Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  Classified Ads -> Miscellaneous Sidecar Related Wanted -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Man who keep feet firmly on ground have trouble putting on pants!
- (Added by: JOECAPY)

Sidecar Brake System
Moderators: dave

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Classified Ads -> Miscellaneous Sidecar Related WantedMessage format

tjs067
Posted 10/21/2014 10:58 AM (#80774)
Subject: Sidecar Brake System

New User

We have a 2010 Ultra Classic. We have mounted a 1980 Motivation Roadster Royal sidecar. We are looking for the break system so we can have breaks on the sidecar. Motivation has the system but we were hoping to find used or aftermarket system. Thanks

Edited by tjs067 10/21/2014 11:52 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 10/21/2014 12:44 PM (#80776 - in reply to #80774)
Subject: RE: Sidecar Brake System

Expert

You won't find a direct bolt up system other than the one from Motorvation. Likewise the chances of finding a used system are slim. Your only hope for a used system is to find one off a crashed Motorvation sidecar. Good luck.

BTW, the majority of sidecars don't have brakes and they function just fine. I have three rigs and only one has a sidecar brake.
tjs067
Posted 10/21/2014 5:35 PM (#80779 - in reply to #80774)
Subject: Re: Sidecar Brake System

New User

Thanks Motivation is a bit pricey and an independent system, we are looking for a system plumed to out back brakes. Does anyone know anything about Perry Motorcycle and Sidecar in Fort Worth TX. W e are only an hour from Fort Worth.
jaydmc
Posted 10/22/2014 11:25 AM (#80789 - in reply to #80779)

Expert

Perry does great work however he is mainly into BMW's.
You could check with Motovation and see if they will sell you the brake with out their master. We have modified some Motovation sidecars to add a brake but usually only ones the Motovation can not or will not do as custom work is usually more expensive then buying parts from the manufacture.
We always tie our brake onto the rear brake on the FLH's and we do so with a quick disconnect coupler.
I seldom disagree with Al, this is one time when I must. At one time few sidecars had brakes. Now most sidecars have brakes and about 95% of the sidecars we sell have brakes. You may never need a brake, until the one time that you do, the cost of a brake is far less then the cost of even walking through the doors at an emergency room.
I see you have not been posting long, so one thing you may not be aware of, you can run an automotive tire on the rear of your bike on its stock wheel. Very much worth doing once you wear out the tire you now have.
Also, if it has not been done the front end can be modified for easier steering and reverse can be added to the bike. These are both things we can help you with.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Al Olme
Posted 10/22/2014 11:25 AM (#80790 - in reply to #80779)

Expert

Perry Bushong [sp?] has a great reputation. I'd trust him to come up with a custom solution but it might be more expensive than the Motorvation solution. If you're a bit of a tinkerer, I'm sure Motorvation would sell you the sidecar part of the brake kit and you could plumb it into your brake system. Most similar systems substitute a larger rear brake master and add a proportioning valve to properly balance the braking force. Good luck.
Al Olme
Posted 10/22/2014 11:45 AM (#80791 - in reply to #80789)

Expert

jaydmc - 10/22/2014 10:25 AM

Perry does great work however he is mainly into BMW's.
<>
I seldom disagree with Al, this is one time when I must. At one time few sidecars had brakes. Now most sidecars have brakes and about 95% of the sidecars we sell have brakes. You may never need a brake, until the one time that you do, the cost of a brake is far less then the cost of even walking through the doors at an emergency room.
<>
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Playing the death and dismemberment card, Jay? Looks like we were both typing at the same time. Well, I still feel that most sidecars [other than DMC products] don't have brakes, including Jay's new budget model, which is a heck of a deal. BUT I guess that at the end of the day, I'd rather have a sidecar brake than not have a sidecar brake. Yeah, I guess there might be a time where the [minimal] extra braking from a sidecar brake could make all the difference.
tjs067
Posted 10/22/2014 12:30 PM (#80793 - in reply to #80774)

New User

jaydmc: what would be the reason for "you can run an automotive tire on the rear of your bike on its stock wheel"
Thanks to all for the replys
jaydmc
Posted 10/22/2014 12:59 PM (#80794 - in reply to #80774)

Expert

When ever you add a sidecar to a motorcycle rear tire life is cut in about 1/2. Up until 2009 there were few options on the FLH's and all of these were expensive. In 2009 Harley widened the rear of the bike allowing for a wider rear wheel and tire. With the wider wheel there are now automotive options that will fit on the rear of the bike. Sorry, I do not remember what sizes fit.
The automotive tire not only lasts significantly longer, it is less money to buy, has more rubber on the ground, has a higher load capacity as well as running at a lower pressure it gives you a better ride quality. And should you get a puncture it can be patched. Only real down side is that you would not want to run the bike with out the sidecar.
BTW, I just read your original post again. There is a good chance that Motovation can no longer provide a brake for a sidecar made 34 years ago. We could but would need you to send us your swing arm and you might have to change bolt patterns on the wheel depending on what Motovation ran back in 1980
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Hack'n
Posted 10/22/2014 6:59 PM (#80797 - in reply to #80793)

Expert

I've used Bridgestone and Hankook size 195/55/16 tires on my 2010 FLHX tug with no clearance issues.. They last about twice as long as the Harley Dunlop. Cost (from Tire Rack) is about 1/3rd of the OEM Harley 180/16. The flat tread tire has about 3 times the footprint of the round motorcycle tire, offering better traction and braking.
The auto tire is run at lower pressure (I used 28psi) giving a much softer ride.

Lonnie

(Darkside tire changeover Hankook 7-'11 3.jpg)

(Darkside tire changeover Hankook 7-'11 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Darkside tire changeover Hankook 7-'11 3.jpg (621KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Darkside tire changeover Hankook 7-'11 1.jpg (631KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software