Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it.>Cicero<
- (Added by: RumpStun)

Electra Glide Fork
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

56t-bird
Posted 9/19/2014 1:50 PM (#80220)
Subject: Electra Glide Fork

Just came back from Isola d'Elba (Italy). The frame of my rig got some hard beatings, as well as the driver. Washboard dirt roads, one foot asphalt bumps due to underlying tree roots, the usual pot holes. On those spectacular winding roads along the shores with nasty narrow and blind curves, when forcefully cranking the handlebar, there were some funny noises like sizzleing & creaking somewhere from the front. Was probably not the wind shield or front fairing, although at these very moments I wishfully thought it was to alleviate my psyche. When doing service on my Electra Glide some months ago, my mechanic, test driving the rig, suggested to exchange the upper part of the fork, especially the spring system, since the standard one was by far not compatible wth the physics of the rig. He mentioned that in the solo Glide around 2006 the front fork spring diameter was increased, thus strenghened, by HD Co being aware of the weakness of the given front fork. He suggested to put in the 2006 spring system in my 2004 Glide (apparently that works), and, since the boat demands even higher forces, a custom made spring of extra strength. He said (and I believe him since he doesn't need extra work and income) that my upper fork dives way too low in curves (left one in right curve and vice versa), and that I was unfortunately never experienceing side car driving as it could and should be. In his eyes, the current situation was even life threatening. Since it came with a hefty prize tag, I was not jumping on the offer. I did long tours just right so far, and I'm used to the rig's driving behavior as is, as suboptimal it may be.

These funny noises in the curves made me think about the offer again.

What do you think? Any similar experiences?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 9/19/2014 3:33 PM (#80221 - in reply to #80220)
Subject: Re: Electra Glide Fork

Expert

We have done many bikes like yours both with sidecars and trikes, have a few in the shop right now. We like to reduce trail on the front for easier steering. This is done with changing the triple tree's to tree's that change the angle of the forks moving the front wheel forward. This will reduce the stress on the front end and also lower your steering effort. With the tree's we put spacers onto the top of the forks to bring the bike up to stock ride height. Seldom if ever change out the springs as stock springs work ok on these bikes. Less stress on the forks might solve your issue, kind of hard long distance to know just what is going on.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
dawg gone
Posted 9/20/2014 11:22 PM (#80232 - in reply to #80220)
Subject: RE: Electra Glide Fork

Regular

'07 EGlide TLE racked trees
when under strain will groan and sometimes pop put new locks and blue lock-tit on fender nuts.
and re-torqued everything on the trees 85% better
did not notice type of hack.
azharleydude
Posted 10/9/2014 11:24 PM (#80600 - in reply to #80220)

I ride an 03 Electra Glide and changed out my front forks with a Progressive Monotube Cartridge Fork Kit. It made a huge difference in the feel of the front end and if I remember it was less that $400 USD. Since installing the sidecar it still feels great and I have ordered 09 Tri-Glide triple trees to change the trail to help with the steering effort.
IndSlim
Posted 10/10/2014 1:35 PM (#80612 - in reply to #80600)

Regular

I have read that after raking out the front end it is no longer possible to ride the bike without the hack. Comments?
jaydmc
Posted 10/10/2014 2:24 PM (#80613 - in reply to #80220)

Expert

First off, you are not "Raking" the front end. To rake the front end you would either need to cut the frame and change the angle of the steering head or you could use off set bearing caps on the stem of the triple tree.
What you are doing is changing the angle of the forks internal to the triple tree's while this looks like "raking" it is not! Any company that tells you that the tree's are for "raking" the front end you should stay away from as they clearly do not under stand front end geometry.
When the angle of the forks are changed using triple tree's what you are doing is reducing trail. Reduced trail lowers the steering effort as a three wheeler be it a sidecar rig or a trike.
With reduced trail when you ride it as a two wheeler it rides a lot differently. When you move the handle bars to initiate a turn it takes more effort, when in the turn with stock tree's if the throttle is held steady if you were to let go of the bars the bike would tend to continue on at the same lean angle and as such continue to turn. With modified tree's if you let off pressure on the handle bars in a turn the bike will stand up and go straight.
So yes it is possible, but not recommended as you really have to be on top of things, no day dreaming going down the road. If you intend to ride the bike as a two wheeler for more then just emergency or getting it to the dealer for service you would be best off not changing the front end.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
IndSlim
Posted 10/10/2014 2:28 PM (#80614 - in reply to #80613)

Regular

Thanks Jay.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software