Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: wondering why we have feet that smell and a nose that runs
- (Added by: dave)

Pronouncing "Dnepr"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 8/27/2004 4:04 PM (#4588)
Subject: Pronouncing "Dnepr"

I picked up my Suzuki with Dnepr sidecar in California last week and drove it home to Wa. I'll post trip details later, but I thought others might like this information:

As I was travelling, a gentleman asked about my rig. I told him the hack was Ukrainian, and he said "So am I!", I told him it was a Dnepr, and he called his girlfriend over and said "look at this sidecar, it's from home, it's a Nyepper!"

I've heard it pronounced "nepper" and "Duh nepper", but he said "nyepper" as in "Nyet". So there you go.

-Doug C.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 8/27/2004 5:25 PM (#4591 - in reply to #4588)
Subject: RE: Pronouncing "Dnepr"

Expert

Except that at a craft show last summer I met an aged couple selling Russian art,crafts,and military stuff. Uniforms, photos, ribbons, etc. I asked if they had anything related to the Dnepr, pronouncing it Nepper, as I had been told. They looked at each other, shrugged and said they had never heard of such a thing. They were familiar with Urals but no other. Later in the day they happened to come walking past the parking lot as I was leaving. The man started to laugh and said "Dee-NEE-Pro! Must be from a different part of town. :0) But then, my Dad used to speak High German and another relative low German and half the time you couldn't understand his cousin.
Bilgekeeldave
Posted 8/27/2004 9:37 PM (#4595 - in reply to #4588)

My wife, Olga, is Ukrainian, She also has taught Russian language in American colleges. Olga says that the Russian pronunciation is dNyeper (the 'd' is pronounced, but very softly and the 'e' is short as in (except. The Ukrainian pronunciation is dNipro. Ukrainians from east Ukraine, including Keiv, speak mostly Russian. Ukrainians from west Ukraine speak mostly Ukrainian.

Dave
Huey
Posted 10/3/2004 7:20 PM (#4916 - in reply to #4588)

Thanks Doug for providing me with the info and pics on your rig. It really helped a lot and I appreciate it.
Huey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software