Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: People like me are the reason people like you can complain about people like me....
- (Added by: Dean & Betty)

mounting SOA eagle on 79 Kawasaki twin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Harold
Posted 9/15/2014 8:27 PM (#80149)
Subject: mounting SOA eagle on 79 Kawasaki twin

New User

Hello. First post. I'm trying to get help or more probably need to find someone reasonably local (I live in Northern New Jersey, near Morristown) to help me get the eagle mounted on my 79 KZ 750. I had it on this bike and took it off 15 or so years ago. I've made multiple attempts and start- over attempts. I have it on, but it is a lot of work to drive. My being 15 years older doesn't help. I lost one of the clamps and current mount is using the rear foot peg mount. I replaced the tire with a Heidenau 3.50 mob tire that seemed to have noticeably changed the frame height in relation to the bike, but don't think that should be causing me so much trouble, I set it up with the original instructions that I still have. I used the engine crash bar to mount the clamp for the z bar. I know that was not recommended, but that's how I had it mounted the first time when it drove much better. So basically it's a mess. Any help would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RichardMc4
Posted 9/15/2014 9:51 PM (#80151 - in reply to #80149)
Subject: Re: mounting SOA eagle on 79 Kawasaki twin

Elite Veteran

Start here http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp
jaydmc
Posted 9/16/2014 11:28 AM (#80154 - in reply to #80149)

Expert

We do offer proper frame clamps however in general we try to use few frame clamps. It has been years since we mounted a sidecar on a bike like yours. From memory there are several bolts on the frame cross tube brace under the steering head where you can attach a proper sub frame for the front upper. NEVER use a crash bar! The lower rear you remove the center stand and make a sub frame that picks up both of its attachment points as well as the passenger foot peg mount. The upper rear a proper frame clamp (not a bent piece of flat steel like SOE used) works well. The lower front sub frame picks up the engine mounting bolts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
Harold
Posted 9/18/2014 7:38 PM (#80213 - in reply to #80149)
Subject: RE: mounting SOA eagle on 79 Kawasaki twin

New User

Thanks for the information.
I so far have demonstrated that I can't even bolt up what I had.
I would like to get the car on safely and driving well.
I have arrived at the age and condition that having the third wheel will help me keep riding.
Are there any installers or other mechanically able folks in a reasonable radius that I could contact for help?
Is the cost and effort to get the rig put together properly apt to be enough that I should be trying to find a properly set up used rig instead of putting mine back together?

Thanks again for the info and comments.
davet
Posted 9/22/2014 5:47 PM (#80267 - in reply to #80149)

Veteran

Claude Stanley is a highly regarded sidecar builder and installer about 150 miles from you in Middleburg, PA. You might want to call him if that's not too far away for you. Look him up at www.freedomsidecars.com . Good luck.
Harold
Posted 9/28/2014 2:32 PM (#80340 - in reply to #80149)

New User

Tanks for the additional info. 150 miles is a hike, but I can start with a call. Jay G also gave his phone number, so I might be able to get some additional guidance from him. Thanks again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software