Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Stories without miles are just stories.
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Choosing a car
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Sergeant Major
Posted 9/29/2004 11:48 AM (#4863)
Subject: Choosing a car

New User

I am a total neophyte regarding sidecars so I am looking for advice and information as to what to look for in an inexpensive used hack to hang on my bike...I have an 85 Honda 650 Nighthawk shaft drive with fairly low mileage on it...I plan to have the bike gone through completely this winter and find a car to add to it...any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SidecarMike
Posted 9/29/2004 7:12 PM (#4868 - in reply to #4863)
Subject: RE: Choosing a car

Expert

Check out http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SKUNKtails/ Quite a few of us are very close to you and have a variety of rigs you can look at for ideas. Gust and I are in Menomonie, Hahnda is in Rice Lake, Sheldon is just north of Hudson, Al and Mark are in Minneapolis, etc. You get the idea.
Hack'n
Posted 9/30/2004 4:59 PM (#4877 - in reply to #4863)

Expert

The 650 Nighthawk goes well with any of the Velorex line. The 562 standard or Cruiser and the 700 Cruiser are three choices.
Ours start at $1,849.00 with all accessories included, plus shipping, with after sale tech support thrown in for free.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Edited by Hack'n 9/30/2004 5:00 PM
sidecarLenny
Posted 10/2/2004 9:54 AM (#4903 - in reply to #4863)

Veteran

I agree with all the above except no one mentioned looking around for a a used sidecar.
I found a velroex 562 for $ 600.oo and with a little work and paint, it worked out great for my first rig.
Sidecar driving is not for everyong ane I would not want to see someone spend alot of money and get stuck with a sidecar they have to sell at a big loss.
One big advantage to buying new is you get more expert advice and would probably have hte dealer put it on your bike.
So if you are handy look for a good used 562 velorex, and if you are not handy go to a dealer and spend the extra$$$ to be safe.

SidecarMike
Posted 10/2/2004 11:15 AM (#4908 - in reply to #4903)

Expert

Originally written by sidecarLenny on 10/2/2004 8:54 AM

I agree with all the above except no one mentioned looking around for a a used sidecar.

I agree. When I bought my HitchHiker I put a "Sidecar Wanted" ad in the St. Paul Pioneer Press. The ad ran Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I received something like 40 calls. Many of them were things people had laying in the back of a garage or barn and didn't think were worth advertising. I wish I could have bought them all.

sidecarLenny
Posted 10/6/2004 12:03 PM (#4936 - in reply to #4863)

Veteran

Did you see in the clssified ads that Handa is selling his rig.
Matbe you should figure out all the work you have to do to your bike plus finding a uased tub and the time and expense in setting it all up.
thaen decide if its just cheaper and easier to by something used and raedy to ride.
Just trying to help out.

Posted 12/9/2004 11:11 PM (#5596 - in reply to #4863)

That Nighthawk S is a *perfect* 1st time s/c tug. Enough power to get you thru traffic but not so much as to launch you to the Moon. Solid motor, no BS shaft FD and hyd valve lash adjusters, Honda dealer network and reliability. Best of all, it has a twin tube cradle frame and easily accepts a s/c.

I see you are from Mpls, MN. I'd check out those Skunk riders. They are all decent fellers and would be happy to see you get set up and safely on your way. May I also suggets Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly?
http://www.motorbyte.com
The publisher runs a Ural, one writer runs a Stella scooter + Cozy s/c, I am building *some*thing w/ three wheels this winter etc etc

The Velorex is an excellent choice.
http://www.velorexusa.com/products.htm
They are a good product and appropriate mass-wise to your size machine. They have a new model this year - the 565 Super-tour or something. If you want dealer help, may I recommend the Motocycle Shop in Watertown, SD. They are a Velorex dealer, and one of their employees is an excellent installer and s/c truer. They are on the web. Write me if you need add'l help.

Dauntless in Seattle offers a Kenna fiberglass s/c in the $2,500 range. Dauntless is the bomb. No BS; great service;100% weasel-free.
http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/sidecars.htm
They also offer new Ural all-steel cars at about the same price. The Ural is a good option because it is built to take on Russian (non)roads. They are heavier than the f/glass options, but I don't think that a heavier car is necc. a problem for a first time s/c rider. YMMV There are also one or two Ural car sources near Mpls if you'd rather

Finally, please remember:

Sidecars can KILL you.

They are neither a car nor a m/c. They are their own freaky creature and require practice, respect and patience. While the operation learning curve is steep, it brings its own reward and riding satisfaction. MAy I suggest that you buy/borrow and read "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" It is an excellent tutorial and may save yer can. For a review:
http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2004/71/book71.htm

Good luck and stay in touch. you have friends here and in Mpls.

peace

sev
Hack'n
Posted 12/10/2004 2:07 PM (#5604 - in reply to #5596)

Expert

If I may add to BMWsev's post,
The new Velorex is the 565 Tour model, list price $2,799.00. All the Velorex line cars now use a 20mm axle.
The URAL cars list at $2,310.00 but that price is a long way from the cost of the car mounted to your Honda in MN. You might have to add another $1,000.00 by the time you pay for shipping, mounting attachments and fabrication. Don't forget the steering damper that is almost always needed with the heavier URAL cars (add $150. $200. more maybe).
The best bang for your buck is the Velorex 562C Cruiser. Sturdy adjustable suspension and everything needed except the bike to install and it comes with all the accessories. (At least mine do).

And remember: Bathtubs can KILL you. (And don't run with the scissors).

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
nwsidecar@aol.com

Edited by Hack'n 12/10/2004 2:09 PM
claude #3563
Posted 12/10/2004 11:19 PM (#5613 - in reply to #5604)

Expert

You can also download the excellent books by USCA Co Founder Hal Kendall right here at sidecar.com for free. Hal has donated this material with the sole intent of helping those just getting into this great sport. Be sure to check them out.
And..YES, you may want to go join the SKUNK site. Most of the guys have been into sidecars for a couple of years now and are doing a swell job ..they are having a ton of fun to boot. click here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SKUNKtails/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software