere i can and this will see me through most weather conditins. In winter, I add fleece, a face shield, winter gloves and boots. Of course thats me and there are other options.

SBRubinson
Posted 8/19/2004 1:15 PM (#4484 - in reply to #4460)

You can still fall off!
sidecarLenny
Posted 8/22/2004 8:09 AM (#4509 - in reply to #4460)

Everyone should wear protective clothing that is suited for they type of ride they are going to take. That's one of the great advantages of having the sidecar you can pack alot of different gear if the weather changes!
I have several types of helmets, jackets, pants, boots, rain gear etc. etc..
Suiting up also depends on were you are riding.
Paved roads vs offroad etc etc,
If I am going for a short ride I would not suit up the same way as I would for an all day adventure.
I can't stand seeing riders/drivers(2 or 3 wheelers) out in shorts, no shirts, and flip flops/deck shoes with no socks.
The proctective clothing today is very functional and comfortable. The clothing line is endless and there is something for everyone out there!
I think everyone has to dress for comfort and protection but most of all you have to feel that the clothing/helmet is not hindering your ability to
drive at your best.
I never heard of anyone falling off a hack, but if your in an accident and knocked off the rig I doubt you are going to be safe with the protective wear out there( from the impact of the accident).
Best thing to do is drive within your skill level, dress sensibly and hope for the best.

tubmaxson
Posted 8/23/2004 5:34 AM (#4522 - in reply to #4460)

I would rather dress for a crash, and have a nice enjoyable ride; than dress for a nice enjoyable ride and have a crash.Tub
SidecarMike
Posted 8/23/2004 7:02 AM (#4523 - in reply to #4522)

Expert

I have to agree with Tub. Last June my daughter ran her rig through a six foot tall chain link fence. We found her lieing flat on the bike with her head against the tour box and the chain link holding her down. Only the visor on her helmet and the padding in her Joe Rocket Jacket kept the fence from tearing her up. It's been thirty years since my last real accident. I sometimes feel the investment in riding wear gets exsessive and unnecessary. Two weeks ago a minivan turned left as I was passing her and pushed my Valkyrie down through the ditch, through an electrified fence and up against a farmer's hay wagon. When I hit the hay wagon I was thrown forward against the windshield and nailed my shins with the cylinder heads of the bike. The padding helped immensely. In both cases we were able to walk away without a cut and with only very minor bruises. I'll continue to wear my protective gear.
Hack'n
Posted 8/23/2004 2:30 PM (#4532 - in reply to #4522)

Expert

What brand of "Crash helmet" is that one you have on, Tub? That has always been one of my favorite brands for on summer road riding.
tubmaxson
Posted 8/24/2004 8:36 AM (#4543 - in reply to #4532)

Hack'nIf you look close you will see a Schuberth Concept between my arms on the tank. I removed it for the photo and put it back on before I left. A full faced helmet saved my life in 1988, and I do not ride a motorcycle of any size without one. ATGATT. All the Gear, All the TimeTub
Hack'n
Posted 8/24/2004 12:04 PM (#4546 - in reply to #4543)

Expert

I see it now. If you feel it saved your life, I can see why you wouldn't want to leave home without it.
(Personally, I still prefer the one you're wearing).

tubmaxson
Posted 8/24/2004 3:16 PM (#4549 - in reply to #4460)

Yep, it did no doubt. The first thing to hit after being launched over a Buick Riviera, was my shoulder, then my head hit so hard it shattered the helmet like an egg, then I rolled and the glass was removed from the chin protector right down to the foam on the inside. I would not have survived the head bounce, but if I did, I would not have a jaw to fasten a helmet under. Made me a believer on what should have been a nice relaxing ride on a country road. Oh, and the Buick? Bent the frame right under the passenger door. But then you don't hear from others who "might" have survived a head injury. I wonder why? But to each his own.

Posted 8/24/2004 7:16 PM (#4553 - in reply to #4460)

Going to have to think this through again.

Riding 2-wheeled, I tended to dress up with everything I had and rely on ventilation and water to keep me from heat stroke. I've gotten sloppy lately. I guess not seeing the ground when you look beside you makes it feel more casual.

Frankly, most of the good stuff doesn't come in my size. Last time I 'outgrew' my summer armor, I couldn't find any to replace it. Draggin'Jeans is suppose to have a kevlar/denim jacket with pads coming out to match their jeans. Of course nothing in women's sizes above 14, but that's a different complaint.
Sarge
Posted 8/26/2004 7:48 AM (#4573 - in reply to #4460)

Two years ago next month, Bambi tried to get back at me for all the vennison jerky I have eaten. She ran a Kamakazi attack into the right front of my bike and sent me airborn. The surgeon who treated me said I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my helmet and armored jacket. I wasn't wearing armored pants and my kneecaps show it. Mine was the fourth cycle-deer accident in that area in a six week period. I was the only one who lived.

Sarge

Posted 8/27/2004 4:05 PM (#4589 - in reply to #4460)

Sarge, were you on your rig or two-wheeling? I'm collecting anecdotel information on sidecar safety. (see the Wrecking thread)
Sarge
Posted 8/27/2004 8:23 PM (#4594 - in reply to #4460)

This was pre-rig days. I just REALLY began sidecaring this spring.

I was riding a BMW R100RS, then known as "Klink" but later as "The Bambi Killer".

Speaking of.... There I was lying in the middle of the road with EMT's all over me. One who found himself superfluous (sp?) to the situation went to check on the deer, which I had already heard some bystander comment had been killed by the impact. I'm still there blocking traffic with my body and the EMT walks back to inform all that someone had already gutted the deer and it was gone! One EMT who was working on me leaned over my prostrate form and cheerfully stated, "Welcome to Pennsylvania!"

Sarge

Lani
Posted 8/27/2004 10:09 PM (#4597 - in reply to #4460)

Those are great stories. What do you recommend for your sidecar passengers to wear as protective clothing? I want to get a sidecar to carry my kids (ages 3, 5, and 7). I can't really see getting full body armor for all. Are helmets enough? Motorcycle helmets, or bicycle helmets, depending on the speed we're planning -- around town vs. freeway? Here in California, kid bicycle helmets are mandatory when they are on bikes, and that's supposed to protect them when they get hit by a car? And the bicycle helmet law isn't enforced in the county I live in.
herwing
Posted 8/27/2004 11:21 PM (#4598 - in reply to #4597)

Veteran

Hi Lani,

I don't have any advice about protective clothing for your kids in a sidecar, but I don't think bicycle helmets are what you should use if your're going to use helmets. And, please, if you are going to put them in helmets, use helmets that fit the size of their heads. I shudder when I see other people riding kids on cycles with helmets on twice the size of their heads. I also mentally reprimand myself when I see pictures of my own son (now grown), as a child, wearing my helmet when riding with his dad. Although, it was a small helmet and I didn't even know at the time that you could buy a motorcycle helmet for a child, it was still too large to have done him much, if any, good. But I know that you can buy them now.
By the way, I don't know anything about your kids or how well they behave, but if your three are anything like my two were at that age, good luck with your sanity. Mine would have been like trying to keep worms in a can with no top!!!

Connie
stevewoo
Posted 8/27/2004 11:32 PM (#4599 - in reply to #4460)

Elite Veteran

There was a vendor of kids motorcycle clothing at the USCA rally this year - many years after my 14 y/o could have put some of it to good use. I think they are on the web. Family Freedom Motorcycling

www.familymotorcycling.com

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software