Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: BIRDS OF THE SAME FEATHER STICK TOGETHER (I ALWAYS TELL MY KIDS)
- (Added by: DENNY7P)

One more thing no one told me about - shock preload
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

pbrowne
Posted 7/20/2014 9:32 AM (#78942)
Subject: One more thing no one told me about - shock preload

Regular

I continue to learn about setting up the outfit. A couple of days ago I started playing with the rear shocks preload. Right handers had been less than easy. When I finally set them on max, it made a huge difference. Right handers are much easier now. Set too soft, I guess the bike tended to roll more to the left tending to unweight the sidecar wheel too much. Now, it's much more controllable even when the sidecar wheel comes off the ground. I don't feel that the ride is less comfortable either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 7/20/2014 1:43 PM (#78950 - in reply to #78942)
Subject: RE: One more thing no one told me about - shock preload

Expert

If you want to carry the secure feeling to the max, call Claude Stanley and ask about one of his sway bars.
SwampFox
Posted 7/20/2014 1:52 PM (#78951 - in reply to #78942)
Subject: Re: One more thing no one told me about - shock preload

Expert

Sorry 'bout failing to mention that Paul. The bike not only carries extra weight from the sidecar, but also has to "hold up" in left hand turns as you mention. Similarly, the sidecar suspension should be firm enough so as not to compress too much in left hand turns, which can impair a smooth ride with the lightweight sidecars. We've found handling with the Texas Rangers can be sensitive to proper preload whether empty or heavily "occupied." And, yes, Claude's sway bars can ...carry the secure feeling to the max.
Peter Pan
Posted 7/20/2014 2:21 PM (#78952 - in reply to #78942)

Expert

A sway/torsion bar is a good thing to have.
Accourding to where I drive often I stiffen up for stability and race style riding
or loosen the suspension for ease back pain, but then then there is not much fun scretching serpentines. (then normally I go way down with tire pressure too, which I will have to readjust when I get back to asphalt road with the Russian exercise pump./ who needs to pay a gymn when he rides a Ural or Jawa rig?)
You got it. You need to adjust the rig for what you want to do with it and for the conditions you ride at.
BTW> Most original solo shocks are too weak for sidecar use. You have a multiple load specially on the back wheel.
Have fun.
Sven

Edited by Peter Pan 7/20/2014 2:22 PM
pbrowne
Posted 7/21/2014 5:04 PM (#78981 - in reply to #78942)

Regular

I talked to Claude Stanley. I have my outfit set up pretty well now, but it sounds like a sway bar is a really good investment. The sway bar may be a winter project. In the meantime, I've looked at lots of posts on the subject. Maybe when the snow flies, I'll contemplate this with the tub off and lubricate the brain cells with several Sierra Nevadas.

Edited by pbrowne 7/21/2014 5:16 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software