Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Once in awhile you can get shone the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" Jerry Garcia
- (Added by: Rustle)

Valkyrie 1500/Motorvation Formula II install
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

pago cruiser
Posted 9/26/2014 10:20 AM (#80325)
Subject: Valkyrie 1500/Motorvation Formula II install

Finally took the plunge and picked up a 2000 Valkrie, and now I'm transferring the Motorvation Formula II hack from my GL1200 to the Valk.

Anybody have numbers for a Valkyrie 1500 (97-2002) Motorvation Formula II install? I have talked to Gary at Motorvation, and have been trying to use his numbers.

For my GL1200/Formula II I used 9.5" lead, 51" track (inside bike tire to inside hack tire), and 3/8" toe in. Hack frame is about 9" rear and 8" front.

For the Valk, I fitted 1" longer shocks, and fitted an Austone car tire which itself was 2" taller. So now I can't get the rear of the frame at anything less than about 11" while still keeping it level left-right.

I'm personally ok with the higher number, as I like the higher ground clearance. But Gary swears it should be at 9" - 9.5", and I don't see how.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sidehacker51249
Posted 9/28/2014 11:00 AM (#80337 - in reply to #80325)
Subject: Re: Valkyrie 1500/Motorvation Formula II install

do you need a 9 inch 90 degree lower rear clevis tube instead of the 6 in 90 degree one you have now?
pago cruiser
Posted 9/28/2014 11:21 AM (#80338 - in reply to #80337)
Subject: Re: Valkyrie 1500/Motorvation Formula II install

Hm. I might. Thanks for the suggestion.
Still having minor issues getting the bottom front and top front mounts on the bike. I had them trial fitted to do my initial measurements, but then I pulled off to have some parts powdercoated; the stock Motorvation powder (or paint?) is an awful off color gray/with green tinges. Uck. Then when I started to do the final install, discovered the stock frame member that the u-fitting bolts to has some factory over-weld in the way, and the top mount hits the crashbar bolt. Need to resolve these b4 I can get back to the install... Do some weld grinding, a 1 hour trip into town for some machined spacers, etc etc.

I did get the front 18" long member inserted into the frame tube; after rigging a long drill bit with some sandpaper to clean the inside of the receiver. Got the tube in about 4" shy of where it needs to be: then it just stopped. I'm guessing the frame receiver tube is somehow distorted just enough to impede further progress. Once I get the front mounts resolved, need to then pull (hammer, beat, force, extricate) the slider tube out and cut about 4" off. What a pita...

So much for bolt on...
Sigh.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software