Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
- (Added by: DAVE)

Seatbelts for a Harley Ultra Sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 10/7/2004 4:00 PM (#4944)
Subject: Seatbelts for a Harley Ultra Sidecar

I'm interested in any information on were to get seatbelts for a Harley Ultra sidecar or seatbelts that can be used in the sidecar as well as installation tips.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 10/8/2004 2:00 PM (#4952 - in reply to #4944)
Subject: RE: Seatbelts for a Harley Ultra Sidecar

Expert

DOT approved universal seatbelts are available for cheap at most any Auto supply house. There are several different lengths (and colors) to choose from and they come with instructions so that you can mount the brackets at the rear body mount locations.

Posted 10/8/2004 2:13 PM (#4953 - in reply to #4952)

Thanks for the reply. Are we talking the standard everyday part store for the consumser or large supply houses used by the dealers?
Ohioguy
Posted 10/27/2004 5:50 PM (#5133 - in reply to #4944)

I'm in the process of putting seatbelts in my Ural sidecar. I'm using the center back seat seatbelt as it doesn't use the shoulder type of belt. If any part is not long enought cut one of the shoulder belt to lenghten. I'm sure you can go to a shoe repair shop to have it sewn. Contact me for any questions. I paid $6.00 for a used belt from a junk yard.
Hack'n
Posted 10/28/2004 1:16 PM (#5136 - in reply to #4953)

Expert

The two point belts are available from almost any discount auto supply store complete with all the fittings and in several lengths. They are inexpensive enough that I would recommend buying new ones.
Nylon does deteriorate and weaken with age and exposure to the elements.
On sidecars with a support point for a three point shoulder belt, a newer late model compact automobile belt should work OK.
Huey
Posted 10/30/2004 11:09 PM (#5153 - in reply to #5133)

Veteran

On the Ural web site there is a current posting of a couple that were on a Ural rig when they crashed into the rear end of a car in front of them. The passenger in the sidecar was pitched out and died, and the driver, her husband, is now in critical condition.

There has been a long standing debate at that site and others with people who think they are useless and that a passenger runs a higher risk of the sidecar flipping over and crashing down onto the passenger's (monkey's) head if they were strapped in with a seat belt. I have always thought that there is little to no actual scientific testing by the industry to prove or disprove anything either way. However, this particular accident was not by an unskilled driver. So far, the statistics or accunts of actual wrecks that I have seen support the need for a seatbelt over the risk of not using one for the monkey. I don't have a rig yet, but when I get one I will adapt a seatbelt very hastily. The dynamics of the open sidecar rig seem to support it acts like a slingshot once the vehicle is tilted forward at a high rate of speed. I know this will not sway anyone who disagrees with the logic, but it is enough to make up my mind.
Huey

Posted 11/10/2004 4:42 PM (#5286 - in reply to #5153)
Subject: RE: Sidecar Mounting on a Lowered HD

I put the seat belt in my hack to please my wife. When we were in Richmond for Club Hog this year she came off the seat a couple of times, the roads are terrible. The seat belt is to provide both of us with a little extra peace of mind. I don't know how much real good it would do in an accident.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software