Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: working is the curse of the drinking class
- (Added by: martinig)

cheap(?) outfits
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 9/6/2004 1:13 PM (#4652)
Subject: cheap(?) outfits

i'm looking to buy another outfit, it's in me blood don't you know aargh!!!
anyway i've had cheap bikes and sidecars in the past, mostly Jawas with velorex sidecars ( 4 of 'em ) and a ural and sidecar.
i'mn not looking for speed cos i'm getting on a bit and have the choice of either a 350/500 royal enfield or another ural what do you think ?

Edited by oldbikerr 9/6/2004 1:19 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 9/6/2004 7:58 PM (#4654 - in reply to #4652)
Subject: RE: cheap(?) outfits

1970's BMW with Ural sidecar. Cheap, rugged, reliable, and versatile.

The BMW should set you back less around $2500; a new Ural chair roughly the same. If you choose carefully, the outfit can last you a lifetime.

Jim

Posted 9/7/2004 12:57 PM (#4660 - in reply to #4652)

jim thanks for the reply but over here in england bm's fetch a higher price, i should have said that i was looking to buy a new bike and sidecar and wanted peoples thoughts on enfields and urals.

Posted 9/9/2004 7:06 PM (#4683 - in reply to #4652)

If you're looking or new, and don't want to put something together yourself, a 750 cc Ural is definately the way to go. The quality of the Urals has improved tremendously in the past few years, and it has become a reasonably reliable and very rugged combination. The Enfield with Cosy sidecar is just too small and underpowered for any type of serious trip.

Let us know what you decide.

Jim

Posted 9/10/2004 1:47 PM (#4694 - in reply to #4652)

I have an upgraded 1998 Ural Deco Classic with 3000 on the odometer. I am in Prosser, Washington. Price is $4800 firm. That includes $700+ of upgrades and I have the shop receipts to show for it. That's a good deal considering the Kelly Blue Book lists the retail of the bike as $5280. If interested contact me at work ar danny.r.sanders@pnl.gov (509)376-7991 or at home dnsanders@bentonrea.com (509)786-4836 or see my ad in the "complete rigs for sale" section. The user name is tadashi. Thanks.
Danny Sanders GWRRA #170476 AMA# 590080
Huey
Posted 9/10/2004 9:51 PM (#4698 - in reply to #4652)

Veteran

First, I can only give an opinion and at best it is just what I think, but in the states, in Texas at least, the used BMW with a Ural side car combo is the best way to go if cheap means a good price and a good product for that cheap price. The used BMW and Ural should be cheaper than the cost of a new Ural rig and quality is there to boot. Dealerships are fairly easy to locate as well. This may be totally different where you are located, so the opinion may not fit at all in that regard.

The Enfield is very, very underpowered for what you get (20 hp, I believe) and the cost of maintenance and parts will run up over time. Adding a sidecar of any real size is a problem with the Enfield. It seems more designed for a short teenager than a good sized adult. Finding a dealership has it's own problems here in the states. It would not be my first or second choice. Speeds are slow to slower. Still a neat rig to own. I am sure owners would not agree with me to some degree, but I have compared all 3 of the bikes/hacks here in Texas over the past year and the Enfield is just the least of a power machine for everyday use, unless the back roads is where you roam daily.

The Ural is a good rig and the 750cc engine is supposedly very, very dependable. However, the main problem is still a lack of a solid dealer network that is spread out about the country here in the USA. Although you can find dealers in various parts of the states like Washington, Indy or such, just be aware that they are not centrally located at all. Good as the Ural is, there are still problems to be had with trying to "push" one for speed on the main highways as the norm. Speed is best at about 60-65 and they ae still a tinker's bike in some ways. If you love daily manintenance like a working on a lawnmower, you will enjoy playing with the Ural. Be aware that many, many dealerships sell the bikes to a totally "nitch" market, as they actually sell lawn tractors, weed eaters, leaf blowers and utility vehicles as the mainstay and the Ural is secondary at best in their dealerships. Still, the Ural is improving in quality and the side car is certainly in a solid league of it's own when added to any bike. The Ural owners are a hard-fast, dedicated lot. You should hang out at their web site and see what I mean. I enjoy them and still peek in on occassion. Best piece of advise I ever got off their website was that "Urals are not for everyone." Made me think quite hard and the more I did, I found that I did not really want to chance the lack of dealerships here in Texas. Went to one, only to find the Ural there was in awful, rusted out shape and the price they were asking was for a new one. The second dealership decided to go to being a service dealership only. When I checked out Perry's in Ft. Worth, I found they were doing work that the 2nd shop passed up. Not a good example of a solid dealership to handle all problems. Ordering everything from out of state and paying for shipping or waiting for parts would not be fun as the routine. This made me think about what I really wanted in a rig and the Ural ownership thoughts were then put aside for a first rig. Maybe later, for a used bike, but not as the first experience. This may not be the same for everyone, so don't think I am putting this rig down at all. The bad experience just steered me clear of making a Ural my first rig.

I seriously like the Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter 800 with a Ural side car attached, but what the hey. It is not as cheap a combo as you are probably thinking or dreaming of, so the choice is really yours to make. The reason I go for the Drifter and a Ural is that the Drifter had a great dependability record, great highway speeds, very good gas mileage, great network of dealers, easy to get parts, low maintenance, great performance and the Ural sidecar attached would be a plus. Essentially tough as nails with no parts to wear out. Best of both worlds, I suspect. The Drifter 1500 is another option, but personally, I prefer the 800. The cost of the bike is about what a good Ural rig will sell for.

