Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen." Oliver Wendell Holmes
- (Added by: DAVE)

Velorex 560 on a 2007 Moto Guzzi Calfornia
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

roofus
Posted 10/10/2013 11:33 AM (#74448)
Subject: Velorex 560 on a 2007 Moto Guzzi Calfornia

New User

I have a Velorex 560 and a 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage, 1100 cc., dry weight 580lbs

I understand that the Velorex was designed for a smaller bike like the Jawa 350 cc

Is this a feasible project?

The Guzzi has the "Tonti" frame.

I am planning to get it professionally installed. The installer said that the bike is a bit big for the hack so he will have to build a sub-frame and beef up the suspension, but he thinks he can make it work.

Any advice appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 10/10/2013 3:52 PM (#74449 - in reply to #74448)
Subject: Re: Velorex 560 on a 2007 Moto Guzzi Calfornia

Expert

I would not put these together, This will not be a safe match up. Should you wish to go with a heavier stronger sidecar we will be glad to help you with bike specific mounts or should you go with a smaller bike if we have the mounts we will be glad to help you with putting this sidecar on a smaller bike. We also have triple tree's (in stock) to lower the steering effort with a sidecar. And of course we also make sidecars.
I would question just how "professional" the shop is if they are willing to do this much of a miss match. I know of one shop, now closed that mounted a Velorex sidecar on a Moto Guzzi California like yours, the owner of the bike was in an accident that cost him is life, might not have happened if the sidecar had been a better match.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
roofus
Posted 10/10/2013 6:36 PM (#74450 - in reply to #74449)

New User

Thanks for your advice Jay.

I have been having second thoughts about the pairing and your comments are very helpful.
BMW Lady
Posted 11/1/2013 3:56 PM (#74815 - in reply to #74450)

I had a Velorex 560 mounted to my '85 R80 BMW that weighs about what your Guzzi does, +/- 15 pounds. My installer used the DMC subframe and added 75# to the sidecar frame and I'm just pleased as punch. I'm no speedster, 65 is fine for me on this rig. Granted I've only been learning it all since mid May and have yet to go onto smaller roads. I'm not comfortable with the idea of "flying the chair" and drive conservatively enough to not have to deal with that. Your Guzzi no doubt has way more power than my BMW but I used what I had to put the sidecar with. Can't touch the ground well enough any more to be safe from tip overs and the sidecar was the best idea I could come up with, given my budget and requirements.

Don't dismiss the idea without a little more research. Jay knows what he's talking about but if it's a case of using what you've got, think long and hard.

Enjoy the ride.
roofus
Posted 11/1/2013 5:32 PM (#74816 - in reply to #74815)

New User

Thank you for your input. I am still mulling it over. My installer said he would re-enforce the frame and build a sub-frame, replace the shock with a beefier one, add some weight and he also recommended a stronger wheel and better tire. It's probably going to cost me more than the side car itself if I decide to install it :-0

Like you I am a pretty conservative driver (63) and I don't anticipate "flying the chair" as you say. My bull terrier Humphrey has already volunteered to be my monkey!

I won't do anything until the spring because the Guzzi has been put to bed for the winter.

I appreciate Jay's experience and advice because he clearly knows his stuff. My installer repairs motorcycle and installs side cars for a living and he is a highly successful sidecar racer in this area so I am not worried about him doing a poor job.

I could get a new and better sidecar for less money but I like the look of the Velorex!
Dadio4
Posted 5/26/2015 9:53 PM (#84569 - in reply to #74448)

New User

I know this is 18 months after the fact, but I would really like to know what you decided. I just bought a 2007 MG Cali Vintage that came with a Velorex 565. Front mount is broken and I am searching for options.
roofus
Posted 5/28/2015 5:52 PM (#84590 - in reply to #84569)

New User

I traded the 2007 California Vintage on a 2013 V7 Special (750cc)

I still have the side car but I haven't decided whether to mount it on the V7 or not.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software