Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. -- Robert Frost
- (Added by: bmwzenrider)

Poll Triple tree
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Triple tree
OptionAdded byResults
Please vote below:Joyce0 Votes - [0%]
yes - Al, NC DirectorAl Olme1 Votes - [0%]
aye KentKentK1 Votes - [0%]
yea - Lee, SC DirectorSwampFox1 Votes - [0%]
aye DonTax Man1 Votes - [0%]
Add your own option:

Posted 11/10/2004 6:09 PM (#5288)
Subject: Triple tree

Triple tree/Leading link forks.
Whats the best?
Best Regards
C.Bento

Edited by Xarneco 11/10/2004 6:11 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 11/11/2004 7:18 AM (#5296 - in reply to #5288)
Subject: RE: Triple tree

Am interested in this as well, as I bought a spare used TT for my Suzuki Cavalcade for possible winter project I have the name of only one source for conversion, in Canada. Anyone know of any others?
Vince in Nebraska
JayDauntless
Posted 11/11/2004 10:09 AM (#5297 - in reply to #5288)

Extreme Veteran

We have triple trees for many cruiser type bikes but not for the Cavelcade. Side-effects in Canada is really good at modifing stock triple tree's. We do them some times in house when we have the bike but when we have to do them mail order side-effects is the only company I trust in the world.
Of course we can also help out with leading links.
Jay Giese
Dauntless Motors Corporation
claude #3563
Posted 11/11/2004 11:08 AM (#5298 - in reply to #5288)

Expert

Both systems are designed to reduce the trail which ,in turn, reduces the steering effort.
The leading link front end has been around for many many years in various forms. It is, today, typically designed and utilized to reduce trail. Other advantages to consider is that it cancels any stiction that a conventional teloscopic forK system may have. Leading links will also, dependant upon design, create sort of an automatic anti-dive system in the front end. Many will actually allow the fron tend to raise on hard braking. The downsides of a leading link? Cost is one. Yes, they are more expensive than a tripe tree modification. It is , of course, up to the buyer's feelings on this as to whether the cost can create the value desired. Another 'downside' to some is the aesthetics a leading link.. This is a personal call of course.

Modified triple trees retain the stock type fork configuration. They do reduce trail and make steering less tiring. Keep in mind that stiction can be a challenge with stock forks. If you think about it we are hanging a wheel, brakes and so forth on the end of two large shock absorbers with springs in them. Forks can flex and if one works through bump and rebound differently than the other then the action of the two of them, not being in sinc, can be less than desirable. With today's forks being what they are, mass wise,the stiction is not as bad as it once was with previous designs. A good fork brace,properly installed, is a smart addition to curtail any stiction or flex that may be present. Triple tree mods are also less expensive than the leading link systems overall. Again, the cost -vs- value decision is arguable.

There are other ways to reduce the steering effort that many times may be overlooked. Some of these ideas should be considered and even tried prior to laying down the bucks for the leading link or triple tree conversion.
Wider handlebars do provide more leverage..a good thing.
A smaller rolling diameter front tire will reduce trail slightly.
Sliding the forks up through the triple trees will reduce trail slightly. Be aware that on some machines clearance can be a problem..so..be careful!
A fork swap can reduce trail. Example of this would be the XS1100 Yamaha Standard model with the XS1100 Special forks installed. The standard has the front axle in the center of the fork tubes and the special has it hung out front. By a simple fork swap trail can be reduced.
Another example is the K100 BMW. Front axle is located slightly behind the centerline of the fork tubes. Some of the Austrailian sidecarist , where K bikes seem to be very common, have simply turned the forks around (swapping them side to side) which moves the axle forward slightly, reducing trail.Note that this does put the brake calipers in front of the fork and under hard braking some have mentioned they would be concerned the caliper brackets would not hold up. From thise who I have spoken to this has not seemed to be the case at all...but..it is a design variation that drifts away from the original BMW design so you are on your own if you try it.

A discussion on this topic should not ignore the center hub systems that are becoming more prevelant,especially in European designs. At this time these are not common as a bolt on or as a simple upgrade so for the present these are not a real option to most.The rumor mill has it that these may soon become more readily available in this country.

Reducing trail can and does make for a more enjoyable ride. The thing that we see from time to time though is that someone installs a nice link front end and then adds a dampner that is so stiff they did little to nothing to reduce steering effort. Dampners are another topic of course. Bottom line is that you will not automatically need one because you have a sidecar on..some do some do not. For the ones that do the best advice is to only install as much as really needed.

A few other things to consider, especially for a new sidecar jockey. Learn to ride with the conventional front end. Yes, steering can

Edited by claude #3563 11/11/2004 11:11 AM

Posted 11/21/2004 12:16 PM (#5399 - in reply to #5296)

Originally written by photo45 on 11/11/2004 7:18 AM

Am interested in this as well, as I bought a spare used TT for my Suzuki Cavalcade for possible winter project I have the name of only one source for conversion, in Canada. Anyone know of any others?
Vince in Nebraska
Vince, we have a 'cade trike and I've contacted Steerite about modifying one. They can do it. What source did you find?? I haven't had this done yet, but may need two soon since we're seriously considering adding a sidecar rig to the "fleet". Already have 2 extra trees on hand.

Posted 11/21/2004 2:25 PM (#5402 - in reply to #5399)

Yes, Steerite is the only one I've found. Jay of Dauntless gives a vote of confidence for them. I bought what was listed as a Triple Tre off eBay, bout found I got the lower clamps only, not the upper. So I will need to find the upper before I can do anything. I have all winter, I guess. I may explore some of the options that Claude speaks of. Any suggestions for a replacement for the front tire with a smaller diameter (130 90 16" Dunlop) than mine. How does the Twin Tire, the only auto profile I can find for this size, compare for diameter? And without tearing into it, anybody have any idea how much the fork tubes can be raised?
Vince in Nebraska
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software