Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Having no reason to complain is itself a reason to complain!
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Trailer Size for a Ultra & SC
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Scrubs
Posted 9/16/2004 5:04 PM (#4744)
Subject: Trailer Size for a Ultra & SC

I am getting ready to buy a cargo trailer to tow behind my RV. I also will be getting my sidecar for my HD Ultra Classic soon. Can someone tell me how large of an opening I will need to drive this rig into the trailer ?

Thanks,
Jerry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 9/16/2004 7:05 PM (#4745 - in reply to #4744)
Subject: RE: Trailer Size for a Ultra & SC

Expert

Mine is 77 inches inside measurement from wall to wall. Allows a little wiggling room.
Scrubs
Posted 9/16/2004 7:15 PM (#4746 - in reply to #4744)

Would 74" wide on the door opening be enough?
SidecarMike
Posted 9/17/2004 6:40 PM (#4754 - in reply to #4744)

Expert

Everything is different. Adjustments and accessories can add or subtract inches and I've only found one good way to measure. Take the bike to the trailer shop and tell them you won't buy unless you can see how the rig fits on it. My measurements said a 6 foot width would be sufficient, I was wrong, I have 3 inches between the siderails and the rig to either side of a 7 footer. Three inches was enough for me on an open trailer, but a friend of mine isn't happy unless he can walk all around the rig.
I bought my Sport Warrior from a private party, but he was more than happy to hook it up to his pickup and let me drive up onto it before I made my decision. The bike fit to my satisfaction and I paid the man and went home to get my truck.

Posted 9/17/2004 8:57 PM (#4755 - in reply to #4744)

I have a Heritage with a Liberty car,it is a tight fit getting it into a 7 foot wide Haulmark lowhauler,I would strongly suggest a 8 foot wide.
Hack'n
Posted 9/18/2004 12:37 AM (#4757 - in reply to #4746)

Expert

Another thing to consider is how the trailer pulls. We ordered a custom 8' Pace Low-hauler and drove 1,000 miles to Provo Utah to pick it up when it was finished. The first time we got it up to over 55 on the freeway and caught a gust of wind from a passing semi (75 mph speed limit there) it started whipping and we just about lost it. Pulled over and adjusted the air pressure in the rear shocks of the truck and started off again. Fine till we hit some new rain grooves then it started whipping again. The third time we were between two semis when it went into it's act.
We were only 11 miles from the factory by then. My bride said it wasn't dying for and wanted out. We drove back to the factory at 40 mph much to the chagrin of the freeway traffic and they took it back in and had us wait outside in 100 degree heat for five hours while they "looked" at it.
Then they brought it back out and said it was fine. I asked what was wrong and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, it was fine. So
I got our money back, drove back to Washington and built my own sidecar hauler. It pulls great at any speed but it is an uncovered trailer.
Scrubs
Posted 9/18/2004 4:37 PM (#4762 - in reply to #4744)

Thanks for all the input. I will probably be purchasing a Haulmark or United 8-8.5 Trailer. Now all I have to do is figure out how long it needs to be. Thinking 12-14'.

Jerry
Hack'n
Posted 9/18/2004 10:48 PM (#4763 - in reply to #4762)

Expert

Jerry,
I just checked my receipts. It was a 8'x12' Haulmark lowhauler that we had the problems with. A customer of mine got one and had no problems with it. He tows it with a 1 ton Ford 4x4 with an extended wheelbase however.
Bottom line is: See how it pulls with and without a load before you spend your money.

Good luck

Posted 9/20/2004 5:17 PM (#4780 - in reply to #4744)

Haven't checked the width with the sidecar rig, but a horse trailer usually pulls nice. Good long ramp so you don't drag your frame and designed for having weight concentrated on a few points.

Posted 9/24/2004 4:54 PM (#4813 - in reply to #4744)

My Harley and Harley Sidecar require a 6 1/2 foot clearance (inside measurement). A six footer is too narrow. I bought a 7X10 open trailer and fabricated a stone guard and siderails out of oak planking. Still can get wet but I'm 2500 dollars ahead. I guess a 7 footer in an enclosed (they are quite a bit more $$$$) is what you will need. Be sure to get a side door. And it will not be easy to get off the cycle because there is little room on each side. I just go over the side rails on mine. If you would like a digital image of what mine looks like just send me a private email through this site and I'll send you a shot or two. HDSIDECARRON (from the hills of east TN)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software