Posted 9/11/2004 2:39 AM (#4700 - in reply to #4652)

danny thanks but the shipping to england would be toooo much.

huey i live in the middle of nowhere, and it is the back roads that i play on. 45 - 50 mph cruising speeds on country roads is what i'll do everyday so the enfield would suit me, besides it's nearly british well the design is.
i have 3 enfield dealers and 2 ural dealers within 50 miles of here so dealer network isn't the issue neither is long haul rides on motorways i stick to the back roads away from all the lorries and coaches and manic 80 - 100 mph traffic that seems to have taken over our daily lives.

i do all my own maintenance even enjoy it so i'll be there tinkering evry day on my bike.

perhaps here in england we want different things from our bikes.
Huey
Posted 9/11/2004 8:20 AM (#4701 - in reply to #4652)

Veteran

Yes, the Enfield would probably be the cheapest route where you are located. Even the Ural would be a good bet there too as well. I still think you get much more for your money with the Ural, compared to the Enfield, in servicability, dependability and all round use. The back roads are just fine for both bikes and either would seem they would each meet your individual needs. I'd still check out some web sites specific to each and see just what the owners say about them. My money is still on the Ural as the best buy, new or used, between the two.

I have some British buddies here, locally who own Enfields. I can't say I like the sidecar and its looks that is on them, but I am not sure what make the sidecar actually is. Even on our long and slower roads here in the countryside of Texas where I live, the Enfields really seem sluggish and underpowered. Now, consider the fact that I have a Model A that has twice the horsepower as an Enfield and that I do know a bit about "taking life easy" and hitting the back roads as the norm. My Model A will top out at about 70 MPH if I push her, but is always at her best if I keep her to 45-50 MPH. This means I take it easy, never get in a hurry and learn to drive for the enjoyment of it and not to beat someone else to work each day. I used the Model A for years as my daily transportation, so my foot never seemed to get overly heavy on the gas pedal and I was never in a rush to get anywhere. The Model A is a tinker's toy as well, in that it requires a steadfast diet of maintenance to keep operational. If that is your enjoyment, the Enfield and the Ural should offer you many hours of playing with carb adjustments, tinkering with electrical glitches and just having fun in learning the quirks of each.

You have dealerships in your area that I can only envy here in the states. No local dealers at all here and they are all several states away if I were to go with a Ural. That is not an issue for you, but it sure is here. Again, I envy you that.

As I said in my previous post, each person has their own needs and wants on the purchase of their particular rig. I don't own a shop, own very many tools and don't have the best welding or maintenanace skills. Therefore, for me, dealership service is a "high priority." It would not be for you. Since I have spent years living miles and miles away from any parts places that deal in the Model A Ford, I have endured many years of having to order parts from far away, wait on parts for some time before delivery and pay high shipping charges to boot. If I purchased the Ural, I'd have to experience that same issue once again. I dearly love the Tourist, but the cons ourweighed the pros for me here in the states. Not an issue for you across the pond and I envy you that for sure. Pricing may be way different where you are at too. Enfields run cheaper on price here than the Urals, but the dealers offer a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty on Urals and Enfields don't. I can tell you by having hung out at the Ural website for quite some time, that Ural does indeed stand behind their warranty as well. That is both a good thing for them and the owners. They had a lot to get behind them with their past poor reputation for quality. They have made enormous strides since the early 80's.

Before you settle on what works best for you, I'd still advise you to go to some specific web sites to get a bit of insight as to what each bike offers. You may be surprised as to what their owners feel about them and you may indeed find some info on them that you had not even thought of.

I'm very interested in which you choose and even more interested in what you find months later after you have owned the rig. Enjoy which ever you go with.
Huey
Sarge
Posted 9/11/2004 3:05 PM (#4702 - in reply to #4652)

Veteran

Royal Enfield and Ural rigs. Had a car on my RE for a short while and found the combo useless. GREAT solo bike (love mine dearly) but it is not a good tug. For a rig, my vote has to go to the Ural. I bought a Retro rig this spring and love the heck out of it. DESIGNED as a sidecar rig. Set up and ready to go from the dealer - who knows and understands sidecar rigs, not someone approaching them "by guess and by golly". I could go on and on.

Still buy a Enfield for your "back road bomb" solo bike. But stick with a Ural for your rig.

Sarge

Posted 9/12/2004 3:32 AM (#4705 - in reply to #4652)

been checking out the dealers websites and have contacted the nearest ural dealer who has 2 secondhand 750 dalesman outfits for £3000 each. think that after all your advice that i'm going to look at these before i spend £4695 on a new un.

f2 motorcycles sell urals and enfields with either the cozy sidecar or the velorex (uk importer), the cozy seems to suit the bike; the velorex looks like it's been added as an after thought. - www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk

the ural has been designed for pulling its chair so i'm going for the ural despite my loyalty to enfields.

thanks for all the comments folks you've helped make my mind up.
sidecarLenny
Posted 9/16/2004 7:19 PM (#4747 - in reply to #4652)

Veteran

Good choice on the ural vs the RE!!!
There is never too little displacement on the tug!!!!
I have never had a sidecar driver complain that he had 100-250cc too much in their displacement.
On the other hand many people have bought rigs only to find out they are too slow and have no power to get out of their own way.
Godd luck and enjoy the ride.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software