Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: YOUR LIFE DOES PASS BEFORE YOUR EYE'S BEFORE YOU DIE, IT'S CALLED LIVING !!!!

Experienced Triker Needs Advice About Getting Into Sidecars
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 10/17/2004 5:57 PM (#5053)
Subject: Experienced Triker Needs Advice About Getting Into Sidecars

I have a Goldwing 1800 lehman trike and absolutely love it. I was thinking about adding a motorvation formula II sidecar to my 2004 Harley Electra glide. I have never even driven a motorcycle with sidecar so I am a bit concerned if I will like the characteristics that the asymmetry provides. However, I want to take my two kids along on rides and they are to young to put safely behind me on the trike. So heres the questions:

1.) Do you get use to the quirky handling I have read about enough so that the variety and fun of taking the kids along in the sidecar won't leave me wishing I was on my trike.

2.) Can you go down the interstate at 75 and feel the rig is solid and well controlled. My trike can easily cruise 75mph even when its windy. I have no intention on going that fast with kids but when I am by myself and the traffic is going that fast, I want to stay in the flow.

3.) I pull a classic aspen motorcycle camper with my trike, can you still pull a 400 pound trailer with a sidecar with decent stability, or is that pushing it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Scott / Chicago
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Huey
Posted 10/17/2004 6:52 PM (#5054 - in reply to #5053)
Subject: RE: Experienced Triker Needs Advice About Getting Into Sidecars

I think you would be hard pressed to find the dynamics of a motorcycle and a typical trike similar. The 3 wheels you have are much more prone to doing weird things than the hack when steering in certain situations. However, both have steering characteristics that you probably have to almost unlearn if you switch from one to the other. I am not an expert, so don't take this as biblical information from me, please. I'd simply suggest that you check out people in your immediate area who have sidecars and maybe spend a bit of time in meeting them and even getting on a hack to see for yourself. There is no learning that can't be adapted, but actually sitting on one and driving it will be a better guage than tips from others on a web board, I suspect.

I know there are some Ural riders in your area and I suspect that there are Honda hacks out there as well in the immediate area. Take the time to search them out and find out what to expect. I think the Honda can meet and exceed your expectations, but a stock Ural would be pushing it on highway speeds as the norm. I think you will be well pleased with the Honda and may really enjoy the switch. However, just check it out in person and see what they really feel like.

I can only guess on the trailer question. I think even sidecars are limited with the trailers, but there are hitches that adapt well. I think the load capacity is more the problem than how it is hooked up, but I admit that I am only guessing.
Huey.......who loves sidecars and trikes as well.

Edited by Huey 10/17/2004 6:58 PM
SidecarMike
Posted 10/17/2004 6:57 PM (#5055 - in reply to #5053)
Subject: RE: Experienced Triker Needs Advice About Getting Into Sidecars

Expert

Originally written by scottjohnson345 on 10/17/2004 4:57 PM

I have a Goldwing 1800 lehman trike and absolutely love it. I was thinking about adding a motorvation formula II sidecar to my 2004 Harley Electra glide. I have never even driven a motorcycle with sidecar so I am a bit concerned if I will like the characteristics that the asymmetry provides. However, I want to take my two kids along on rides and they are to young to put safely behind me on the trike. So heres the questions:

1.) Do you get use to the quirky handling I have read about enough so that the variety and fun of taking the kids along in the sidecar won't leave me wishing I was on my trike.

Yes. Turning right is just like the trike, if you do it wrong the wheel comes up, if you do it right, no problem

2.) Can you go down the interstate at 75 and feel the rig is solid and well controlled. My trike can easily cruise 75mph even when its windy. I have no intention on going that fast with kids but when I am by myself and the traffic is going that fast, I want to stay in the flow.

Yes, mine is on a Valkyrie, but I can easily and comfortably ride from Menomonie, WI to Watertown, (239 miles) in 3 1/2 hours.

3.) I pull a classic aspen motorcycle camper with my trike, can you still pull a 400 pound trailer with a sidecar with decent stability, or is that pushing it.

Pulled a Time Out tent camper behind a 1200 Goldwing with my wife on the bike and my son in the sidecar. I've got a large cargo trailer now but I haven't pulled it yet.
I should warn you though, if you're like quite a number of folks here, you'll lose interest in that trike real soon. I know I did. It's awful nice to be able to bring the spouse AND kids along.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Scott / Chicago

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software