Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> On the road with ... -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Speed kills.......but only the dumb and inexperienced
- (Added by: DAVE)

2800 mile road trip
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> On the road with ...Message format

JRNisley
Posted 7/22/2013 4:23 PM (#72928)
Subject: 2800 mile road trip

I am leaving out of Charlotte NC on Wednesday July 24th. Blue 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture with Blue California Friendship II sidecar and diamond plate aluminum trailer. My 2 boys are going with me.

We will travel by interstate from Charlotte through Asheville NC. On to Knoxville TN, Nashville TN, then head N.NW through Clarkesville TN and Paducah KY. Continuing through St. Louis MO and West to Kansas City MO. Redirecting North to the S.E. Corner of Nebraska. Our ETA for Nebraska is sometime on Friday, July 26th.

This will give us just short of 1,200 miles over 3-days. I hope to do about 500 - 600 miles per day, but would be pleased if we only do the 400.

On Saturday the 27th, we'll probably travel by car to Hiawatha KS for some dirt track racing. Hiawatha is about 60-miles from Steinauer NE, where my folks live.

We'll spend the weekend in Steinauer NE. After which ...

We may return directly to Charlotte NC ... OR ... we may go on to International Falls MN. That too would be by interstate, t/b/d by the Garmin. I think the MN leg is probably too aggressive with 2 boys aged 8 and 9.

If you see a hack running down the road with 3 goofy looking kids acting like they're in a parade, it'll be us. My boys would love to see someone join along or even go by waving and honking. They're as big a nerds as I am and we all have a great time.

added: We're not locked in on travel, but I think our 1st night we'll stay in Clarkesville TN as we have family there, so the 'price is right' on lodging. Thursday we want to get to Western MO, but not so much into the Kansas City metro area. Then Friday to see Mom & Dad and free lodging again.

Edited by JRNisley 7/22/2013 4:46 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
New York Bear
Posted 7/22/2013 6:20 PM (#72930 - in reply to #72928)
Subject: RE: 2800 mile road trip

JRNisley - 7/22/2013 4:23 PM

I am leaving out of Charlotte NC on Wednesday July 24th. Blue 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture with Blue California Friendship II sidecar and diamond plate aluminum trailer. My 2 boys are going with me.

We will travel by interstate from Charlotte through Asheville NC. On to Knoxville TN, Nashville TN, then head N.NW through Clarkesville TN and Paducah KY. Continuing through St. Louis MO and West to Kansas City MO. Redirecting North to the S.E. Corner of Nebraska. Our ETA for Nebraska is sometime on Friday, July 26th.

This will give us just short of 1,200 miles over 3-days. I hope to do about 500 - 600 miles per day, but would be pleased if we only do the 400.

On Saturday the 27th, we'll probably travel by car to Hiawatha KS for some dirt track racing. Hiawatha is about 60-miles from Steinauer NE, where my folks live.

We'll spend the weekend in Steinauer NE. After which ...

We may return directly to Charlotte NC ... OR ... we may go on to International Falls MN. That too would be by interstate, t/b/d by the Garmin. I think the MN leg is probably too aggressive with 2 boys aged 8 and 9.

If you see a hack running down the road with 3 goofy looking kids acting like they're in a parade, it'll be us. My boys would love to see someone join along or even go by waving and honking. They're as big a nerds as I am and we all have a great time.

added: We're not locked in on travel, but I think our 1st night we'll stay in Clarkesville TN as we have family there, so the 'price is right' on lodging. Thursday we want to get to Western MO, but not so much into the Kansas City metro area. Then Friday to see Mom & Dad and free lodging again.

Be sure to update us on your trip, traffic, Road conditions, etc. I am leaving Upstate New York August 4, and some of the ride will be on I40 in the Asheville area. First long trip for me with hack attached in almost thirty years. Looking forward to it! Enjoy yours!
JRNisley
Posted 7/23/2013 6:54 PM (#72955 - in reply to #72928)

Pre-departure maintenance. Check.
Electronic carry-alongs packed (Garmin/XM/Phone). Check.
Must-haves, but hope I don't need (tools/tire repair stuff/etc). Check.

Presently, making the 8 & 9 year old pack their own gear. Never do for a boy what a boy can do for himself!

Hyperlink disabled, but if anyone is interested here's the URL to the Spot mapping/tracker:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0lKKCfz...

May or may not see updates the next few days.

I'm going to try to make a small update @ the end of every day with a few pictures.

(P7230266.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P7230266.JPG (150KB - 0 downloads)
JRNisley
Posted 7/23/2013 7:07 PM (#72957 - in reply to #72955)

A pic of the Boys June 9th during one of our warm-up rides.

(2013-06-09 (3).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2013-06-09 (3).JPG (2300KB - 1 downloads)
JRNisley
Posted 7/25/2013 10:54 PM (#73006 - in reply to #72928)

This was for a guy on a different forum --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjddZmXKYE

Wed, 7/24 = Charlotte NC to Clarksville TN. Traffic was very tolerable. We only had 2 small rain showers on the I-40 stretch from Asheville NC to Knoxville TN. They were short lived. Boys were great. Ended up at hanging out at the pool with Aunt & Uncle. It was nice.

Thu, 7/24 = Clarksville TN to Columbia MO. Traffic was tolerable everywhere EXCEPT the backlog because of ding-bats repasting the little reflectors on the I-64 stretch just outside of E. St Louis Illinois. Mid-Day. What were the Traffic MGT team thinking??? Weather was mostly good excepting it was a touch too warm. While moving it was comfortable. While stopped (near East St. Louis) it was a bit uncomfortable.

(2013-07-25 (8).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2013-07-25 (8).JPG (554KB - 0 downloads)
JRNisley
Posted 8/2/2013 2:20 PM (#73159 - in reply to #72930)

New York Bear - 7/22/2013 6:20 PM

I am leaving Upstate New York August 4, and some of the ride will be on I40 in the Asheville area. First long trip for me with hack attached in almost thirty years. Looking forward to it! Enjoy yours!

Do you have a destination, or are you just roaming? If schedule permits, I wouldn't mind meeting up with you.

Jim Nisley

(2013-07-31 (1).JPG)

(2013-08-01 (9).JPG)

(2013-08-01 (8).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2013-07-31 (1).JPG (621KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 2013-08-01 (9).JPG (529KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 2013-08-01 (8).JPG (504KB - 0 downloads)
New York Bear
Posted 8/2/2013 7:35 PM (#73164 - in reply to #73159)

Glad the trip is good for ya! I am ultimately headed to Alma, Arkansas, but as of now, cause both my riding companions had change of plans, the trip is going to be more of a "Gee, that looks interesting, lets go there" kind of thing. don't need to be in Alma til the 8th, so some roam time available. Hoping to camp in state parks to save some change, don't have a lot to work with. Coming home will be quick, and use motels. While out there, I want to ride as far as Texas, and get pic of rig by state sign. Any way, If I see a rig on the road, I will recognise you, have to stop and compare notes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software