Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Getting old is natural, feeling old is optional!
- (Added by: marsha)

Steering modifications for BMW
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Skysarge
Posted 9/29/2014 9:17 PM (#80384)
Subject: Steering modifications for BMW

I have '78 R100RT with a side car on it now.
The steering on it is almost nonexistant, and requires a tremendous effort, and I do mean tremendous. Even at straight on highway speeds I can feel the resistance in the bars.
It was recommended I put in a special brace on the bike. Got one from one of you folks, forgot who. Makes a more secure mount on the bike, but did not solve steering.
I cannot put the triple trees in that extend the fork (rake?) as the forks would not be able to swing freely. On this fairing the forks go down through a lower section under and slightly behind the nose. At the angle the new braces would put the forks to where they will have no room for lateral swing.
I heard of a device that evidently bolts to the forks, and the wheel is then placed in it. I believe that brings the wheel forward a little.
It has been suggested I change the forks, as telescopic forks do not lend themselves to a sidecar setup.
So, I figure this is where I need to seek advice. I do not want to change the fairing, and to add to all I am retired and on a fairly tight budget. I do not want and cannot sink $$$$ into this, that I will not recover. I have already determined the bike has better resale if restored to original design.
Thanks in advance
Sarge
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 9/29/2014 10:49 PM (#80386 - in reply to #80384)
Subject: RE: Steering modifications for BMW

Expert

Lots of folks run rigs similar to yours without steering modifications. Yes, the steering is heavier than a solo bike but what you describe doesn't seem to be normal.

Can you tell us a little more about your rig?
Are you running regular motorcycle tires?
Is the head bearing in good order?
What tire pressure are you running?
Does the bike pull in either direction on the highway?
Did you do your own installation for the sidecar?
Can you tell us more about the "Brace" you installed?

You don't have a location listed in your profile. Where are you? Maybe there is an experienced sidecarist near you who could help.
Skysarge
Posted 9/30/2014 12:16 AM (#80389 - in reply to #80384)
Subject: Re: Steering modifications for BMW

I Will need to look at the bike if you need specifics.
However the tires I found are suggested in an article or on a forum.
Bearings have very little time/mileage on them, perhaps little more than a year.. Replaced when side care added
Tire pressure I do not know, but would be as prescribed on tires
Local independent BMW airhead put side car on. He said the used the specs he found for the hack. Do not know where he found those. Can ask
Brace i built by fellow who belongs to USA, had mc shop or side car acc shop. The brace is designed specifically for this model bike
Bike does not pull, but will follow road contour if I do not pay attention.
I am in Houston, TX
Thanks,
Sarge

Edited by Skysarge 9/30/2014 12:17 AM
SwampFox
Posted 9/30/2014 4:51 AM (#80391 - in reply to #80384)

Expert

Skysarge - 9/29/2014 9:17 PM

I have '78 R100RT with a side car.... steering ... requires a tremendous effort....
I cannot put the triple trees in that extend the fork (rake?) as the forks would not be able to swing freely. On this fairing the forks go down through a lower section under and slightly behind the nose. At the angle the new braces would put the forks to where they will have no room for lateral swing....

Sarge, have you seen the triple trees for your era BMW by Perry's Motorcycles & Sidecars up in Fort Worth (817-429-9922 or 817-877-5900). Rather than "raking" the angle, his trees extend the forks forward at the same angle. I don't know if the forks would clear your fairing with this type of modified tree, but his tree worked very well on a 1975 R90/Ural rig that I rode a couple of times.
jaydmc
Posted 9/30/2014 10:40 AM (#80392 - in reply to #80384)

Expert

I have never seen or ran Perry's set up but have heard lots of good things about it. Of course there is the leading link option. Not sure if Unit is still around but they use to make links for your bike. I had one on my R100/7 years ago. We are building a set of links right now for an R100RT and could make another set but you would need to order NOW as we are not tooling up for these, we are using a bike in the shop to build them and as such could build a second set. These are for Brembo brakes, we will not make leading links for ATE brakes.
The links go for $2800 and come with a new front fender. You will loose the rubber boots in your fairing with this set up.
What goes on the bottom of the forks are often called "Leading legs" we make these for a few bikes but not the BMW nor do we have any plans to ever offer them for the BMW. In general we only build legs for bikes with larger diameter fork tubes as most newer bikes have.
In the end wider bars might be your best bet due to budget issues. They help some. I also like to change to a sidecar specific flat profile tire on the front, does not due much for steering effort one way or the other but I find that you have less head shake and much better braking traction.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
draperg1
Posted 10/2/2014 10:51 AM (#80442 - in reply to #80384)

Veteran

I had a 75 R90S with a spirit eagle and had Perry,s modified triple trees. Installation took a couple of days as New mounts for the instruments and quarter fairing had to be fabricated. Ended up looking nice and the steering effort was greatly reduced. The units themselves looked awsome as they were machined from alumium and much heavier than stock. Also had to shorten the headlight mounting ears due to the extra thickness of top triple clamp. I would recomend them.
Bill D.
Skysarge
Posted 10/2/2014 2:55 PM (#80450 - in reply to #80392)

Thank you for your reply.
What I had thought would be a not-too expensive modification to my BMW is turning out to be the opposite.
Although the links you mention sound as though they may be a solution, they are not within my budget.
I have had some suggestions about changing forks, I may look into that.
Thank you again, my apologies for tardy reply.

Sarge

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software