Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Help in identifying manufacturer and model
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Hack'n
Posted 11/5/2004 12:14 PM (#5241 - in reply to #5237)
Subject: RE: Help in identifying manufacturer and model

Expert

Since there is more than one model of Hitchhiker there are some that may be suited for the larger bikes and some not.
If the chassis and suspension will support the Harley (sideloads) and it can be ballasted to approach near 1/3 of the Harleys combined weight, there shouldn't be a problem with normal usage.
An example is the thousands of older Velorexes, American Eagles and Eagle Spirits that have been mounted on GLs and Hogs. And still are. Maybe not an ideal mix, but certainly a common one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Fly
Posted 11/5/2004 1:49 PM (#5242 - in reply to #5180)

Extreme Veteran

wickedfun...we can't keep meeting like this. but since we are i have been thinking about this for the past couple hours. you already have the bike and the sidecar. you want a sidecar rig. might as well put them together. what was the hitchhiker on before?
fly
claude #3563
Posted 11/5/2004 3:59 PM (#5243 - in reply to #5242)

Expert

I agree with Da Fly. Go for it. Add som eballast ..beef up the shock as/if needed and have fun. Take it easy, read Hal's books and practice in a place where you ain't gunna hit nothing.
But..Lonnie., a Spirit Eagle on Gl or a Big Twin Harley? Nope, can't stretch my feelings that far and feel good about it. Put one on a Honda 750A A WHILE BACK AND YOU COULD NOT EVEN GET ON THE BIKE AND KEEP THE WHEEL DOWN. It took ballast, suspension and a lot of messin with to get to work and I never did feel right about the spoked wheel with little tire ..still don't.

Posted 11/5/2004 6:07 PM (#5244 - in reply to #5242)

Now that you mention it, we HAVE been spending quite a lot of time in one another's thoughts...good thing we can prove it was not premeditated huh?

As it happens, hubby took you guys at your words on Wednesday. He decided that if you all thought the bike was too heavy, and since it was his lovely wife (that'd be me) and his only daughter riding the rig, he did not want to risk an unsafe combo.

He went to "Bike Night" with a few pals, put the word on the street, and voila he just told me he had sold the side car. ??!!??

Sooo...ummm...can I just hang out here and flirt with you now fly?

Also, I don't know what the side car HAD been mounted on, the buddy I bought it from had planned to put it on a Honda of some sort (I can NOT remember what he was riding back then, but it never made it onto the bike. He sold that bike in favor of a Pacific Coast, and the side car was no longer considered a good match for the new bike. (That is where it came into our life).

Ah well...off to dinner, early to bed, then up the road to pick up MY new bike in the morning.

Dee

Fly
Posted 11/5/2004 6:37 PM (#5245 - in reply to #5180)

Extreme Veteran

toobad about the sidecar. you might as well hang out. once you have been bitten by the sidecar bug you are bitten. keep looking you will find a nice rig. in the mean time study up on them.
fly
Hack'n
Posted 11/5/2004 7:10 PM (#5246 - in reply to #5243)

Expert

Claude,
Good to have you back aboard. Hope all is well.
I wasn't recommending the Eagles, just saying it has been done. That was about the flimsiest chassis I have run across that has been tied to a larger bike. Just scan through back issues of Hack'd or the Sidecarist and there they are.
This is all moot now since the Hitchhiker has been sold. Let's see what she gets next, maybe we can all jump in again.

Ciao,

Lonnie
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software