Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I couldnt fixs your brakes so, I made your horn louder!"

smaller outfits
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 9/21/2004 12:47 AM (#4787)
Subject: smaller outfits

looking through the threads i see that most of you have bigger bikes, what with all the banter between goldwings and harleys but is there anyone here with a smaller outfit?

i learnt to ride three wheels on a 350cc Jawa with velorex sidecar so mega power ain't always needed unless you are travelling on motorways (all right thats what we call big roads here in england).

so are there any people with smaller outfits on this site?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 9/21/2004 1:57 PM (#4790 - in reply to #4787)
Subject: RE: smaller outfits

Expert

Oldbikerr,
I have setup many smaller rigs with the Jawa/Velorex sidecars. The most recent being a 250 Honda Reflex/562 outfit that we recently sold. Just finished a 600 Silverwing/562 rig. (Is that too big?) Also rigged a 1970 Honda CB350/562E for an elderly gentleman who just wanted to put the back roads, a 250 Honda Helix and I sold an older right mount Swallow to a lady who was putting it on a Yamaha 125 Riva. She and her husband have a fabricating shop in Oregon and wanted to mount their own.
The most popular smaller displacement bikes around here for hack usage are the 650cc Yamahas, Hondas and some Suzukis from the late '70s up. Good tugs, moderately priced bikes and they will run with the big dogs when necessary.
The scooters are making a big comeback from the '60s here and I see more interest in sidecaring them. Since we are seeing up to $3.00 and more gas prices here now, that seems to be a good incentive for more compact commuting and daily usage.
Motorcycles are still grossly under utilized here in the US for basic transportation. Some of this is due to the "Bad Boy" image of bikers that still remains as a leftover from the '50s and '60s. Even though the
"Harley" crowd has gone mainstream, there remains a bit of a stigma when showing up on two wheels wearing protective clothing. Some Motels will still turn on the "NO Vacancy" sign when you pull up. Three wheels is a lot more acceptable to the masses, but mainly as a curiosity.

By the way, is 72 old enough to be considered an old biker?

Posted 9/21/2004 3:17 PM (#4792 - in reply to #4787)

72? hey grandad (sorry i'm only 47) i've ridden a friends 250 honda and velo chair for over 1200 miles, a 175 bsa bantam and chair(make unknown)and have owned 4 jawas two with chairs and a chair which i used to bolt to either of the other two bikes.
all were good fun on the backroads and on the beeza it was good to travell at 30-40 mph for a 20 mile journey.
my sons used to curl up in the chair and fall to sleep on our 35 mile round shopping trips. well maybe they were just telling how boring it was,heh heh!
cheers ratty
carney
Posted 10/1/2004 6:19 PM (#4888 - in reply to #4787)

I have a MZ Silver Star Classic, 1994 with Rotax 500cc Single. Great rig for what it is. Can run 60-65 all day and get close to 50mpg. As you know, MZ set that up at the factory with 562 Velorex chair.
Regards,
Carney

Posted 10/2/2004 2:52 AM (#4897 - in reply to #4787)

the rotax engined mz outfit sounds interesting, i have 2 mates with rotax engined armstrongs which i have ridden but neither has a chair attached.
i am going to buy either a 350 or 500 royal enfield and put a chair on it, obviously the 500 would be preferable but i wanted to find out if anyone had experience with bikes of around 350cc.
sidecarLenny
Posted 10/2/2004 9:42 AM (#4902 - in reply to #4787)

I don't know the difference between the two but if you are planning on putting a chair on it go with the bigger bike.
There is no replacement for displacement.
Spend the extra money and get the 500cc model.
SidecarMike
Posted 10/2/2004 11:01 AM (#4907 - in reply to #4792)

Expert

Originally written by oldbikerr on 9/21/2004 2:17 PM
my sons used to curl up in the chair and fall to sleep on our 35 mile round shopping trips. well maybe they were just telling how boring it was,heh heh!
cheers ratty

My 30 year old daughter sleeps in my sidecar all the time. She says it's because she always feels safe when I'm driving. Maybe that's how they felt as well.

carney
Posted 10/2/2004 4:17 PM (#4912 - in reply to #4787)

Oldbiker,
The armstrong bike you mentioned has the 500cc Rotax. Good engine, will run high miles with no problems, lots of torque. A good choice I think to pull a chair; I would go with bigger cc choice. Used over here in a lot of flat tracking. Think HD bought the Armstrong MC Company so they could provide the Armstrong Military MT500 to the US Army. Same engine as in the MZ
Carney

Posted 10/5/2004 5:17 PM (#4926 - in reply to #4787)

