Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Thank goodness we don't get all the government we pay for.

Off roading
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 8/21/2004 2:57 AM (#4495)
Subject: Off roading

Here's one for ya...
I have a Sputnik chair and seek advice about the left side...the bike.
What bike would you put on a Sputnik car to go riding off road? Sort of a dual sport sidecar, I guess.
I don't plan to bounce it off the berms (well maybe slide it around a little ;->), mostly to just putt through the forest and do some camping.

So it has to travel the highways legally, be able to handle dirt and gravel roads, steer easily, be able to handle a passenger and camping gear and be a 4 stroke. Oh...and be cheap, as in a cheap dependable old bike.

I have a Ural 650cc Bavarian rig with which we've been cruising the backroads, but I'd rather keep it on the pavement (I KNEW I should have bought a Patrol!) So it seems something in the 650cc range is fine for the job.

Any ideas? Experiences?

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 8/21/2004 11:42 AM (#4498 - in reply to #4495)
Subject: RE: Off roading

Gene
Here are a couple of Sites that may help you:
http://sidecarcross.com
http://sidecarcross.com/forum/index.php?sid=46d003fab3205ac33452008...
Good Luck
Watch out for them Big Trees. LOL!!!
Hack'n
Posted 8/21/2004 12:33 PM (#4499 - in reply to #4495)

Expert

I have used the Yamaha XJ650 Maxims for light on/off road work in their stock trim. Took a 1983 model, with a URAL mounted, to the "Bonehead Enduro" which is a fun on/off road, early spring, vintage bike (or rider) event that starts at Snoqualmie, WA and uses gravel forestry roads, dirt logging roads, fire trails, creek beds and dirt trails in the mix to find 5 hidden "Bones" plus bonus "Bones" for the more adventuresome. The end of the run is as far up into the snow as you can go. With a 180# driver and a 140# monkey, we got farther up into the deep snow than any of the two wheel drive URAL Patrols (With street tires). What made the difference was horsepower. We were able to blast over the snow crust instead of plowing and digging through it like the two wheel drive rigs with knobby tires. They ended up high centering, we didn't. (I also got oldest driver recognition that time). This run was sponsered by the late Dave DiMartini and Vintage Motorcycle Club and featured in one of the Easyrider Videos.

I also set a 1985 700 Maxim up for a rider in Marlboro, MA for similar work, with a Velorex 562 and heavy duty suspension system that I fabricated. He was quite pleased with it.
The earlier Honda V45s and V65s also make strong tugs for a reasonable price. Lots of power, good front ends and brakes. (Need rear shocks tho')
They work good with a URAL.
I am setting up a '87 Honda 700 Magna in the shop now with a 562A HD Velorex. The chassis is mounted. We're just waiting for the painter to finish the color match on the sidecar body and fender. That will be our display/driver for awhile. I'll post pix when it's done.
(This being semi-retired is hard work).
JayDauntless
Posted 8/23/2004 9:41 AM (#4527 - in reply to #4495)

We have built a bunch of off road rigs many around the Sputnik sidecar. They can be seen on our web sit www.dauntlessmotors.com under the off road section.
I like using the larger dual sport bikes as they have the power to also do highway speeds. My own bike is a Triumph tiger that I have a Ural on. I have also built the Tiger with a Sputnik. We have done quite a few F650's with Sputink sidecars as well.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software