Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Remember riding isn't inherently dangerous... Crashing is! - Chopper Mick
- (Added by: Administrator)

A Newby...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 11/24/2004 7:18 AM (#5423 - in reply to #5422)
Subject: RE: A Newby...

You're absolutely right, Connie, particularly on I-95 between DC and Richmond. Normally on that stretch, I have to crank it up to around 85 just to stay with traffic flow... 90-95 to stay with the faster ones. Also go to SW VA (west of Bristol) some and as you know, I-81 is getting much worse than a few years ago. Last Sunday we ran with the "flow" on 81 at around 80. I don't drive interstates unless on long trips, but have never had any trouble with lack of power yet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sidecar_fletch
Posted 11/25/2004 5:27 AM (#5432 - in reply to #5260)

Hi all,
Thanks everyone for your input and/or advice. You all have given me a lot of points of views to consider. My concern about my future sidecar has more to do with convienence, functionality, and safety than it does with weight. The bike was designed from the factory to tug around a hack weighing in at 243 lb. The CSC site lists the weight of Friendship II and III at 225 lbs. Even if I do not plan to buy either of those hacks, I plan to stay in that weight range anyway. Keep the advice coming! I need all I can get. Thanks again!
sidecar_fletch
Posted 11/25/2004 6:02 AM (#5433 - in reply to #5260)

Fred "sticksfgt"
I went to the Hannigan website and took a look at the Astro 2+2. It is a nice looking car. They look like good quality cars. I also have a soon to be five year old that will have some input into the car that I get. After all she will be the one in the chair most of the time anyway lol. Thanks again Fred!
claude #3563
Posted 11/25/2004 9:41 AM (#5434 - in reply to #5433)

Expert

CHECK OUT MOTORVATION SIDECARS. The Formula II IS AN EXCELLENT ONE TO CONSIDER. I HAVE HAD ONE FOR YEARS AND HAVE HAULED TWO KIDS IN IT MANY TIMES...LOTS OF ROOM. They are also very very service oriented.
Hack'n
Posted 11/25/2004 2:03 PM (#5438 - in reply to #5432)

Expert

Fletch,
You're right about not having the (advertised) weight of the sidecar be a prime factor in choosing the hack.
The claimed MFGs. weight of the car is a far cry from the actual ready to ride weight after adding accessories, passenger load, fuel, batteries, ballast, or whatever.
The same applies to the bike. The brochure weight is dry weight. Add the rider(s), accessories, fluids and about one half the weight of the sidecar to that. This is what you really have to deal with.
The old ratio of about 1/3rd hack weight and 2/3rds of bike weight still holds true for a good starting point, balance wise. With sturdy suspension it will get you down the road with a minimum of gymnastics like hanging off and such.
sidecar_fletch
Posted 11/26/2004 5:15 AM (#5441 - in reply to #5260)

Thanks Claude for the tip on Motorvation sidecars. They are sharp looking pieces of equipment. Being service oriented is always a real plus! A friend of a friend's friend ...ect... of mine just purchased a Motorvation sidecar a couple of years ago. He said that he did not want to sell it, but he would be more than happy to show me around it. I am going to try to slip down to North Carolina and look at it this weekend. Thanks again for the tip Claude!
claude #3563
Posted 11/26/2004 7:23 AM (#5442 - in reply to #5441)

Expert

Fletch,
Be sure to let us kno wwhat youthink of the Motorvation.I feel it may be a great choice for you.
Claude
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software