I know most of those on this site appear to chose their bikes for the power to handle freeway speed, but I bought a 750cc 2003 Ural Tourist/sidecar outfit this summer for touring the backroads. It's for sale now because I'm scheduled for a third spine surgery next month and the doc says no more riding at all. The Ural is easy to handle, goes 60-65 without problem, has good gas mileage, and is a nice looking outfit. I was told it needs a little routine maintenance (adjusting valves) every month or so of riding. It came with 3 owners manuals and a bunch of cds to help the new owner with riding instructions and maintenance instructions. So far, it's been very dependable. My husband rides it weekly to keep it fresh and charged up. He is also a Harley rider so it took him a couple of weeks to get used to the different handling characteristics. Now he would rather take the Ural out than his bike. He says it's a lot of fun. Compared to other sidecar outfits,its price is really reasonable.
herwing
Posted 10/6/2004 3:53 AM (#4930 - in reply to #4926)

Veteran

Hi RaChel,
I hate riding on interstates! I sure wish someone would tell me how to avoid that, I mean if you ever want to get anywhere! We'll be leaving in a little over a week for Daytona Beach and that's nothing but interstates. I actually do get to ride one mile (the distance from my house to I-81) before I get on the interstate. If everyone drove the actual speed limit on those stupid things, I wouldn't have a bit of problem with them. Speed limit, ha! That's just a number if the troopers give you a ticket. My friends from Indiana call I-81 the interstate from hell (it's loaded with semis). Then you have to make it through the insanity that is Charlotte, NC (those concrete roads in NC are no fun with a sidecar, either). Oh, and I-95 is the best part, some of the pavement is so lousy that it just about shakes the crap out of a sidehacker. And there is one really bad bump (no warning sign) that I swear is enough to totally wreck you if you don't see it in time to prepare for it (I think they buried an elephant or something of similar size just under the pavement). Trying to deal with all of that while trying not to get run over by the traffic doing 80+ mph, makes for a very tedious ride.
But what I started writing about was to say how sorry I am that a problem with your back is going to end your riding. I looked at the picture of your rig. It's really nice! Are you sure that after your surgery, the doctor won't change his mind? When you have the surgery, I hope that everthing goes a million times better than expected!!! If you let us know when the surgery is scheduled, I'll hold you in my prayers!

Connie
sidecarLenny
Posted 10/6/2004 11:50 AM (#4934 - in reply to #4787)

Hi RaChel
saw the photos of you bike and I would try to hold on to it if you can handle it from a financial stand point. Winter is coming and prices drop on selling bikes.
I don't know what the surgery is about but doctors are not always right and who knows you may be able to take your hack for a short spin AND that would be better than giving up riding all together!!!
Plan you trips carefully with slow/less traveled roads.
Your husband likes to ride it; so maybe he can use it on occassion .
Trying to help out so uyou don't have to lose the rig .Hang in there.
keep the faith
Hack'n
Posted 10/6/2004 12:02 PM (#4935 - in reply to #4926)
Subject: RE: Back problems

Expert

RaChel,
Don't give up hope, things have been known to get better. They did for me.
I blew a couple of discs in 1973 and had to get rid of my Norton 750 Combat Commando (loved that bike). I was back up riding in a couple of years on smaller Enduro on/off road bikes. Blew my back out again in 1977 and had to get rid of my new FXS Lo-Rider (1,600 miles on it). For physical therapy that time I went to riding a mountain bike on paved trails and roads for low impact. The bike allowed my arms and shoulders to take a lot of the strain off the back. In 1987 it dawned on me that if I could ride a bicycle for 26 miles I could certainly ride a motorcycle (with proper ergonomics)so I bought a 1987 Sportster, kept it for 4 months and traded up to a FXLR which I rode for 13 years with and without a hack on the side. Had my last lower back surgury in 2001 and by using a little common sense (and body mechanics) am able to function fine without anything more than Ibuproffin.
Last week I got back from a 4,600k tour on my '03 FXDL Lo-Rider, through western BC, Idaho, Glacier Park, Montana,along the Continental Divide, The Craters of the Moon and back through Idaho and Washington. My butt got sore a couple of times and one knee acted up a bit but my back was fine.

Wishing you the same recovery, or better,

Lonnie
sidecarLenny
Posted 10/6/2004 12:30 PM (#4937 - in reply to #4787)

SEE RACHEL
Look at lonnies story and there are many more out there!!! we all ride with some pain or disabilities!!!!!!!And there are many of us riding after the doctor told us to give it up. You can do it . Just work hard to build up your body!!!!!
Again sell the bike only if you are strapped for $$$$.
You will never get that bike back for the same price.
This will give you the incentive to work hard with your therapist!!!!!
Winter is coming and you may not plan to ride much in the cold weather and that time can be devoted to builing up your muscles so you can ride in the spring!!!
herwing
Posted 10/6/2004 3:33 PM (#4938 - in reply to #4926)

Veteran

Hi RaChel,

See, everyone here is rooting for you!!! Don't give up until you find out for yourself what you can do!
My mother had fits, but when I was pregnant I rode on the back of my husband's Harley until I just couldn't stand the bouncing. Lots of doctors have unfounded prejudice against motorcycle riding. My doctor wasn't thrilled to tell me that it wouldn't hurt me to ride because he said that he didn't like motorcycles or the kinds of injuries that they cause. Hopefully, your doctor is just one of "those" doctors!!!

Connie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software